“A Great Getaway”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have stayed at the Intercontinental many times and have not once had a complaint. The employees are always so nice and the rooms are always very clean. The hotel is a perfect location on the plaza, you can walk anywhere on The Plaza from the hotel within 10 minutes. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking to stay in a nice hotel with a great location and good service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your latest experience at the InterContinental Kansas City on Trip Advisor!

We're very happy to learn you enjoyed the service provided by our team, the cleanliness of your room and the hotel's premier location overlooking the Country Club Plaza!

Please know we appreciate your loyalty to the hotel. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are our guest!

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We visit Kansas City on a regular basis and the Intercontinental has been our "go to" hotel for the last 3 years. The location is ideal for us and the rooms are always comfortable, well appointed and relaxing. The staff has always gone above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable as possible and Kent in the hospitality suite on the Concierge floor is one of the hotel's secret weapons. He is great. The entire experience is what staying in a hotel should be like and no other hotel in KC does it as well as the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

It is an honor to be your "go to" hotel in Kansas City! We are very proud of the service levels provided by our associates, and we're glad you've always felt their desire to go above and beyond to serve you. Kent plays a very important role in delivering the hotel's concierge experience and we will be sure to share your comments with him.

Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty. Whenever I may be of service during any of your stays, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and there is not a more friendly group of competant, classy, efficient employees the world over nor a more beautiful setting than the Intercontinental on the Country Club Plaza. The hotel is a beautiful, older, classic type hotel and the pool area is the best in Kansas City, with live band in the summer, children's pool and bar service.

My favorite part is staying in a Concierge level room where you have access to the VIP lounge on the 11th floor, with complimentary light snacks and drinks. The concierge staff on weekend mornings are Kent and Reuben. They are always are friendly, full of advice and attentiveness. However, Craig in the evenings keeps everyone happy, dinner reservations made, and seems to know all of his guests. Melanie the day time concierge and supervisor from South Africa is soooo efficient and all I need to do is give her a call and she handles anything I need when I decide to come down, book a party, etc. She gets the right person in touch with me, makes sure I have my rooms and then follows up to make sure it is all going smoothly. They all are super and the view over the Plaza is the best.!

However, the entire hotel is like a model hotel with each department operating like it is the example used for training excellent associates in the hospitality industry. From housekeeping, to the front desk, to John, Joe, & Phil my fav bellmen. They each are doing their job and welcome you usually by name when you return.

Two weeks ago, I held a small birthday dinner party for my sister with 80 pp and 11 rooms. Denise, the Catering Director, orchestrated it flawlessly but what impressed me was how perfect her plan was implemented by the entire staff from each department. Whether it was the cleanliness of the room, the friendlessly and efficency of the serving staff , the bartender to the front desk and valet, I know not which person was best but the entire team made my event perfect. I did not hear a complaint from anyone in our group...It made my job as planner so easy and I was able truly enjoy my stay here.

I would be remiss to not mention the door & valet staff as they are the front line in greeting everyone and making me feel like an old timer and member of the family every time I visit. My husband and I used to come down from Topeka at least once a month and even though he passed away last summer, the door man, Brandon, Ed, Dave and others are super. It was sad to drive up the first few times without my husband but they have welcomed and helped me in,, with such kindness and concern that I felt like I was their Aunt.

I know this sounds like I was paid to do a review but trust me it is real and I am a regular guest of this hotel. (Please read my numerous other reviews from around the world and you wll see they are not always like this.)

All of this at the KC Intercont'l is a sign of a splendidly operated organization and a credit to the IC name.

Lou

Room Tip: Concierge level and I won't tell you my favorite room as then it won't be available, but an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DorothyOz
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful remarks regarding your many stays at the InterContinental Kansas City! It is very kind of you to mention by name the members of our team who have positively impacted your experiences.

We all love having you here and consider you part of the InterContinental family! It is always a pleasure to see you and catch up. I know you have many contacts at the hotel, but whenever I may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me directly!

Once again, thank you for you kind comments and for your loyalty to the hotel!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel this time of year for an annual conference. Each time, Kent in the Concierge Suite has been very accommodating and helpful and provides excellent service. He makes sure your coffee is warm and full and you have everything you need to make your time in the suite enjoyable and comfortable. This is a beautiful hotel with very nice accommodations and views of the Country Club Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us for the 3rd time and for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor!

Kent does do an amazing job, and we're very happy you were able to see firsthand how accommodating and helpful he his. We'll be sure to share your comments with him.

We all look forward your 4th stay!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The service at this hotel is AMAZING. Special shout out to Ben P the bartender. Thank you for going above and beyond to make otherwise bland work travel really fun! Everyone I came across was genuinely kind. Such a nice visit and the balcony rooms are superb.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

We're glad you found our staff to be genuinely kind and their service amazing! We'll be sure to share your comments with Ben and extend our thanks to him for going above and beyond the call of duty to serve you.

We're also happy you enjoyed your private balcony. So you know, about 95% of our guestrooms have balconies, and they are a great place to watch the activities on the Plaza from a bird's eye view. Our "deluxe" rooms have an over-sized balcony with a small table and two chairs. They are very popular in the spring!

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We all look forward to the next opportunity to serve you!.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Great service, very helpful staff, friendly people. The view of the Plaza was ideal, every room has a great view, regardless of location. The manager of the hotel was so helpful, kind, and accommodating. Nice to have a place with such great hospitality and prime location next to lots of restaurants and shopping. It was my first ever visit and I am sure it won't be my last!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julea P
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest,

We're so happy to learn your expectations were exceeded during your first stay at the InterContinental Kansas City, and we're equally as happy to learn you plan on returning. It will be our pleasure to serve you again at the time!

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

While on a business trip to Kansas City I had the pleasure of staying at this fine hotel, the house keeping crew did a great job, and unlike most hotels they greet you with a hello and a smile. One of the staff members was extremely nice and helpful during my visit ( Gurdalupe Munoz ) is a delightful person and an asset to the hotel. God Bless you in all you do.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience on Trip Advisor!

It's wonderful to learn you found our staff to be so friendly and warm. When it comes to hospitality, nothing defines it better than a genuine smile and a sincere hello. Please know we will share your comments with Guadalupe. It will make her day!

We know you were here for business. When your schedule allows it, please stay with us for a time of leisure. The city has so much to offer, and it doesn't get any better than on the Country Club Plaza, Kansas City's crown jewel for the last 90 years!