“Average Marriott” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Average Marriott”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

This is an average Marriott hotel located just a short walk from the Sprint Center, food, fun, and nightlife. There was never a wait for the elevators even though the hotel was packed. The king bed room was a good sized room with a love seat, lounging type chair, and a nice view of downtown. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning did work very well keeping the room nice and cool. The bathroom had a lot of counter space but was fairly small. The shower was terrible...there was very little water pressure. The TV was nice with a limited amount of channels. The paid internet was horrible. I had better speeds on my 3G phone than with the hotel "high speed" internet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the guest room and our downtown location to your liking. We look forward to serving your future travel needs at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown should you return to the Kansas City area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Andover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

While my husband and I visited Kansas City for a three day convention we were very disappointed in the quality and state of the guest rooms. We also could not believe that we were charged for internet usage in this day and age.
During our stay we did visit the hotel's lobby bar which seems to have been newly renovated and was very pleasant. We were served by the nicest bartender who seemed to know the area and things to do around town during our down times. She even went out of her way to make reservations for us at a local steak house that was outstanding. So if visiting Kansas City we highly suggest the 801 steak house and visiting Helen at the lobby bar for great service and reccomendations to local spots.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for staying with us at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our lobby bar and that Helen was helpful! I'll be sure to share your comments with her. We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your experience into a positive one!
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed here for five days and four nights while attending a conference.

CHECK-IN: Staff is very friendly and everyone says hello to you from the time you walk through the door. The lobby is gorgeous and I was very impressed. I arrived early (a little before 1pm) but the girl at the front desk said it was no problem and there was a room ready. I was waiting for the three other girls (we shared a room to cut costs) to arrive and I was the first one there.
I was initially given a room on the 9th floor of the main building. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. I decided I would take a nap while waiting for my friends since I had been up since 3 am (for the airport). About 5 pm I get a call from my friends asking where I am. They were on the 17th floor! I was given the wrong room. HOWEVER, I went downstairs to the front desk and got everything situated and they were very good about it.

The second night I moved to stay with other girls in the Muehlebach Tower. The room was clean but I do hate that they didn't have refrigerators or microwaves, especially since we were staying so many days. There was a hair dryer but it was in the closet. The Tower is definitely not as wonderful as the main building but it is very old.

As far as charge for incidentals goes.....I travel for business a lot and I know to expect this charge. HOWEVER, upon speaking with different people that were at the same conference, everyone seemed to be charged something different. I was charged $150 but another girl was charged $800????? And another was charged another amount??? It seems like they have to get their s**t together regarding this incidental charge. Maybe come up with some kind of consistent policy if they haven't already. Or maybe better training. All I know is that it DEFINITELY has to be corrected.

METROPOLITAN KC: This is the restaurant inside the hotel and it was delicious. Every meal we had here was outstanding. The breakfast buffet was delicious as well as dinner. Our dinner waiter seemed to be rushed though and even though he may have been...It's not our fault and I don't like feeling that way.

BAR: Had decent food, ok service--one of the bar staff told us the blue KC martini (whatever it is called) was horrible and that she only made one or two a year. When we asked her to make it anyway she gave us a weird look. The drink is supposed to come with "house made lemon sorbet", however, right in front of us, she scooped out some kind of orange ice cream out of a Ben & Jerry's container and plopped it in the drink. Nice (sarcastic).

There is a fitness center and a pool but I wasn't able to check out either. A friend that used both said she really enjoyed it and the machines are great.

This hotel is in an area close to the Power and Light district. We had fabulous mexican food and you MUST check out "Howl at the Moon" bar. They had dueling pianos and we had a blast.

