“Gorgeous and comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Boston, MA
“Gorgeous and comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Pros--

Hotel is very gracious, comfortable, and beautiful. Ritz-Carlton level in look, feel, comfort in the common areas and rooms. Marble bathrooms were nice.

Lounge and Oak Room had great service.

Location by the Plaza shops was good.

Front desk- Michael was very friendly and helpful. A different front desk person pointed me to Loose Park, nearby, a nice historic and large park where I took a great run/walk.

Food was very very good. Loved the crabcake in the lounge.

Lobby offers a nice table of citrus water or lemonade during the day and good coffee in the morning.

Cons-

Service was a little off-- does not live up to the "Ritz-Carlton" type promise of the hotel's look, feel and general demeanor. In terms of bell staff, I arrived late (around 10:30) and no one was there to assist, open door, etc. Another time on my way back, a woman bell person with red hair was very unfriendly. Most of the other times I left or entered there were no bell staff present at all.

I was there 2 nights. On the last day, I ordered room service for 5:30 am (using the card you put on your door the night before) as a car was picking me up at 6 for the airport. My timing was really tight. By 5:32 it still wasn't there. Called room service, no answer. Called the front desk. Thankfully, it was Michael again (who had handled my check in previously.) He called room service and said they would be right up. Eventually they showed up 10-12 minutes late and I had to waste time on the phone trying to find out their whereabouts. Normally 10 minutes or so isn't a big deal but I was really on a schedule and have never had a problem at any other hotel with timely room service.

Heard some sirens and the sound of a truck backing up at 5 am the first morning from my room on 7th floor. Not the hotel's fault but just a heads up. I did have a nice view of a river or creek.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extensive feedback on your recent stay with us.

It's rewarding to know you feel the hotel is beautiful and comfortable, and that you enjoyed your experiences in our food and beverage outlets. We will be sure to share your comments with Mikel along with our appreciation for making such a positive impression on you.

Please accept my apologies for being a few minutes late with your In-Room Dining order. We understand the need to be very punctual and your experience will be reviewed with our staff in this area. I also regret that you weren't greeted by our front door staff every time you passed through that area. The hotel has a bell person on duty at all times, and a door person is on duty 18 hours each day.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We all look forward to serving you again the next time you are in the area.

Don Breckenridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here last week for 10 DAYS! I had two classes I had to take and a conference in the middle. The hotel was quit nice especially if you get a view of the plaza and river. Hotel room was spacious and clean. The only thing missing was a more comfortable chair to read in. Nice desk area to work at and I certainly used that. Restaurant had good food but very slow service so it is better to go on the plaza area where there are some nice restaurants unless the weather is bad or you are NOT in a hurry. Nelson Art Museum was OUTSTANDING! Rated one of the top 10 in the country. The banquet lunch we had and cocktail hours at the hotel were nice and food was good. I would NOT them give you one of those miniature rooms on the Pavillion level for a class my two day class was claustrophobic in fact it was the first thing the instructor said. New outdoor pool was not open yet but looks nice. Room service was fast and good. I would stay there again. Lots to do in Kansas City and the Plaza area of town is very picturesque with the surprising Spanish Style architecture.

Room Tip: Plaza View/River View
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest,

First off, your heading made me start my day with a laugh and smile! People visiting the area for the first time are usually very surprised with all Kansas City has to offer. I'm glad your perception was changed!

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We're very happy that after a 10 day stay, you felt your experience was to the level that it warranted a 5-star rating.

We hope your schedule allows time to return and do more exploring. There really is a lot to see and do!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had a very attentive server in the hotel's dining room; his name is Jason. He was very polite and helpful, and the food was good. We had breakfast several mornings, and lunch one day. The breakfast was especially good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for letting us know you enjoyed your experiences in the Oak Room during your recent stay. We're glad you liked all the meals and the service provided by Jason. We'll be share your comments with him.

We all look forward to serving you again during your next stay with us!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I flew in from Atlanta last week and spent 3 nights at the InterContinental. It was our first stay at the InterContinental in KC and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Great location by the Plaza and excellent nearby restaurants. Everyone on the staff was helpful and friendly, from the manager, Don Breckinridge, to front desk and reservations. The service on the Concierge Level from Craig Walter and Melanie Riley was A+. Am looking forward to staying there again on our next visit to KC.

Ken R.
Atlanta, GA

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was my pleasure to meet you and your wife, and to be able to visit! It's always nice to share stories with someone who grew up in the area.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We're glad you found all our staff to be helpful and friendly. We'll be sure to share your comments with Melanie and Craig from our Concierge team.

I know you get back to the area during the course of each year so your wife may connect with friends and family and we are happy to learn you will be staying with us again. Please do not hesitate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com whenever I may be of service during any of your stays.

Once again, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife!

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Participated in a Conference at this hotel. The room was large, quiet and relatively clean. It was located in the annex area, not the main building. For some reason the closet was so musty smelling I was not able to hang clothes inside. I also found the "public bathroom" type toilet with exposed plumbing odd for a luxury hotel. All of the Conference amenities were just fine, the break out food and drink was nicely presented, the staff was professional and helpful. The only exception would be check-in where I was not given any information about how to find my way to the room and felt the young woman curt in her demeanor instead of welcoming. In addition the lack of wifi in the basement meeting rooms was very strange. The location adjacent to Country Club Plaza was perfect. Overall a comfortable stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful remarks on Trip Advisor.

We're glad you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your large and clean guestroom. It was also nice to see you appreciated the presentation of the food and beverage items served during your conference. Our team strives to make the presentations memorable.

Please know we do have internet access in all areas of the hotel, including meeting rooms. I'm not sure what issue you had, but it would be helpful to learn specifics so we may address it. Please feel comfortable in contacting me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com. This would also allow me the opportunity to find out your room number so we may look into the musty closet smell, and to learn more details about your interaction with our front desk associate so we may provide her with additional training.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have stayed at quite a few hotels in the past several years and this was one of the best as far as service, cleanliness and courtesy. I was there for a conference and did not really leave the hotel but when I did anything I needed was nearby in walking distance. The bar by the lobby was very nice with good live music and the Bartender, Ben Parks was very professional courteous and helpful. All around this was a great place to stay with a great staff catering to all of your needs.
August Monteleone

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

For you to say the hotel's service and cleanliness levels, along with the courtesy of our staff, is amongst the best you've seen is truly an honor! Please know we will share your comments with Ben and our entire team.

Please stay with us the next time you are in Kansas City. We will all look forward to the opportunity to serve you again!

Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

if you are in the kansas city area and want a fabulous hotel with impeccable service, then this hotel is for you. the service here is by far amongst the BEST that I have experienced. kudos to mirella welsh and jon at the concierge desk for their stellar service and care. i look forward to my next business trip here. thanks for making my stay very enjoyable and for treating me like ROYALTY

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

It sounds like this might have been your first stay with us and it makes us very happy to know you plan on returning. We're glad you found the service to be impeccable to the point you felt like Royalty. This is always our goal!

We'll be sure to share your feedback with Mirella and Jon. I know they will appreciate learning how much you enjoyed their service.

Whenever I may be of service during any of your stays, please do not hesitate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.