“Some weekends are just better than others”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #7 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Arlington, Virginia
“Some weekends are just better than others”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This elegent hotel is situated on a hill overlooking the Plaza. The Plaza is a vast area of fine stores and restaurants, separated from the hotel by Brushy Creek. Ask for a room that overlooks the Plaza and you get Brushy Creek as a bonus. The downtown area of Kansas City, MO is not a walkable distance; but if you don't need to be downtown, this is the place to stay.
We drove into the hotel entrance and were greeted by Dave - Lucky for us because he knows the city and gave us directions to return our car. Next we met Navada and her able partner Larry at the front desk. Navada is a person we will never forget - always cheerful and extremely helpful in making our stay memorable. Our next new friend was Trenton, a concerage who can help you find anything you want or need, be it in Kansas City, MO or Nice, France. Do not miss the InterContinental brunch on Sunday. This grand presentation was presided over by Cheryl, and is indeed grand. My only wish is that hotel guests realized that Sunday Brunch at the InterContinental is special and would refrain from wearing shorts and/or T shirts.
The three folks I have mentioned made this weekend better than others, and are the kind of people we have met at InterContinental Hotels. Our first stay at one was in Hamburg, Germany; and I remember thinking at the time that most hotels do a good job but something makes this place special. Of course it had to be the people who worked so hard to make our visit so very enjoyable. Now we have another to add to our list, and one we will never forget.

Room Tip: Why do people always want to be in the "tower"? We stayed in a room on the 6th floor at t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review! We will share your feedback with Dave, Nevada, Larry, Trenton and Cheryl. I'm happy they made your stay a very pleasant one.

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and we'll look forward to serving you again.

Don Breckenridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Troy, New York
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The intercontinental was nice but a bit pricey. We did get an upgrade when our room wasnt ready upon arrival but the price was elevated for the obviously worn room. The location is great near a large plaza with some wonderful restaurants but the Marriott is close by for a lot less.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

When your reserved room wasn't ready when you arrived, I'm pleased you were satisfied with the upgraded room provided to you at no additional cost. We're also happy you enjoyed the hotel's superior location in the heart of the Country Club Plaza.

We hope you will choose the InterContinental Kansas City again on your next trip to Kansas City.

Shawnee, KS
Reviewed 16 April 2012

$300 for a King bed and nothing memorable.
My fiancee booked this hotel because he thought it would be romantic and amazing for our anniversary.
The lounge area and check in are beautiful...the rest of the hotel is blah and old. And not old in a whimsical wow look at this architecture way. Old as in smelly, falling apart, and in need of a paint job and window washing.
My fiancee called the day before and asked if we could get a room on a higher floor so we could have a view, they promptly added him to some rewards program and said they took care of it. We were on the 2nd floor.
We got to the room around 330pm and it was warm, turned the ac all the way to 62. Watched the ridiculously small tv. Checked the mini bar which was empty. Got ready in the hot room and went to dinner around 645pm thinking it would be cool when we returned.
It was 75 when we returned at 10pm. The phones didn't work so my fiancee went down to the front desk to let them know. Sent a man into our room at 1005pm who clunked around w the ac and said it was fixed. At 1045pm my fiancee used his cell to call the main office because it was the only phone number he could find. Finally at a 11pm the maintenance guy came back to our room and gave us new keys for a room on the 3rd floor and 2 breakfast vouchers. We waited for almost 10 minutes for an elevator, they were all full of people and we couldn't fit. We finally gave up and took the stairs.
Went to our new room where kids were running and screaming down the halls.
Had a good nights sleep, woke up to our complimentary breakfast which we had to pay a $3 fee and tip.
Check out was at noon, but at 1045am we had a maid walk into our room. And again at 1115am a maid just walked right into our room. One of them probably saw my fiancees manhood. We couldn't get out of their fast enough!
Definitely would not recommend this place to anyone. Ever. The Holiday Inn or Comfort Suites would have been alot better for half the price and none of the hassle.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LiLaShawnee_KS
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize for your unsatisfactory stay. Your experience is certainly not what we expect of ourselves.

If you would like to contact me so I can obtain more information and make amends, please do not hesitate to do so at dbreckenridge@kansascityic,com.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This hotel is relying on past glories as the Alameda Plaza then the Ritz Carlton and for some years now, the Intercontinental. First the positives. As every reviewer mentions, the hotel is beautifully located at one of the truly unique developments in the USA: Country Club Plaza, a Spanish style shopping and entertainment area replete with sculptures, fountains, Mediterranean-style buildings, and horse-drawn carriages that is a year-round major draw in the area. The hotel overlooks the Plaza and the setting is really picturesque. The Oak Room, a bar and restaurant overlooking the Plaza is olde worlde comfortable, with nightly jazz performers on weekends and average food, but again with the Plaza view. Although there are a lot of hotels in the Plaza area, the Intercontinental is unarguably the grande dame. Location, location, location. That's where it ends, though.

