“So so, won't stay again”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“So so, won't stay again”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The only positive thing about my stay was the very nice lady who checked me in. She graciously gave me a nicer room because a problem guest rudely interrupted during my check in.

1. The front door is not one of those automatic sliding doors. When I arrived, despite two employees standing out front chatting, no one helped open the door while I lugged my heavy bag in.
2. I ordered room service at 4:00 am (I was up early for a road race). The server stated there were no other orders at that time, yet forgot one of two breakfast items. And charged me for it. When you're running a 31 mile race you kind of need your morning fuel. No answer when I called back. Super nice guy tho.
3. When I arrived there was half a roll of TP. I assumed there was backup somewhere. Nope.
4. I returned from running 31 miles up and down hills in the hot sun just before 4:00. My room was not made up. The front desk said they had until 5:00 pm. I really really wanted to shower and change and use the bathroom. I asked him to just send toilet paper and towels asap and we could skip the cleaning. He said he would send them right away to quickly clean. Fine. I sat on the balcony waiting for this quick clean to occur. The housekeeper didn't speak English, was saying something I didn't understand, then got angry and walked off. Next a supervisor-type shows up, very nice, and asked if I wanted my room cleaned. It was well after 5:00 and I told her that all I wanted was toilet paper and towels. Both were thrown on the sink counter and finally left.

The location is convenient to shopping and dining at the plaza. If you're running a race at Theis Park, it's an easy 10-15 minute walk. I probably won't stay again since the staff caused anxiety before and after an important race.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 3 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the series of issues you experienced while a guest with us. Obviously, we didn't live up to our standards, which I regret. Please know your feedback will be shared with the appropriate managers so that the needed follow-up will occur.

Again, my apologies.

Don Breckenridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Beautiful public areas. Registration a very pleasant experience. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. Room was spacious, some have nice views, mine was of the parking garage, but not a big deal at all. Nicely appointed rooms. Like so many other hotel chains, this hotel has done away with blankets on the bed in favor of heavy and hot down comforters. Yes, blankets are available in the closet, but it surely would be nice to have the blanket on the bed and the comforter in the closet for those who wanted it. It's a trend I do not like. But that's not a knock on this hotel, just the industry as a whole.

We paid a corporate rate of about $150 per night, king bed room, a very good price for the quality of the hotel. Bathroom was small but ok. The entire room was spotlessly clean.

We did not spend any time at theCountry Club Plaza, but this is right there for those who do. I had not seen this area for at least 15 years, and it appears to have stayed new and updated.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

When your travels bring you back to Kansas City, we would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again.

Plantation, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Intercontinental Kansas City in order to attend one of my best friends weddings. I was in the wedding party, and since the wedding was happening at the hotel, we stayed at the hotel since it was a matter of convenience. My friend Ken (the groom) touted the Intercontinental as "The best hotel in Kansas City" so we were excited to spend a couple of days there. Unfortunately, upon arrival we realized that there were a things that were lacking with the stay... mostly all related to service. The rooms were nicely appropriated, and the bellhops were attentive, but the front desk check in girl had no idea what was going on. Upon check-in, I explained we were part of the wedding party, and she said "That's nice, we have lots of weddings this weekend". I asked her if I was supposed to receive anything, since I imagined that the front desk would give me some sort of schedule or wedding bag, which is customary to give the wedding party when checking into a hotel. She said no. We also asked for directions to a lunch location and she said she was horrible at directions and suggested I use a GPS. This was very off-putting. After we checked into the room, we met up with the groom to have lunch and I asked him what the schedule would be for the weekend. He said "Didn't the front desk girl give you the wedding bag we made for you?" I said I asked for it and she said no and told us to use a GPS to get to lunch or ask the cab driver. The groom was less than enthusiastic about this event, especially since he had already learned that other people in his wedding party also did not receive the wedding bags.

After returning from lunch, he spoke to the front desk and they went right behind the wall and pulled out the aforementioned wedding bags since they were right there the entire time. We felt ourselves lucky we went to lunch with the groom, otherwise we would have been completely unaware of the events of the weekend. Does the staff keep any additional wedding goodie bags if they don't give them all out?

Service continued to be less than on-par with "the best in Kansas City" when we went to brunch on the hotel's upper floor the next morning and could not flag down a waiter to give us coffee for our table. We spent about 10-15 mins attempting to catch the waiters attentions, including resorting to arm waiving (similar to directing an airplane into a hangar) only for our motions to go unnoticed. Afterwards, I attempted to go claim an urn of coffee off of the coffee table stand, to which the oblivious waiter came right up to me and told me in a very stern voice that he MUST serve the coffee and we cannot do it ourselves. I explained to him that we had an entire table of 10 attempting to call him to the table and he did not respond so I took matters into my own hands. I told him to please bring the coffee to us. He then went in the back kitchen for an additional 5 minutes and had a different waiter bring us coffee. After bringing us the coffee the head waiter with the stern voice came through and attempted to clear out our dishes only to spill some of the contents of the dishes on 2 of my friends.

