“A shining star”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #7 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
“A shining star”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Our expectations were exceeded with service, amenities, comfort and location. The staff was terrific. The on-site breakfast buffet ($$) was a culinary value. Live music in the lobby, along with gathering areas, dancing and a full bar. We did not care for the mattress plastic liner nor the humidity in the room; however, the mattress and pillows worked their magic. A coffee maker and safe in our room, but no fridge, minibar or microwave. We enjoyed a balcony room overlooking the pool and the shopping district. The elevator next to our room was noisy. Clean and updated venue. On site covered parking with valet.

Stayed June 2014
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We're very pleased to learn your expectations were exceeded due to the service you received and the hotel's amenities and superior location!

We'll look forward to serving you again during your next visit to our great city!

Don Breckenridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Wallpaper in bathroom peeling, rusting plumbing access panel behind the toilet, commercial toilet in our bathroom (on the concierge floor! ).
Nice hotel and good service but some of the details are slipping.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mybroker1
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for some of the details we missed. We realize the importance of details and regret you found a couple before we corrected them.

To ensure we have corrected them since you were our guest, it would be helpful to learn the number of your guestroom. If you would like to share this information, please contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

We are glad you felt the hotel was nice and enjoyed the service provided by our team.

NYC
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Intercontinental is beautifully located next to the historic Plaza, it is well appointed, and the staff has that wonderful Midwestern friendliness. But strangely enough, we found it disappointing. The breakfast served was below Denny's level in quality, but priced for the Intercontinental. The bed was below fancy-hotel standard. The TV was awkwardly placed. The concierge was not reliably available, and seemingly simple service requests were met with blank incomprehension.

Room Tip: North side has best view and less afternoon sun
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank keithofrpi
Dear Guest,

Unexceptional is unacceptable. Please accept my apologies.

I would like to learn specifics about your experience so we may learn from it and improve. If you would like to share details, please feel comfortable in contacting me directly at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was meeting a friend for drinks who was in town for business. I've lived in Kansas for over 20 years and never stepped foot into this hotel. Seen it hundreds of times from the outside, but never needed to go in. The only reason I'm writing this is to share the wonderful time we had, most in part because of the service from the bar manager. Gaspere Dirosa took care of us and was a delight to chat with. He was helpful with drinks, and asked about us, and truly made us enjoy our time even more. It's always great to see a friend, but when you experience excellent service like we did, it makes our visit that more memorable. Lots of laughs that night. So I just wanted to say thank you and now I have a reason to go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gretchen F
Dear Guest,

We're thrilled to learn that after being a resident for 20 years, you finally found a reason to come inside the hotel. We're equally as pleased to know you enjoyed your experience so much! Being a hotel, the primary reason guests visit us is for the sleeping accommodations. However, with the Oak Room restaurant, Oak Bar lounge and the live entertainment offered four nights a week, and 30,000 square feet of event space, we are well known by many locals.

We'll look forward to serving you again....soon!

Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at the InterContental Hotel for a conference. I found the hotel to be comfortable and pleasant, but the most outstanding feature was the professionalism and courtesy of the staff. One simple example: I was sitting in the lobby listening to some very pleasant jazz, when a server offered me a drink. I declined, and she smiled, thanked me and wished me a pleasant stay. The next night I was again in the lobby listening to music, when the same server asked me if I wanted a drink. This time I asked for Tanqueray and Tonic. "No, I said, just make it with your well gin." "We use Beefeater," she replied.

Well, if Beefeater is the well gin, I'm thinking it's a pretty classy place.

Shortly after this exchange Gaspare DiRosa, stopped by to ask me if I was satisfied with the service. We chatted for a few minutes, and I found him to be genuinely interested in me and my comfort in the hotel.

One other nice feature of this hotel is it's location right across the street from Kansas City's Country Club Plaza, which provides numerous options to the hotel's fine fare.

Other features of this hotel not often found in big city hotels is convenient and plentiful covered parking.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, and provide the usual amenities including a robe and a safe in the room.

I will stay there again when I visit Kansas City.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marvin S
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! We appreciate the 5-star review!

We're obviously very pleased to learn how pleased you were with all aspects of the hotel, including the cleanliness of your room, the convenient and covered parking garage, the location to the Plaza and the service levels provided by our team! We'll be sure to share your feedback with everyone, including Gaspare.

We all look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Last weekend we had the pleasure of celebrating Fathers Day at the Intercontinental Hotel -- Kansas City on the Plaza... Someone you would enjoy meeting is Kent --- the host on the consierge floor... Kent welcomes you in the morning for breakfast and lunch.. He has a way of making everyone feel important and special -- while providing the very best service to everyone in the room no matter what age..!

Room Tip: Wonderful shopping on the Plaza which is a short block away!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for celebrating Father's Day with us!

We appreciate your feedback about Kent. He really does provide an amazing level of service to our guests and thoroughly enjoys doing so. We will be sure to share your comments with him.

We will look forward to serving you again the next time you are in town!

Lake Forest Park, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for our anniversary. It was nice place. Room was a good size, the balcony was a nice touch. We did not have any washcloths in our bathroom upon arrival, but the next day after having the room serviced we had two. Not sure why we had none the first night, but no biggie. Overall a decent hotel, nice lobby, parking was simple and close, and friendly staff.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for staying with us on your special day!

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be friendly! Please do accept my apology for the lack of wash cloths when you arrived.

Whenever I may be of service during any of your future stays, please do not hesitate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Once again, Happy Anniversary!