“Another great trip!”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The level of service and professionalism at the front door, the front desk, and concierge services once again were outstanding!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Your positive comments about the professional service provided by our team will be shared with them.

We will look forward to serving you again on your next trip to our great city.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I drove around the Plaza, in Kansas City, trying to book a room for Saturday, November 12. The 1st 2 hotels I stopped into told me I had to go online to check availablity, and rates. That didn't make any sense to me. I went to the InterContinental, and everyone I encountered was exceptionally friendly, and helpful. The lady at the reservations desk not only could tell me what rooms were available, and the price, she had a young man take me to view the room to be sure I would be satisfied with it. The rate was very reasonable, considering we had a balcony, with table & chairs, overlooking the Plaza. We were celebrating our 26th anniversary. We were 100% satisfied with everything, and will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the Plaza
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-Star review!

It's always great to learn we exceeded a guest's expectation and they left 100% satisified. Your comment about the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff will be shared with everyone.

Please know how much we appreciate your choice to spend your 26th anniversary with us. Congratulations!

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip to the Kansas City area.

Don Brecekenridge

Reviewed 10 November 2011

It was an ok hotel but this hotel was not Intercontinental standards. It was not modern and the hints of classic nice hotel (heard it used to be a Ritz) are now lackluster/ deteriorating. Bed was ok not comfy enough. Spiderwebs in corners, paint streaks on wallpaper, pitiful shower, no HD TV and ancient blowdryer. Convenient and good room service.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Dear Guest,

We're disappointed to learn we did not live up to your expectations.

It is never acceptable to have spider webs anywhere in a hotel. Along with the safety our guests and staff, the cleanliness of our hotel is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing guests wih a great experience. Our rooms are cleaned and inspected daily by a trained staff and your comments will be shared with them.

We did indeed have a manufacturers defect with the wall coverings in some of our guestroom restrooms. The result is what appears to be paint streaks, but they are not. We are in the process of replacing this vinyl in the affected rooms and the project will be completed by the end of December,

We will also share your positive comments about your room service experience with our room service team.

Again, we regret your stay did not exceed your expectations and would appreciate a second opportunity to better serve you.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Old building that once was an icon now not up to snuff. Worn carpets, second rate shower, dark dirty elevators, and just generally not a first class hotel. One set of doors to the outside were deteriortaing as were the sidewalks. Plus $11.95 daily for internet on top of $199 room rate.
On a positive note breakfast quality and service were very good.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor. We do want to let you know that beginning in January, all guestroom corridors will receive new carpet and wall coverings. These areas were not renovated when we re-modeled all guestrooms in 2009. The new look will be beautiful.

We're happy to learn you enjoyed the quality of food and service at breakfast.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

My wife & I spent 3 nights at this hotel for a wedding the 1st wk of Nov. When we opened the door to room 655, we were greeted by a 10 foot long yellow CAUTION banner taped across the sliding glass door. We would later realize this was an omen for the duration of our visit. I called the front desk & they assured me the room was safe. They were doing construction on the patio and they forgot to remove the banner.
We left the room for a 3 hour walk around the Plaza only to come back and find the carpet soaked with water. I realized this when I took my shoes off and walked in the room and my heavy wool socks were soaked!
I called the front desk and they gave me 2 options: 1) Move to a different room (We had just unpacked and hung all our clothes for the wedding) or 2) $40 off room rate & they would send someone to dry the carpet. We chose the latter and went to dinner.
The following morning, the carpet was SOAKED more than the previous day &we asked to be moved to a different room. Each time we called the front desk, we were transferred to a minimum of 3-4 people having to explain our situation each time! We figure we spent ove r2 hours of our time talking to the Hotel staff.
We asked to speak to the General Manager, Don Breckenridge, but were continually told it was not possible because he was not there and would not be in till Monday. (On Monday we were told he would not be in that day either!)
Kim was the mgr on call. She offered to move us to another room within the hour. Two hours and 4 more phone calls later and no move. Finally after 2 and a half hours we were handed a room key by Larry, and he begrudingly helped us move our luggage, and clothes. I had tried to soak my wet socks in the sink to clean but the drain would not work, and had to use the bathtub. I asked Larry if he would have the hotel clean them. Later that day they were delivered with a $2.80 charge. It only took 2 phone calls and 6 people to get it off my bill!
On the second day we were gone from 11-3. When we got back to the room our keys would not work. We had to go back to the front desk. Kim accused me of putting it near a magnet. She would not take any responsibllity for keying it incorrectly. She obviously keyed it for 24 hours rather than 72.
Returning to our room at 3 pm, the room was still not made up! Housekeeping said they thought we had checked out, even though there ws a sign on our door to make up the room. Oh, by the way the refrigerator did not work, and my wife's insulin had to be chilled with ice. We called Mgr. Kim again and left her a message to call back asap. We NEVER heard back from her. Finally a supervisor from housekeeping showed up to clean the room. We had to get ready for the wedding so declined.
The 3rd day @ 5:45 am we heard a loud knock on our door, and then someone opened it, but the chain prevented them from entering. I got up, and a bellman named Robert said he was suppose to deliver someone elses luggage to our room. He never apologized!
Also, a $50 charge was left under the door for our room which we had ALREADY Paid for with points!
Only took 2 more phone calls and 6 people to get it off!
i called Angela Snyder-Director of guest services and explained our whole weekend fiasco. I asked her to comp our entire stay and redeposit our points. She comped the first night, and reluctantly comped the second and redeposited the points.
When we went to retreive our jewelry from the safe, it did not work, we were told because the hotel had erased our password, thinkling we had already checked out. So, you guessed it , 3 phone calls and 8 people later an engineer came to the room to open the safe.
In the meantime another employee "mistakingly' opened our door again at 11.am.
The General Manager, Don Breckenridge's response to criticism in this forum is that "the staff has earned their way into the top 10 of all InterContinentals in the Americas for guest service."
What that tells me is they have very LOW standards and InterContinental is the last hotel anyone would want to stay at.