During the cocktail hour, one of the main drinks was an appletini named after the bride and groom. My wife ordered one and upon giving it to her, she realized there was a long black hair in her drink attached to the cherry. She refused to drink it and it was pretty off-putting to say the least. We resorted to drinking things with caps after that time.

Finally, after the actual ceremony and cocktail hour, we reentered the main ballroom for dinner and dancing. After we entered, we were told by the bartender that we were not allowed to have any drinks for 45 minutes. The servers then came through the entire ballroom and took all the champagne flutes away. This seemed spurious since the champagne toast occurred and no one in the entire ballroom had any champagne to toast with. Afterward, my wife asked for champagne and they brought it to her in a wine glass. Furthermore, during the dinner, as soon as dinner was brought out, the servers asked if we wanted tea or coffee - which is usually only asked when the dessert is brought out. I can say as a positive, that the food was very good, however the service again made us feel incredibly rushed and not wanted. The servers were rude and it felt awkward to be there on an occasion which is supposed to be a joyous one. All in all, the hotel was nicely appropriated but the staff and service are severely under par.

Room Tip: Be a celebrity - since the red sox and lil wayne stayed there - I'm sure their rooms were superb
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Learning of your experience was a complete surprise. Please accept my sincerest apologies. We've looked through our guest service logs and reviewed all shift reports, and there were not any negative guest comments.

Our Director of Sales is in the process of contacting the Bride and Groom to obtain their feedback. Should you wish to speak further about this, I would welcome the opportunity to do so. My e-mail address is -----------------------------.

Our guest service scores are in the top tier of all the InterContinental Hotels in the Americas. Two months ago we received the AAA four-diamond award for the 20th consecutive year. With-in the last two weeks, we were selected as the "2011 Best Hotel" by the readers of both KC Magazine and Ingram's business magazine. Again, please accept my sincerest apologies for our failure to allow you to enjoy the quality experience that over 100,000 guests have come to expect when visiting us each year.

Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Great customer service. Older style decor, lots of areas showing wear. Hallways had musty smell. Many hairs in bathroom. On our last night, a Sunday, there was loud music from floor above that went until midnight. We had early wakeup, but could not go to bed early. Inquiry found that there was wedding dance above in ballroom that night. No one really seemed to care, guess we were less important than that event. This was surprising as it was great service other wise during our 4 day stay.Concierge lounge was nice touch, had great views overlooking city.

• Stayed August 2011
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

First off, we're glad you felt our guest service was great! Our team is very focused on the guest and guest comments consistently reflect this commitment. Secondly, we are pleased to let you know that over the course of the next six months, several million dollars is being spent on various renovation projects, including new carpet and wall covering in all guestroom corridors. The look of these areas will support the extensive renovations done in all guestrooms three years ago. Please accept my apolgies for the loud music in the ballroom above you and for the hairs in your bathroom, which is unacceptable. The band hired by a wedding party extended their playing time. Based on your comments and one other recent Trip Advisor posting, we are re-training on housekeeping and inspectors, and implementing several new processes to ensure our high standards are experienced by every guest.

Again, thanks for your feedback and thanks for staying with us. We'll look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Reliable, traditional hotel. Clean and comfortable. Elevators a bit slow. Room overlooked the interesting plaza area of the City, and there was an appealing pool area that seemed well used, especially by families.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and for posting your review.

We're pleased you enjoyed your stay and will look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I neer witre reviews online for hotels. I needed to this time.
I checked in and raced to my room to use the restroom. I lifted the toilet seat and a nasty suprise was there. someone forgot to flush their chunky #2.
We were beyond grossed out. what if the person was sick!!
At the same time my wife turned on the tv and it was so fuzzy you couldnt see the picture.
stay away if you like clean rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the cleanliness issue with your bathroom. We go to great lengths to train our staff and have an inspection process in place to ensure all rooms meet InterContinental's high standards before they are occupied by our guests. Obviously, there was a break down in the process and again, please accept my sincerest apologies.

It would be most helpful and greatly appreciated if you would contact me to provide additional details. This information would allow us to conduct an investigation and take appropriate steps with our team to ensure this does not happen again.

dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com
Lincoln
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My sister and I stayed here the end of July. The weather was super hot but the pool was super cool. Very relaxing. Initially had a room that was not facing the plaza but the staff moved us for the 2nd night, as rooms freed up. Our second room was great, very roomy and a balcony looking out onto the plaza.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks for choosing the InterContinental and for posting your comments on Trip Advisor.

There is no better place to spend a July day than in our pool, so we're happy you were able to relax and enjoy. The room you were moved to on the second day of your stay was a "deluxe" room. Personally, these are my favorite rooms as the additional square footage inside the room along with the over-sized balcony are very welcoming....plus you can't beat the view of the Plaza.

Again, thanks for staying with us and we hope you return soon!