“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Marriott hotel was perfect. The rooms were clean, the staff was quick and efficient and very courteous. It's a walk away from the convention center. The bar in the lobby has great drinks and even better food. The beds and pillows are comfortable. It's probably a mile away from the power and light district. I definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Kansas City!

• Stayed August 2014
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
We appreciate your comments and that you thought the Kansas City Marriott Downtown was perfect for you. I am pleased that you liked your room accommodations and the location of the hotel. It is so close to the Convention Center and a couple of blocks from the Power & Light District. Bar Central is a great socializing area and I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the food and the drinks. Thank you for recommending our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Beaver, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Downtown Marriott, Kansas City, MO hosted a national conclave of my college fraternity (DU) recently. Every aspect was world class and high end. I've rarely been so pampered and accommodated by every staff and manager I encountered. I'm not just sugar coating it to be nice. I am not a difficult hotel patron, but I can be discerning about comfort and amenities. The lobbies were beautiful and elegently decorated. We brought close to 500 guests and required a variety of meeting rooms from large banquet to intimate corporate gatherings. I didn't observe one glitch. Two banquet room luncheons rivaled any sophisticated dinner presentations. It's hard to say that the formal dinner was any better by comparison, but just the same it was over the top from the menu to the service to tableware to linens to the Hollywood style production values for the program presentation and speakers. Honestly, it blew my sox off. Highest marks all around.

Room Tip: There's a main tower with the most elegant lobbies and amenities and also an annex tower across...
Green Features: Did not observe environmentally-friendly practices, though I expect they exist. I was too busy enjoying the plush surroundings.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for allowing the Kansas City Marriott Downtown to host your conference. Your group was great to work with and we thoroughly enjoyed being a Brilliant host to all of your attendees. I am so delighted that you enjoyed the property for your meetings and your meal functions. It made me smile when you wrote "Knocked my sox off in Kansas City". I will share your very nice comments about your formal dinner will all of our staff. Thank you again for your feedback and when your conference comes back to Kansas City we look forward to being your host hotel again.
Iowa
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was in KCMO for a conference and this hotel was chosen for me. It was very comfortable, right across the street from the conference centre and quite lovely. The buffet was very good, had excellent choices for all of us with special dietary requirements including celiac disease, beef and pork avoidance, and vegan/vegetarian. The staff were so friendly and the facilities very clean. The gym on the 22nd floor has a great view of the fountain and park plus the nearby buildings. Great place to stay and I'd definitely come again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the fountain. It's lovely. The other side of the hotel is facing...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your very nice comments regarding your recent visit to our property. I am so glad your conference chose the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. Our Chefs and our servers are on top of our guests dietary needs and I am glad that you thought the choices you had were excellent. Our Fitness Center does have great views of the city and the Convention Center across from the hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on July 25, 2014. We were in town for a Royals game and also wanted to check out the College Basketball Experience at the Sprint Center (which is a short walk from the hotel). We arrived in KC around 3pm (check in time) and only one of our two rooms was ready. It ended up not being a big deal as we were heading out anyway, but just be aware. The associate did say that she would call housekeeping and put a rush on it. The hallways are dark and dated, but the rooms were bright and spacious. I did not have issues with the wi-fi as some others stated but I was pleasantly surprised that they had a free option at a full service Marriott. The self parking was convenient in a garage under the hotel (for $16/night), but we had issues using our key to get out and since it is not manned and I did not want to pay twice, I had to park, go back upstairs, wait in line and ask for another key. Our friends used the pool and said it was average other than it was on a high floor which the kids thought was cool. We had a nice view from our room. My main gripe would be the elevators. They were EXTREMELY slow so were also very crowded and VERY hot. They could definitely use a fine tuning. Otherwise a decent stay at a decent hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with trying to leave our parking garage and with our guest elevators. We are currently upgrading our elevators to be more quick and efficient. This project is ongoing and does take a lot of time, but we are looking forward to the new system. We try to have several room types available at 3 pm for our guests check in, but there are times that we get in a pinch and one of the room types might not be available. I am pleased that the agent mentioned that she could put a rush on your room. The parking information is very important and I will make sure we are communicating this effectively to our guests. Again my apologies for your inconvenience. I hope that you had a great weekend at the Royals game and the College Basketball Experience. If your travels bring you back to Kansas City we hope that you will stay with us again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have stayed at this Marriott before, and the people work very hard, it is clean, and well managed. I will definitely stay there again. However, had a few issues this time to consider for next stay. First of all, maybe just a bad day, but their wireless internet is incredibly slow all over the place. I ended up using my cell phone hot spot which was much faster. I recommend staying in the Marriott tower instead of the Muehlebach. Or maybe the Muehlebach is ok, just be sure not to get a room ending in "57". They are corner rooms, which are the size of a closet, and there is no real desk in there. So that combined with lack of functioning internet makes that bad for business travelers. I am sure they would have moved me if I had asked, but I didn't so my own fault. The fitness center is excellent. It is in an excellent location too with easy access to convention center and restaurants. So definitely stay there, just bring your hot spot and avoid the Muehlebach 57s!

1 Thank FunTravelerXOXO
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoy our hotel and that you liked the service you receive. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the internet. We are currently upgrading our internet and once it is completed it should be a smoother connection and be more efficient. This should be completed by mid - September. Our Fitness Center is excellent and I am glad that you were able to utilize it. I do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with your room. We do have many room types and we can assist anyone with their room preference. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to your next visit.
Rake, Iowa
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I traveled here over the weekend of Aug. 1st. We stayed two nights, along with 2 busloads of coworkers. The Hote staff were the Most friendly and polite as we have ever encountered. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is only about 8 blocks from the Power and Light district so easily walkable. There is a gorgeous swimming pool on the top floor that overlooks the whole city.

Room Tip: Higher up the better for the view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Beth M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
We wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown and we thank you for the business. I am so glad you were able to experience our authentic Marriott Hospitality from our staff and that you liked the location of the hotel in the city. Thank you for your very nice comments.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I checked in very late (after midnight) and the woman working the overnight shift as well as the security guard were both very nice and helpful. Also the young lady delivering my room service at 6:00am was delightful. The room was clean and exactly as you would expect when staying at a full service Marriott. The only issue I had was use of the parking garage and not getting adequate information from the front desk regarding it's use. When checking in the agent asked if I'd parked in the garage and I told her yes, which resulted in the parking charge automatically being charged to my room, which is fine. Upon checking out, however, I was not given any instruction on how to exit the garage and was unaware I needed to ask.
There is a booth at which you either pay or swipe your room key to get out. I had just checked out and therefore returned my keys to the front desk. There was nothing/no one at the garage booth to help. For a number of years I managed the front desk at various hotels. Seeing that the first item on my bill was the parking garage use is something these front desk agents should pay attention to and let the guest know that they need to retain their keys in order to exit the parking lot.
Because of the lack of information I ended up paying twice, once at the pay station and once charged to my room. Upon calling I was told by a front desk agent that, "this happens all the time." While she assured me there should be no problem being refunded the extra charge, I lost a little faith in the staff. As I said this is something that they should notice when a guest is checking out, particularly if it has happened more than once.

Room Tip: I was happy to find that I randoml was given a room with a nice view. I had requested something high...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that our staff welcomed you and were able to assist you with your room accommodations quickly and that you had a nice experience with Room Service the next morning. It appears that we failed to communicate instructions on exiting our parking garage and I am so sorry that we dropped the ball on giving you this information. I can imagine your frustration and can assure you that we will address this with the appropriate staff. We appreciate you feedback and hope that you will choose our hotel again in the future.