I have stayed at this property repeatedly for 30 years in all its iterations. This last time was enough, however. The franchisees are really risking losing the Intercontinental brand! The interiors have deteriorated to the point that some electrical outlets are downright dangerous. When I requested repair of one broken outlet in a desk, the response was to bring a power strip to plug into another outlet and the advice to avoid contact with the broken one. The bathrooms are tiny and very, very dated. Adjusting the shower temperature is difficult because of the old control units. Lights don't work. The carpet is old and dirty. Etcetera, etcetera. The maintenance staff does its best but often, all they can do is apologize and remark "well, this is more than 20 years old, you know." Yes, I know. The sliding glass doors to the balconies have small sign warning that they don't lock automatically. The problem is, because of their age, they don't lock manually either!

The two-room suites do have 2 bathrooms but both suffer from the age-related deterioration of the fittings. The only answer here is to refurbish the bathroom fittings. The baths themselves are old, small and scummy. The valiant housekeeping staff does its best to maintain the property but it's a losing battle. Bathroom amenities are up-to-date and bathroom linens have not deteriorated. Robes are provided.

Some rooms have had the minibar refrigerator removed. Whether those rooms are specific ones used only for sketchy guests or whether the fridge just broke and was not replaced, I do not know. Management will provide a portable dormitory fridge upon request but it is not stocked like the minibar.

Now for the staff. The bell staff is welcoming and friendly. They give one a good impression of the property. They front-desk staff is extremely variable, however. Courtesy and helpfulness of all front-desk personnel certainly improve when a manager is staffing the desk! Previous tripadvisor reviewers have commented on the blank stares and monosyllabic interactions with front-desk staff, all too true on occasion. I have encountered superb front-desk personnel and others who are completely uninterested. The guest services operators are friendly, helpful and unflappable. Truly an asset to the hotel. Responsiveness of maintenance, housekeeping and minibar staff is superb. The counterintuitive part of this is that most guests rarely encounter these staff members but every guest interacts with the front-desk staff. Where should the customer-service focus be?

In a nutshell, the staff can do only so much to maintain a property with deteriorated infrastructure. The superb location of this hotel will continue to attract guests but repeat business will progressively diminish. Money, and a lot of it, will need to be spent on refurbishment is the hotel is to live up to its reputation and retain the Intercontinental brand.

Room Tip: Request a Plaza view. Suites are large with 2 small bathrooms. Superior rooms are large.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments. I'm glad there were some things you enjoyed about the hotel.

It is very disappointing, and surprising, to read your comment that an interior demolition is needed. Since 2009, every guestroom has been renovated as has the Oak Room Restaurant, the Oak Bar, the Concierge Lounge, all rooftop meeting space, the fitness center and the lobby. The one area where renovation is needed is in our guestroom corridors, This renovation is in process with a completion date of August 18.

Fortunately, a large majority of our guests feel differently about the hotel. Our overall satisfaction score is in the top 10 of all InterContinental Hotels in the Americas. Additionally, we have received the AAA four-diamond award, a distinction held by less than 5% of all hotels, for the last 21 years. We have been selected as Kansas City's Best Hotel for the last three years. I regret that you left the hotel with a different perception.

Bryce, Utah
Reviewed 13 April 2012

enjoyable and well appointed for a smaller convention. good staff and friendly atmosphere. clean rooms and comfortable beds.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

It is rewarding to learn you enjoyed our staff and found the atmosphere to be very friendly. I'm glad the cleanliness of your guestroom met your expectations.

Please know we appreciate your business.

familytravels012
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I was in town for the first time this week at a Best Western Conference! This hotel was magical! I couldn't believe it. From the gentlemen at the door to the lady that checked me out it was nice! The room was so clean and inviting that I didn't want to leave. I wished it could pack in my bag and bring it home with me. I recommend this place to everyone. The only down side was the ladies at the front desk were a little stand offish. They really didn't smile much. i come from a hotel that is full of smiles. But they were very nice and helpful! Wonderful place!

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback. We are very pleased you found the hotel to be magical with the rooms very clean and inviting!

We'll look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Kansas City.

Alaska
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I really wanted to love everything about this hotel, but I came away wishing for more.
Upside: Plaza location cannot be beat, room itself very nice and comfortable.
Downside: The desk staff when I arrived did not great me, just looked blankly at me in a most unwelcoming way. Restaurant extremely poorly staffed for Saturday breakfast (cheerful hostess was having to clear tables herself), everything about the service was slow, my food was cold and my medium-poached eggs were practically hard boiled. Young waitstaff so timid as to make me afraid for them.
I'd say skip the restaurant, ignore the desk staff and enjoy the room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 10 April 2012

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor,

We're glad you enjoyed your room and our location. Please accept my apologies for our failure to greet you with a warm smile at the front desk, and for the less than perfect experience in the Oak Room for breakfast. I met with both the front desk staff and restaurant team this morning and shared your feedback.

We hope to have a second opportunity to serve you better in the near future.