“Good Older Hotel Close to the Plaza”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Overall this is a nice hotel, but is starting to show its age. I have stayed here a number of times for the location and service. The staff is very nice, but understand that if you want an upgraded room you will probably have to be an Ambassador member. This is fair but not standard for other Intercontinental properties.

There are two sections to the hotel - the tower, which has nice but very small rooms, and the west wing, with much larger "deluxe" rooms. In general I prefer the wing to the tower as the rooms are much larger and all have a good view of the Plaza. The concierge lounge is on the 11th floor in the tower, so if you use this it is a little bit of a walk from the wing, but not too big of a deal. Parking is very convenient with the garage on site. You can self park easily and so far I have not been charged for self parking, even though the state that there is a $15.00 charge per night. Valet is $18.00 per night.

The room descriptions on the website are generally accurate - just keep in mind that the tower rooms are small, and there is a poor view out of the back side. All of the deluxe rooms will have a good view of the plaza.

One minor issue - the HVAC was not working well in my room. Likely due to the recent change of weather (warm to very cold) but had I been there more than one night I would have requested maintenance.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are much larger and highly recommended. Rooms in the tower are much smaller; also if y...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 43,220
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Please know we do make every effort to provide upgrades when possible, but the very high levels of business we experience does limit our ability to do so as often as we would like. We do give priority to our IHG Rewards Club guests for obvious reasons.

Again, thanks for the feedback and we will look forwward to serving you again!

Don Breckenridge

Write a ReviewReviews (1,616)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I spent our 1 year anniversary here on November 30th. Very nice hotel and perfect location. We did confirm a week in advance for a plaza view. I would suggest this if you want one. When we arrived every staff member greeted us with smiles. Nevada is the wonderful lady that checked us in. When we told her it was our anniversary, she upgraded us to an oversized king room with full balcony and view of plaza. Then went one step further and comped us to the VIP lounge. She is awesome! We went to the lounge for happy hour and sat at a table overlooking the plaza, and it also had a private balcony. Very romantic. Craig was the host for the evening and when we told him we were celebrating, he had a bottle of champagne sent to our room! I have not one complaint. The bed was very comfortable, nice size bathroom. Even a plate of fresh fruit was delivered to the room. Service here is just wonderful! There was a minibar in our room. We will be returning soon.

2  Thank Traci C
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for spending your special night at the hotel!

Please know we appreciate the 5-star review and that we will be sure to share your feedback with Nevada and Craig.

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked here over Thanksgiving to see the Country Club Plaza Lights festival.
We checked in on Thanksgiving day and stayed until Sunday morning. Three nights of hell.
The room they gave us was old, tired, and filthy.
We had no hot water for the first two nights, and finally it ran LUKEWARM on the third night.
We had to bathe at a friends room in the Raphael Hotel next door.
We were asked to sign a 'honor bar' agreement to pay for anything used. Funny thing, there was NO honor bar or a FRIDGE in the room as we found out the first night when we returned after dinner with dessert leftovers from dinner at Plaza III restaurant. Only an empty cabinet.
My wife ruined her white hose after walking on the carpet shoeless for 10 minutes.( No wonder they provide cheap slippers)
Chipping paint, peeling wallpaper and dirty tubs must be the rule of the day here.
We tried to post a review on THEIR website and it was refused. Thet have a 4 + star rating on THEIR website, HMMMMMM???

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. This was a nice hotel when Jimmy Carter was president. Not Now!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DanTexas1

Dear Guest,

Please know reviews posted on our website are not edited in any way other than to remove any profanities, The only requirement to post a review on our website is for the person to be able to verify they were a guest at the hotel. These are standards at most hotel chains.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your review with you, learn more details and take the appropriate next step. If you would like to do so, please contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at the IC over the Thanksgiving weekend, and while we enjoyed the bar (and band) and the proximity to The Plaza, our room was average. Description said a minibar was included, so upon returning to the room late in the evening, I realized this was not the case. We called room service to have some bottled water brought up and it never arrived.
The next morning, our shower was lukewarm at best and I heard a customer voice the same complaint to the front desk. That is unacceptable for a "five star" hotel.
I have to compliment the valet- we got our car as fast as we ever from a valet and they were friendly.
The hotel itself needs updating and, for the price, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

1  Thank LindsayR571

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you experienced. We did have a problem with hot water in certain guest rooms over the course of the weekend as the water pressure supplied to the hotel by the city dropped to a low level. The city has corrected the problem.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We live just blocks from the Plaza and I hate to slam this hotel as it is an icon (I spent my honeymoon there years ago)...but, it is no longer a 5 star hotel as they promote it. I was told we would have a Plaza view after I made reservations well in advance...that didn't happen but I just blew it off. We wanted to dine there but they were way overpriced (Ended up at Fogo de Chao for more than we could eat at half the price). The room was fine but smaller than I'd get at a Holiday Inn Express...with no fridge. The TV had the worst picture I've seen in years and seemed to be geared to "adult" entertainment. The elevator noise kept me up all night (And we were way far away from them...also very slow). Of course the ambience is superb (Plaza) and the bars very nice...but waking up today to NO hot water in the shower is inexcusable. The staff is super...no problems there. But you can't do New York pricing in KC for very long and survive. Room was clean but time is taking it's toll. I would no longer recommend it to a friend...too many alternatives close by. I realize it is old and requires a lot of maintenance now, but it is obviously not happening. I expect it to be blown up and rebuilt within 5 years.

2  Thank wunderwood

Dear Guest,

We're glad you found the Thanksgiving buffet food to be delicious, but certainly apologize for the poor service. Please know corrective steps have been taken to ensure this does not occur again in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We went to the Intercontinental for their Thanksgiving buffet. Food was delicious with traditional Thanksgiving food,even green bean casserole! HOWEVER, service was terrible. We were only a party of 3, but the waitress continued to ignore us! How difficult is it to make sure your guests have drinks and dirty plates removed promptly? To add insult to injury, there was a 23% service charge! An Intercontinental Hotel should do better than this.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia E

Dear Guest,

We're glad you found the Thanksgiving buffet food to be delicious, but regret that the service you received wasn't up to our four-diamond standards. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took a get away weekend in Kansas City. We enjoy the Intercontinental in Chicago so tried the KC location. The service was excellent. We really enjoyed the views from the eleventh floor lounge. The service in that lounge was very attentive.

Overall, a good time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We're pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you especially enjoyed your experience in our 11th floor Concierge's Lounge! Given the complimentary food and beverages served in the Lounge, there is great value in upgrading to one of our Concierge floors. To top it all off, the Concierge team is extremely attentive and the view of the Country Club Plaza is incredible!

Please know we appreciate your business and your 5-star rating!

It would be our honor to have the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in the area.