Check out was incredibly simple and the front desk was able to separate our checks between the three of us with ease. I honestly didn't even know they could do that!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building...it's much nicer!!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thanks for your comments about your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate you adding your experience--we are always listening to our Guests. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed there one night on a Saturday during a Silpada jewelry conference but I was not affiliated with this conference in any way. When we arrived, a woman was yelling at the front desk staff. She didnt want to put down a credit card for incidientals and felt yelling was the best way to get around that. I waited while the front desk girl and another guy explained why and finally she stormed off yelling at someone on her phone. The front desk guy ( I think his name was Matt Layne, maybe) was amazing. The hotel was absolutely packed but he worked promptly to get us checked in and to our room asap. We were in the Mueleback Tower and I loved it. It was far away from the hustle and bustle of that conference but had its own entrance so when we walked to surrounding nightlife, we were able to get back into our tower without going to the main tower. Check out the parlor suites, they are awesome and HUGE! It was 2 rooms a living/dining room and a bedroom but it was actually 2 rooms with 2 different room numbers. If you want space and luxury, stay here. Part of our stay included a voucher to Power and Light. While the voucher wasnt readily available, the staff did say that they would get it asap and get it to our room. I appreciated not having to wait since we were still wet from being at Oceans of Fun so I thought this was very considerate. The voucher came within 30 minutes which I thought was very prompt considering how busy they were. The room was clean and there were 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs and a very comfortable bed. The bedroom TV was fuzzy but we didnt care, we werent there to watch tv anyways. I probably should have told them so they could fix it. We ate breakfast in the restaurant there and had the buffet. It was delicious, the staff was amazing and it was a very nice upscale hotel restaurant. I left my flat iron there and didnt notice until I got home. I called and the lost and found gentleman who was working had it there and said he would mail it to me and I didnt even have to pay to ship it. I thought the staff was top notch and I was treated amazingly.

Room Tip: Great location, great staff
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thanks for staying with us at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Matt at the Front Desk was helpful with your check-in! I'll be sure to share your comments with him. Many thanks for your great comments about our restaurant and guestrooms. We look forward to serving your travel needs should you return to the Kansas City area.
Sasakwa, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights for a conference in a room with 3 other people and had to put up a credit card for a charge of $250 A PERSON, $1000 just IN CASE we charged room service. Was not told of this until we arrived. It was refunded if we didnt use anything but could take up to 30 days. The crazy thing is, there are no mini fridges, microwaves, mini bars or even hairdryers in the rooms! No breakfast, really surprised by this chain, i won't stay at a marriott again. The service was average, didn't get our rooms cleaned until about 4pm everyday. My colleagues will not stay here again. The only thing good about this was it was within walking distance to our events.

1 Thank Brandy R
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I will address your comments with my team and use your feedback to make improvements where needed. We hope that the next time you're in the area you will consider staying with us again.
West Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Seriously, do NOT let them stick you in the Muehlebach Tower. It's old. It smells. And it's not easy to get to. You don't have easy access to the beautiful fitness center or the dining facilities. Everything is in the main building. Our room cards didn't work. Our room reeked of Ben Gay and the air conditioning was trying it's best and failing miserably. The furnishings are old and beat up. I don't think I've ever been afraid to leave my clothing in a Marriott before, but nothing came out of the suitcase in this hotel. After hours you cannot enter the building except by main entrance and the area is very sketchy so beware.

I complained to the front desk and it was obvious that she was used to hearing these complaints and just didn't care. All I got was a tired, blank stare and a canned response, "Would you like me to send maintenance up to try to fix ________" Really??? How is maintenance going to remove Ben Gay odor? I am disappointed and disgusted.

I only gave the hotel 2 stars (rather than 1) because the main building is gorgeous. (what we got to experience of it - I didn't see the rooms) The Fitness Center is First rate with beautiful views as you work out. The lobby was just as you want from a Marriott. Classy and beautiful, fresh lemon water, friendly staff....then you walk the nearly half mile to the M Tower and enter into a whole different world. Badly done, Marriott.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Muehlebach Tower!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay as we do appreciate your feedback. I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction. We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your experience into a positive one!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I wasn't terribly impressed with this property. It was average. I expect more from a Marriott. The rooms were okay,but, very dated. This hotel desperately needs a renovation. The staff was pleasant. It is doubtful if I would return to this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
We appreicate your feedback and want to thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your negative experience into a positive one!