“A good "Stay-Cation" for us”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Kansas City is a close location for us and the Intercontinental came to the top of search for a fun long weekend. Outdoor pool with resort features was the clencher. We enjoyed the stay, close walking distance to the services provided by the Plaza. Hotel has been remodeled and was clean, but it is showing it age in a few ways.

Rooms were remodeled, staff was courteous and helpful. Pool staff was very attentive overall it met our expectations.. but did not exceed them. Have rated this stay as very good, because average is fair and was the next step.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us!

We're pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. Please stay with us again the next time you are ready for another Stay-Cation!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

The InterContinental has changed hands/names many times since I have lived in Kansas City but it remains a classy, well-run hotel that is pricey but a special occasion treat. We stayed here with giggling girls for the One Direction concert. The hotel staff was gracious and always on hand to help. The bell hops were efficient and helpful. The concierge group of rooms hosted lovely snacks and a delightful breakfast which was excellent with breathtaking views of the plaza. (this is a group of rooms you pay extra to be a part of and it allows you private access to these rooms and the snack/breakfast area). Well worth it. The parking is easy (15.00 for self-park $25 for valet per day). They do accept AAA discounts so that was helpful since one double room is around 189.00 with the discount. The pool was fabulous. There was a steel drum being played poolside and it reminded me of a beach retreat with hula hoop and other games. Our view was over the pool looking onto the plaza and it was was amazing. The room was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was the the check in staff. They were not friendly and when I needed a little help they were equally unhelpful. The person in front of me was treated like royalty so I know they are not generally grumpy. I probably did not look rich enough for them. Otherwise, outstanding place if you want a staycation or if you are from out of town this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the 11th floor-it is a bit more but well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank stepford wife
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the 5-star review! We're glad you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and the concert!

We'll look forward to serving you the next time you are in town!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here last week when I was in town for the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City's Agricultural Symposium. This is a very nice hotel in a very nice part of town! Short walk to the nightlife and shopping experiences at the Country Club Plaza. The Oak Room Restaurant is an added feature . . . great breakfast at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Country Club Plaza and the sunrise . . spectacular!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us!

We appreciate your kind comments and the 5-star review. We're certainly very happy you enjoyed the hotel's amenities, and those of the Country Club Plaza!

We would love to serve you again in the future, so please stay with us next time you are in town.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Have stayed here on business several times. Check in staff very nice and good room in good condition. Agree with prior review that AC does not get very cool which is unfortunate as it was warm when I was there on the 17th. But otherwise very comfortable. My only issue was that we were meeting some business associates at the hotel for breakfast and were not only told there was no room but the woman who greeted us was borderline unprofessional and looked completely overwhelmed. Seems like a hotel should be able to handle overnight guests for breakfast (8 am) but we were sent away and walked across the street to the Raphael.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we're glad you enjoyed your time here. However, it was a surprise and a disappointment to learn of your experience trying to be seated in the Oak Room. What you described is not acceptable.

If you would be willing to share any details with me that would allow us to follow up with the Oak Room Greeter to provide additional training, please contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Recently stayed at this location in Kansas City for work and really liked this property.

The Good: It's a VERY nice place - well appointed, great staff, and it's in a very nice part of town. The Plaza area should have about everything that you'd ever need in the way of restaurants, stores, etc. The staff was great and very pleasant. The room was comfortable and in good overall condition.

The Bad: There were some condition issues in my room: some paint flaking off the ceiling in the bathroom and a couple of corners in the room needed attention. Neither of these were enough to disgust me, but worth making a note of. Also, the A/C in my room was one of those "green" systems that wouldn't allow you to reduce the temperature too much....in fact, I couldn't get it below 70F for the whole stay. Not a tragedy, but not that comfortable, either.

All in all, I'd stay there again given the chance.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your experience and we're pleased to learn you will return to the hotel the next time you are in town.

Please accept my apologies for the issues with the paint in your restroom. If you would like to let me know your room number, we will address it if this has not already been resolved. You may contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com

So you know, we do not restrict how low a thermostat can be set. Perhaps there was a malfunction with your thermostat, but they definitely are not restricted. We will also look at this if you let us know your room number.

Thanks!

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

First class accomadtions on The Plaza. Great rooms and 50% with a Plaza view. Lobby bar has great tinis. Live music in eves Thur-Sat.

If you can snag a consierge level room (upgrade) you will be treated to complimentary finger food & drinks. Kent and Craig will keep you happy. All you have to do is ask.

Pool is nice perk in summer months.

• Stayed: July 2013
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the 5-star review and the kind comments about Craig and Kent! We will be sure to share your feedback with them.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My cab driver told me this was the ``best hotel in Kansas City,'' and while that is up for debate, it was certainly a decent choice. I usually stay downtown, but ended up at the Intercontinental because everything downtown was booked. This is a bit of a hike, but the plus is you are in the middle of a big shopping/entertainment district. I walked over to it, ate at the Seasons 52 restaurant, and had a great view of the city, a manmade waterway, and yes a status of Winston and Lady Churchill. The rooms are spacious and get HBO on cable. The price seemed pretty affordable for an upscale hotel. The gym was OK but seemed on the smallish side (I like bigger gyms) and in any event I got to town too late to use. The pool seemed quite nice. When I checked out, I was told they couldn't email me a copy of the bill -- that was a bit of a surprise I haven't encountered elsewhere. Otherwise, seemed like a very good experience.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We're glad you had the opportunity to stay with us and enjoyed your first experience!

We absolutely are able to e-mail a copy of any guest's folio to them. I can't imagine why we would have told you "no". My apologies.

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in town.