Room Tip: Look down the street for a diferent Hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank imssc1

Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the series of issues you experienced. We obviously regret that your stay was an unpleasant one. As you know, we did refund your Priority Club points and did not charge you for the other two nights.

Please know your review has been reviewed with the appropriate managers and staff to provide additional training and prevent future occurrences.

I also apologize for not being able to meet with you to discuss your concerns, I was out of town over the weekend and then away from the hotel unexpectedly on Monday.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Every time I travel to Kansas City, I find myself staying at the InterContinental. The hotel has gone through several renovations over the years and is much more updated than my recollection when I originally stayed here some 10+ years ago. The best part of the hotel is its location: an easy walk over the bridge to the Country Club Plaza district; a great outdoor pedestrian shopping and restaurant area. The rooms themselves are spacious, comfortable and contain all the amenities a business traveller could desire.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thanks for returning to the hotel after 10 years and we're very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and the hotel's location. The Country Club Plaza is Kansas City's crown jewel and the fact that we are just foot steps away is one of the hotel's many charms.

We're also pleased that you noticed the extensive renovations since you were last here. These renovations continue as we just completed a $200,000 renovation of our Presidential Suite and are putting the finishing touches on the restoration of all guestroom balconies (spectacular view of the Plaza) and a total makeover of our rooftop function space, Kansas City's most popular spot for Weddings and Events. In January, all guestroom corridors will receive new carpet and wall coverings. All these investments are designed to enhance even further every guest's experience.

Please know we appreciate your loyalty and we all look forward to serving you again on your next trip here.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed here overnight as a surprise for my husband's birthday. As soon as the front desk associate heard this, he upgraded us to a Plaza view room on the 9th floor at no additional charge. The room was very clean and the decor was aesthetically pleasing. And this may seem like a small detail, but it made us smile: a couple of our hand towels were folded into the shape of a little elephant and left on a chair. The king-sized bed was very comfortable and the sheets and pillows were higher quality. The location was great...within walking distance to most Plaza attractions and restaurants. Hotel parking was not an issue. Overall this was a very good experience, the only reason we did not rate it as "excellent" is because it is starting to show a little wear and could use some TLC. It looked like they had repainted the trim in the bathroom, but some paint had gotten on the walls and it looked a little sloppy for a 4 star hotel. The carpet in the hallways was starting to look a little worn and in need of cleaning. We would stay here again; the staff was very friendly and accommodating and that DEFINITELY goes a long way with us.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DarkKnight0412
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Happy to read your stay was comfortable and we can look forward to serving you again on your next trip to our great city!

So you know, our guestroom corridors will undergo a complete renovation beginning in January 2012. When finished, they will look spectacular and be consistent with the updated look of the other areas in the hotel.

Thanks for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City!