“Great Service”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Even though the rooms may have seemed a little old and outdated, the service made up for it. There is an "indoor" pool on the roof along with a great work out room. The breakfast for elite members was great with salmon locks every morning and the evening snacks were delicious and plentiful. The hotel is also in a great downtown location close to everything. You can also take a bus to anywhere you need to go, make sure you try the BBQ while you are in town.

Room Tip: The southern exposure is more scenic than the north
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you very much for the very nice comments about your recent stay. I am delighted you liked the location of the hotel and that our staff gave you authentic hospitality. Thank you for your loyalty for being a Marriott Rewards member and I am pleased that you enjoyed the food in our Concierge Lounge. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for Planet Comic-con 2014 and it was a good hotel! The hotel was very packed full of people though, but that is expected since everything that was going on (March Madness and Comic-con). The rooms were very clean and the view was excellent! I would highly recomend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your review. Our staff enjoyed your conference at the hotel. It was a very exciting time for the hotel and the city with the many planned festivities in the area. I am delighted you enjoyed your view and our room accommodations. We look forward to your next visit to the Kansas City Marriott Downtown.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Kansas City Marriott for a conference. The hotel is huge making it ideal for conferences and large events. The conference space was nice and the catering was excellent. My sleeping room was not in the main building. The rooms are in need of a refresh and there were no outlets in the sleeping area. I had to charge my phone in be bathroom and it wasn't an ideal set up for working. The rooms were clean.
I was very unhappy with the shipping policies. The staff could not find a box I has sent to the hotel. After several hours they finally took me to the mailroom and the package was sitting on the shelf with my name on it. I was happy it was resolved until they charge me a $10 shipping fee. They also charge $10 if you send something, plus $5 for free fedex boxes. I just walked to the Fedex Kinkos on walnut street. While I understand charging for conference shipping, these fees are outrageous for business and leisure travelers.
Throughout our stay, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the atmosphere of the bar and it's specialty cocktails. It was a nice space for networking with other conference goers. I also appreciated the free wifi in the guest rooms.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments regarding your recent visit. Our Hotel is ideal for conventions as we have a lot of meeting room space with both buildings. I am pleased that your conference and meal functions were excellent! We will be soon starting on our renovations for the public areas and meeting rooms in the Muehlebach Tower and once that is completed we will be starting on our guest rooms. The final plans are being reviewed and additional outlets in the guest rooms is one of the items that we are looking at enhancing. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when your package could not be located. I am glad the hotel staff did find it for you. I will share your comment about the shipping charges to the appropriate management so they may review procedures. I am delighted that our staff were friendly and assisted you through our your stay. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Slowest elevators in the Midwest, probably. Even with five, it could take ten minutes to get done from a high floor. Rooms are typical Marriott, but a bit shabby. The bathtub was slimy. You certainly did not want to take a bath and your feet felt unclean after a shower. The in-room amenities were Spartan and haphazardly displayed.

The lobby bar was good, with excellent service. The breakfast buffet was a notch above most Marriotts.

I would choose a Courtyard next time, if the excellent downtown location was not important.

Room Tip: If you want to get to the lobby quickly, go for a lower floor. Elevators are very slow. Views from...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your review on your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed Bar Central and the breakfast buffet in our Metro KC Restaurant. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the cleanliness in your guest room and for the delay in the guest elevators. Our goal is to have 100% satisfaction and I apologize that we did not meet this goal. When you have a moment please contact me so we can further discuss your recent stay. I can be reached at 816-421-6800. Look forward to speaking to you soon.

Beth Muehlhauser
Director of Loss Prevention & VIP Services

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Service was good. Rooms were clean. I had a great view of the city from the 21st floor. The hotel is in a fantastic location near the Power and Light district. It's definitely on the higher-end of the Marriott scale.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the very nice review of the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your view from the 21st floor and that you liked the location of our property. We look forward to being your host hotel again when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

It was a beautiful hotel in downtown Kansas City, MO with all the expected amenities and pleasant staff. They provided a play pen for our son and a fridge for storing his formula and were generally very helpful when providing dinner recommendations. The hotel is walking distance from some great eating areas and was easy to get to but you will need a car to get to the country club plaza.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
David T, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we were able to meet your needs. If you are ever in the Kanas City area again I hope you will choose to stay with us.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My family and I were in Kansas City for a graduation celebration and we stayed 3 nights at the Downtown Marriott. The location was terrific; we were able to walk to many restaurants and stores, and rarely had to use our car. When we did need to drive, the valet was amazingly quick - the car was always ready for us by the time we got to the lobby.

The kids favorite was the pool! It was surprisingly large for an indoor pool and when the sun shone, it didn't feel like indoor as the skylights were plentiful. Though we didn't use it, we saw many guests using the fitness center, and the people who worked there were always so pleasant.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet on 2 mornings, and found the food very fresh and the service very helpful. One of our children doesn't eat breakfast food, but the restaurant accommodated him with a special meal and for that we were very grateful.

Our rooms were beautiful! The southern view of the city was awesome, lots of natural light from the windows. The beds were uber comfy with down-style comforters and pillows. Housekeeping was terrific (and very fast!) and quickly helped us with a request for more pillows.

Our family highly recommends the Marriott Downtown - every need was fulfilled and the staff was always so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
David T, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post the nice review of our Hotel. I am so glad to hear that you had an exceptional stay and that our staff and location meet your needs so well. If you travels bring you back to Kansas City I hope you will let us serve you again. Thank you again for your review.