“Superb, friendly, classic hotel overlooking the Plaza!”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas
“Superb, friendly, classic hotel overlooking the Plaza!”
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for years, the location is wonderful overlooking the famed Country Club Plaza, modeled after Seville, Spain. the Spanish and Moorish deisgn is site to be seen. In fact, seeing it from your room, a restaurant, pool area or the Concierge Lounge is wonderful. The interior is rich, classic and full of old world charm. The lounge and restaurant area on the main floor is a great place to sit and relax in one of the many sitting areas/nooks. The valet, bell staff, concierge, front desk are super friendly and attentive. I have held several Birthday, Baby & Bridal Shower Teas from the 12th floor overlooking the Plaza and they have been very special and have created lifetime memories. The service, food preparation, set up etc, were flawless each time. We particuarily enjoy the Concierge Lounge which does offer hors d'oerves, drinks and a fantastic continental breakfast. ( Best Value). In addition, you have the services of the Concierge Staff to tend to any request or advice you may need. I, too like other reviewers wish the internet was complimentary. (Concierge Lounge does have a complimentary computer terminal) however, I am used to paying for this service in many upscale hotels and for the price I get at the Kansas City Intercontinental, I can live with the cost. It is the only place I will stay at on the Plaza, it is by far superior to any other hotel in KC area.
The Non View Suite is my favorite and if you book an adjoining Classic bedroom its makes a great option if you need 2 rooms, It is larger than Plaza View Suite and feels like an apartment. The suite includes Concierge access and the adjoining room works great for kids or another couple. It does not have an indoor pool but the outdoor pool in season is spectacular, with multiple seating areas and very large pool with outdoor poolside bar. As with any hotel, you may occasionally have a problem, however if you do they handle it quickly and effciently- this is a sign of an excellent management and they feel like extended famiy. My favorite place to stay in USA!

Room Tip: Book Concierge Level for drinks, snacks, breakfast
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DorothyOz
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Reading your response early this morning was a great way to start the day!

We have many goals at the hotel and exceeding every guest's expectation is certainly at the top of the list. There is no greater validation relative to the efforts of our team then to receive a review such as yours. Thank you! Please know your kind words will be shared with our entire staff.

We will look forward to serving you on your next trip to KC. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at 816.303.2901 or at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com if I may do anything to assist you during your future stays with us.

Again, thank you very much for your kind words.

Don Breckenridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We enjoyed everything in the Plaza except for the music group playing in your lobby Saturday evening, May 21. After having attended a superb jazz trio at Jardines the night before, your group was a hugh letdown. They were simply awful and very amateurish. Even our waitress agreed totally.
Otherwise, the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay. We are happy to learn you enjoyed your stay, but were disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the jazz band in the Oak Bar on Saturday evening. This particular band has been playing here for months and we consistently receive great comments about them. I am sorry you did not like their music. I have shared your feedback with our Director of Outlets.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City.

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We stayed three nights, while attending a wedding in nearby Country Club Plaza, and spending some time sightseeing in KC. We had a great time, loved the location, appreciated the large, well-lit, comfortable room, the professional staff. We loved being able to walk around Country Club Plaza, as well as being able to catch buses or taxis to visit KC attractions.

Room Tip: Ask to face Country Club Plaza.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and for posting a review of your experience on Trip Advisor.

Our goal is to exceed the expectation of every guest we are fortunate enough to serve, Obviously, we are pleased to learn you were so happy about your stay with us and enjoyed our location, our large rooms and the professionalism of our staff.

We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the Kansas City area!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Even though this had previously been my favorite hotel, back in December 2010 we did not receive the room we had reserved due to overbooking - this ended up being a huge issue for us due to the fact that our assigned room was small, had no view, and was right above the doorman - no sleep that night! And they had no other available rooms....I was just about done with this hotel at that point

Decided to give them one last try in March, and thanks to Angela (thank you so much!) - who completely took care of us, it is once again our FAVORITE KC hotel!! We had a fabulous room, wonderful service, and a good nights sleep! I just have to add that the club level concierge on the weekends is AMAZING! He took care of our every need and helped us in every way. INCREDIBLE SERVICE! LOVE THIS HOTEL! Thanks for making our stay so wonderful!

Room Tip: View of the Plaza rules
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Dear Guest,

We love being your favorite KC Hotel! It was a pleasure to read your review and learn you were so pleased with your stay with us in March. I'm happy Angela took great care of ensuring your needs were exceeded. Please know your comments will be shared with Angela and our weekend Concierges.

