“Very impressed”

Ranked #21 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Rake, Iowa
“Very impressed”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I traveled here over the weekend of Aug. 1st. We stayed two nights, along with 2 busloads of coworkers. The Hote staff were the Most friendly and polite as we have ever encountered. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is only about 8 blocks from the Power and Light district so easily walkable. There is a gorgeous swimming pool on the top floor that overlooks the whole city.

Room Tip: Higher up the better for the view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
We wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown and we thank you for the business. I am so glad you were able to experience our authentic Marriott Hospitality from our staff and that you liked the location of the hotel in the city. Thank you for your very nice comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I checked in very late (after midnight) and the woman working the overnight shift as well as the security guard were both very nice and helpful. Also the young lady delivering my room service at 6:00am was delightful. The room was clean and exactly as you would expect when staying at a full service Marriott. The only issue I had was use of the parking garage and not getting adequate information from the front desk regarding it's use. When checking in the agent asked if I'd parked in the garage and I told her yes, which resulted in the parking charge automatically being charged to my room, which is fine. Upon checking out, however, I was not given any instruction on how to exit the garage and was unaware I needed to ask.
There is a booth at which you either pay or swipe your room key to get out. I had just checked out and therefore returned my keys to the front desk. There was nothing/no one at the garage booth to help. For a number of years I managed the front desk at various hotels. Seeing that the first item on my bill was the parking garage use is something these front desk agents should pay attention to and let the guest know that they need to retain their keys in order to exit the parking lot.
Because of the lack of information I ended up paying twice, once at the pay station and once charged to my room. Upon calling I was told by a front desk agent that, "this happens all the time." While she assured me there should be no problem being refunded the extra charge, I lost a little faith in the staff. As I said this is something that they should notice when a guest is checking out, particularly if it has happened more than once.

Room Tip: I was happy to find that I randoml was given a room with a nice view. I had requested something high...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that our staff welcomed you and were able to assist you with your room accommodations quickly and that you had a nice experience with Room Service the next morning. It appears that we failed to communicate instructions on exiting our parking garage and I am so sorry that we dropped the ball on giving you this information. I can imagine your frustration and can assure you that we will address this with the appropriate staff. We appreciate you feedback and hope that you will choose our hotel again in the future.
Plantation FL
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Good hotel to stay at for downtown conventions, stayed in historic Maulback tower, nice rooms, must see old lobby area used for events. Convenient to entertainment area and convention center, all walking distance.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us. The Kansas City Marriott Downtown is across the street from the Convention Center and is ideal for big conventions that come to the city. The Muehlebach Tower is historic and we get many compliments of the original Lobby and I am glad that you had a chance to experience it. Thank you for your review.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Spent three nights here while attending training in KC. The valet service was right on time with retrieving our car and everyone was friendly-although when it is like that you KNOW they have all received training and direction to greet every guest with a smile and a hello. Check in was quick and the concierge gave us a great recommendation for a dinner date location and even a free appetizer coupon. The common areas are quite beautiful and I can see why there are multiple events held there. The room was clean and had been updated. The hike from the main hotel into the tower was significant but not awful. The free internet service was quite slow and prevented me from doing much work while I was there. If you need fast internet be prepared to pay a daily fee. The parking fee added a heft to my bill, but you expect that in a downtown hotel. One fun thing was watching the light display on the front of the main building, we found it quite entertaining for a short while, although another person at the training found it annoying when it shone in his window. Our only meals taken here were at the coffee kiosk but the food was acceptable and the coffee was good. Our only complaint was that the elevator was just down the hall and the bell was loud enough to disturb our sleep and our view was of a roof and some air conditioning units. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators in the Muehlebach Tower and ask for something with a decent view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am very pleased that you received quick and efficient service from our Valet staff. They do have a great training program and we are delighted they greet all of our guests with a smile and a warm welcome. In your comments you mentioned that you had a smooth check in and that our Concierge staff assisted you with a great restaurant for dinner. I am pleased they assisted you with suggestions and restaurant options during your business trip. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the internet connection. We are currently upgrading our Internet to be more quick and efficient and this should be completed by mid September. We are glad that you had fun watching the light display on the building at night. We get many compliments and it is entertaining. I will notify the appropriate management on your comment about the elevator noise from the bell and see if this can be corrected. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.
Clarklake, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel was reasonably priced, a full service hotel with exceptionally friendly staff and awesome ameneties. We stayed 2 nights and went to 2 Tiger baseball games. You can walk to all of downtown locations easily including Power and Light district. The pool is full size, clean and very enjoyable. The staff were VERY friendly, Robin found me a newspaper to read one morning though the complimentary papers were all gone, this was so appreciated! A large lounge area in the lobby area with coffee shop and comfortable places to enjoy morning coffee and paper. This hotel was significant in creating a wonderful weekend experience.

Room Tip: We made no special requests, our room was a standard King room, large and comfortable.
Green Features: They encourage people to be conservative in requesting daily towels and sheets to conserve water use.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the very nice review of the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and the excellent service that you received from our staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the future to give you another wonderful experience. Thank you again for you comments.
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed here for a family ladies weekend and due to its distance from the Sprint Center for the Cher Concert. We had 2 adjoining rooms on the front of the hotel which offered an amazing view from its bay windows. Beds were comfortable but nothing special. Bathrooms were large so a couple of us could do hair/makeup at a time. Hallways were noisy as it seemed the hotel was extremely busy that weekend. Along with being busy the elevators were difficult to get as we had to wait for several minutes to go up and down. Upon leaving we stood waiting for an elevator for 20 minutes on our floor until I used the phone to call the front desk who advised one of the elevators was broken and directed us to use the service elevator around the corner. Overall, happy with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay earlier this summer. Our hotel is so close to many local attractions and the Sprint Center is one of them. I am happy that you found the guest rooms comfortable, but I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the noise in the hall and with the elevator delay. We are currently upgrading all of our elevators to be quicker and more efficient and once this is completed it will be more convenient for our guests. I am glad that our staff assisted you with getting to the Lobby. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for choosing the Kansas City Marriott Hotel to spend your family ladies weekend.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel itself is very clean and convenient to events going on downtown. It has a nice and quiet concierge lounge. We usually stay at Marriott brand properties because it provides a sense of quality that one can expect from one hotel to the next.

At this hotel, we found a few very clear disappointments. The room service management is badly in need of new leadership. We ordered a late meal, around 11pm. It never showed up. We called to cancel the food and then it showed up around 1am with a loud banging on the door. The following morning we were awoken to a yelling cleaning lady banging on our door and the others on our floor around 8am. Not a huge deal, but when you're already checking out that day, not sure why she needed to get in our room so early.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We are happy that you like the location of the Kansas City Marriott Downtown and that you find the Concierge Lounge to be nice and quiet. In your comments it appears that we dropped the ball on your Room Service experience. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you described. I can assure you that this is not the norm and we will address it with the appropriate management. In addition, I would like to apologize when you were awoken the next morning by our Housekeeping staff. We will speak to the Housekeeping Management to ensure the staff is being quiet when they are on the guest room floors. I appreciate that you stay at Marriott Brand Properties and we thank you for your loyalty. If you would like to speak to me further about your stay, please feel free to contact me.

Beth Muehlhauser