“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Tempe, Arizona
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was a great location, and a short 25 minute drive from the airport.The hotel has a nice atmosphere and pleasant common areas. The breakfast buffet had great food and a decent value for a downtown hotel location. The rooms were clean and basic, but very adequate. The staff encountered was very friendly, and seemed to be willing to go out of their way to accommodate our needs.

My only complain was the elevators in the main hotel. I am not sure if some were down for construction, or what the issue may have been, but we regularly had to wait more than FIVE minutes for an elevator. I have never been to ANY building that was like this, and on our elevator ride down to checkout we waited FIFTEEN minutes for the elevator that never seemed to come and ended up carrying all our heavy bags down the stairwell which was not entirely pleasant.

The fitness center has beautiful views and nice modern equipment, being located on the top floor.

Other than the elevator issues, this was a nice, centrally located downtown hotel and I would consider staying here again on a future visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Valerie M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast at Metro KC restaurant and found your room accommodations comfortable. I am pleased that our staff were friendly and they accommodated all of your needs. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the delay in the elevators. We are currently renovating them so they will be quick and more efficient. I am so sorry that you had to carry your bags down the stairwell. I can assure you that this is not the norm. We look forward to your next visit in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Olathe, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We started off with a full parking garage, but with quite a load for a bachelorette party, we opted for Valet (mind you at $21, the most I've paid at any hotel), where the valets ignored me for 15 minutes to give us a ticket, didn't help us get a cart or load, and were quite rude. The hotel was fine with the exception that we found it very odd that at $150/night, we didn't have a minifridge, a fan in the bathroom, or normal bathroom amenities (ie hand soap or hair dryer). Upon checking out, we waited 15-20 minutes for an elevator (there are 5!) and none came. We finally we back to room and once a bellboy came, had to take the service elevator down. If we weren't already flustered enough, we took our tickets to the valet, and after 35 minutes of waiting, we checked back with them and they forgot to get our cars! Marriott did comp our valet, but that was after screaming and frustration as we were now late to events for the day. The one thing I can rave about are the bell boys, especially Robin. They were so courteous and went above and beyond to try to expedite and right the items they could control. I will NEVER be staying here again as taking over 90 minutes to get out of the hotel is beyond repair.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review that was posted on March 30th. I am so sorry to hear about the concerns you experienced with the parking and the delay in the elevator service during your recent stay. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction, and we did not meet yours or our own expectations. I am pleased that the Bellman were able to assist you and they went above and beyond to meet your needs. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact Beth Muehlhauser at 816-421-6800. Thank you again for your feedback.
Stilwell, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here following a dinner in the hotel recently. The hotel is well located downtown if you are going to the Bartle Convention Center. However it is not as close as others to the Sprint Arena or Power & Light entertainment and dining complex. Rooms are large, clean and well appointed. There is a fitness center and indoor pool on the top floor with a great view. Like most "city" hotels - parking, internet and most everything comes with a charge.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room accommodations and the Fitness Center. Our hotel is directly across from Bartle Hall Convention Center and a couple of blocks from Power & Light Entertainment and the Sprint Center. We just completed a renovation on one of our Ballrooms and additional meeting room areas and we are currently working on the schedule to renovate our second Ballroom and meeting room areas on the Muehlebach side. We are very excited about the new look. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to being your host hotel again in the future.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Downtown location is a swift 25 minute drive from the airport. Located at walking distance from popular restaurants esp BBQ places like jack stack and others.
Great service, clean rooms, bar in the lobby -all in all excellent place to stay!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Valerie M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown when you traveled here on business. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and had an excellent visit with us. We look forward to being your host hotel again, when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Location was great for very large conference but the hotel is actually two separate buildings. We obviously stayed in the older hotel, that did not have any amenities on the premise. All restaurants were located in the original hotel. I am assuming that all construction will include upgrading rooms as well. They did a great job considering there were 5000 to 6000 people in the area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
David T, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned we are renovating numerous areas of the hotel to make for a better guest experience and hope that you come back and see the improvements when they are complete. Again, thank you for staying with us and for your review.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four days in March. It's conveniently located downtown, within walking distance to restaurants, bars, nightlife and entertainment venues. Fantastic views from all rooms from the fifth floor up. Stunning lobby and bar - perfect place for meeting for a drink with colleagues. I found the staff to be friendly, always greeting me with a smile and a hello. Both maintenance and the doormen were friendly and helped me with all of my requests.

However, the thing that really brought down my rating of the property was the actual room itself. I was greeted with a musty/mildew smell everytime I opened the door into my room. Air fresheners, opening the windows, running the air or heat didn't alleviate the smell. Housekeeping was a big miss. At first glance the room was clean, but when one takes a closer look they're greeted with beaten up furniture, stained sheets, and dust in obvious places. Housekeeping kept moving and rearranging my already neatly placed toiletries on the counter. Moving them to a towel one day, moving them to another counter the next. One housekeeper knocked over the iron left over on my ironing board, leaving the ironing board to get soaked from the overturned water - leaving the ironing board useless. The ironing board cover, when not soaking wet, was super thin and left patterns on my clothing when pressing. The TV channels were lacking - the Russia Channel was available, but not A&E, FX, Bravo, or any other popular channels. The "courtesy" in room wifi was SLOW, clearly a tactic to have me upgrade for a nominal fee (like 9.99 a night) to the high speed wifi. I found paying for internet (which I refused to do) completely tacky, I've stayed in much nicer hotels, for less money, and have never paid for wifi. It's something that's expected, and something I feel the Marriott can afford with the rates they charge. However, the most problematic thing I found was the lack of insulation/soundproofing. I heard every toilet around me flush, my next door neighbor snoring, my other next door neighbor's loud returns from the bar (so loud, sounded like they were in my room) and other things that I shouldn't hear. It was disappointing, and I found that my sleep suffered a bit from it. I couldn't move -- the hotel was fully booked. Thankfully, my next door neighbors either left or passed out and I finally got some peace.

Would I return to this hotel? If I my employer was paying for it, sure. The location and staff can't be beat. But, if I were spending my own money, I'd go somewhere else that didn't try to nickle and dime me.

Room Tip: Floors five and above have awesome views of the city and surrounding areas.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Valerie M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed Bar Central in our Main Lobby and that all of our staff were Brilliant hosts to you during your stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your room accommodations and with the noise nearby. I would like to be speak to you further on your experience. At your convenience, please contact Beth Muehlhauser at 816-421-6800.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to speaking to you.
colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Attended a small Conference held in the hotel. Perfect for our numbers and great central location to downtown sites. Walked to restaurants, bars and entertainment venues at all hours alone and felt perfectly safe. A popular hotel for other conferences, etc due to that very fact. Slow elevators, but I'd rather have the view, get a little exercise and plan ahead for the trip back up. Food and service at the conference provided by the hotel were top notch. Got to know a few of that staff and all were on their toes and great at their jobs. KC was a pleasant surprise; I would definitely return with my family for a short vacation, in part due to downtown and how it was represented by this property.

Stayed February 2014
David T, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thanks for staying with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed you r experience with us. Hope you will come and visit us again when you take that family trip.