You are in great hands with Angela, but if I may ever be of assistance in planning any of your future stays, please feel comfortable in contacting me directly at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Thanks for choosing the Kansas City InterContinental and for taking the time to post your comments! We all look forward to serving you during your next visit to our great city.

NY
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We stayed for two nights in early May. We were in town as tourists, primarily to catch two Royals games. Best thing about the hotel: location. The location was in walking distance to many great restaurants and shops, to a lovely walking path along the river, and even to the art museums. It was also relatively easy (~20 min) to drive to the baseball park.

The room perfectly nice: nothing exceptional, but a very comfortable bed and a clean, handsome bathroom. I had probably the lowest rate possible, so I wasn't expecting much, and the room exceeded my expectations. For some lucky reason, we were placed on one of the Concierge floors. This gave us access to the Concierge Lounge, which provided breakfast, snacks, cocktail hour, etc. That was a real surprise and left me with a very positive impression of the hotel.

Two other brief comments: we were told on-site parking was $15 per day but were never charged anything (yay!). And when we first checked into our room, the bed wasn't made. I think there was some confusion between the front desk and housekeeping, and the problem was corrected quickly.

Overall, if I go back to Kansas City for any reason, I will stay at the Intercontinental again. It is a lovely hotel in the perfect location.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovewave
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your 5-star review of our hotel! We're happy to learn you loved our location, the cleanliness of your guestroom and the comfort and offerings of the 11th floor Concierge Lounge.

We will look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Go Royals!

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 8 May 2011

It's a shame. The hotel is nice enough... the location is great.

We checked in, parked, got to the room, the key didn't work. Had to go down to front desk. Came back to room and there's a dirty glass and towel on the bathroom sink and trash in the wastecan. The people we were travelling with had a bottle of cleaner left on the desk in their room. The second day we got no housekeeping service until we called down close to 4PM and asked for someone to clean the room. At checkout we were charged an extra $30/night per room. Thankfully I had the confirmation email with me and got the rate adusted... but not before spending 45 minutes on the phone with the front desk and searching for the email. Finally, they charge per DEVICE using the internet... not per ROOM. I have NEVER stayed anywhere that charged in that manner.

I had reservations to stay there again in June -- as did quite a few family members. We'll be staying elsewhere. It just seemed like everything was such a struggle.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear Guest,

It was very disappointing to learn of the troubles you experienced while you were a guest in our hotel. Please accept my apologies. Obviously, we did not live up to our high standards. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers so that additional training may be provided to our team.

Again, my apologies. I really do regret that we failed to exceed your expectations. If you would like to contact me personally so that I may make amends, please feel comfortable in doing so by calling 816.303.2901 or by e-mail at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Stayed at the InterContinental as a get a way and celebrate my daughters 16th birthday. We arrived a little later than expected and had no problem checking in. The front desk was friendly and we were able to check in very quickly. Once in the room, we noticed the remote for the TV didn't work and called the front desk for a replacement. The remote showed up within minutes, so kudo's to the maintenance staff for their quick response. The room was pretty spacious but lacked a 'deep cleanliness'. It was pretty evident that the details were not of high quality - especially in the bathroom where the caulking wasn't especially great around the sink, etc.

Room service came very quickly in the morning when we ordered breakfast, though the order was not exactly correct. They gave us (and charged us) for an additional poached egg selection. This was mainly my fault as I was distracted when the waiter came and read out the selections he was dropping off. I should have caught the extra order. Overall it was expensive though, which one can expect of room service.

We spent 2 days shopping in the plaza - the location of the hotel is great, just a quick walk across the street. After two long days of shopping, decided to rent a movie on the in-room movie system. After we bought our movie, we spent the next 2 hours watching it pixilate and stop mid frame. It was extremely annoying and made the movie unwatchable.

Overall, not a bad place to stay due to location, though I won't be staying there again. It was a little pricier than I'd like for the condition of the room, and did not have free internet (seriously, who in this day and age can't provide free internet?!) - generally we stay at a Hilton but due to the proximity to the Plaza opted for this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the InterContinental Kansas City and for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your positive comments about the friendliness of our staff and our great location in the heart of the Country Club Plaza.

Our goal is obviously for our guests to have a problem free stay. Please accept my apologies for the problems you did encounter. It is reassuring to learn our engineering team responded quickly to rectify the situation.

Again, thank you for choosing our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.