“Best place to stay on the Plaza”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #6 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Leawood, Kansas
“Best place to stay on the Plaza”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We live in KC. My husband surprised me one weekend with a stay here, beautiful room overlooking the Plaza. Wonderful dinner. Service amazing. From the time you arrive at this hotel service is 1st class. Always a great place to stay in K.C. Highly recommend.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

How nice of your husband to surprise you with a get-away! Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your stay and your dinner in the Oak Room!

Please stay with us when you decide to surprise your husband with a get-away!

Don Breckenridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We Stay at the Intercontinental several times a year and always have a wonderful experience. As soon as you pull up to the hotel you are welcomed with very friendly and familiar faces. The Valet staff is amazing. Craig Walter the concierge is excellent, always very friendly and very informative of things to do and places to eat. If you ever need anything he can get it done for you. I can't say more good things about the IC other than they make you feel at home:) J.Gibbs

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for making the InterContinental Kansas City your favorite place to stay on the Plaza! We appreciate your loyalty!

From a hospitality standpoint, our goal is always to make our guests feel at home. We're very pleased to know our valet staff and Craig made you feel this way!

Whenever I may be of service during any of your stays, please do not hesitate to contact me.

General Managee
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

When I arrived at the front desk of the Intercontental and began the check in process, my Front Desk person informed me that I was a day early. I had mis-entered my check in dates. Mirella Welsh, my new Hero, began her search for availability. She informed me that there was something available and then told me that there were also some upgrades also available. A room facing the Plaza for an extra $10. I agreed. Mirella then explained that for another $20 I could have a larger room. I agreed. During this time Mirella was trying to figure out how cancel my previous booking and move my deposit over to the new dates. She got it all corrected and credited. Mirella then looks up at me and says "I'm just going to Comp these extras". The Hotel lost $30 that day but gained a customer for life. Mirella Welsh knows Customer Service and she should be acknowledged by her boss. She is a true Professional. The Hotel is fantastic also!

Room Tip: The Hotel is right on the edge of Country Club Plaza. Very simple walk across a bridge. Nice little...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. I just met with Mirella and shared your comments. It brought a huge smile to her face.

We all look forward to serving you again during your next visit to Kansas City!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We returned to KC for "girl's weekend" and there was no doubt we would stay at the IC based on our previous experience three years ago. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel, we were greeted by the valets who were so welcoming and informative. My sister got a little lost and was guided by the best valet ever to the hotel! We loved the complimentary water we received when we returned from our morning walk. The lobby, check-in, etc., went well. Once we entered our suite, however, I must say the room was not as nice as before. We had one of the two bed/two bathroom suites. Our first impression was the room was not as clean as it could have been....streaks on the windows and mirrors were noticeable. We did not have enough "supplies" for a room this size. There was no replacement tp and we had to call for more! There were only two coffee cups and the coffee pot was one of those with pods.....the beds were double and there was plenty of room to have two queen beds. The linens were nice but I think the comforter was one you would use in the winter and too heavy for this time of year. This could all be easily changed...I agree with the other reviewers that this hotel could use some updating. The plaza is a wonderful area and our rate was what you would expect for a high-end hotel. We did enjoy and have great service at the concierge level from both Craig & Kent. They are just fantastic and would be the reason we would return but I have to tell you....I would check the Raphael as well as others to see if they have something that would work. The pool area was nice but I agree that the furniture needs to be replaced with higher quality chairs and tables you would expect from a hotel in this area. Hopefully there are plans to update and step it up a bit?!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VacationBound089
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all your positive comments, and value your suggestions. We certainly regret that some of the details in your suite were missed when compared to your prior stay. Please accept my apologies.

When stocking supplies in a room or suite, we do so based on the number of guests shown on the reservation. If you would like to let me know your name, I will check our system to see how this occurred. I may be reached at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Please know your comments and suggestions will be shared with our housekeeping staff, and taken into consideration while planning our next room renovation.

Please contact me directly the next time you would like to stay with us and we will take steps to ensure your room or suite fully meets your needs.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 July 2014

First class service from check-in to check out. Wonderful Beds quite rooms and Craig Walter's the concierge on the Club Level should be commended for his excellent service, really made us feel at home. B.Clark

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We're very glad to learn you found your bed to be comfortable and your room quiet! Thank you for letting us know that Craig made you feel at home. We'll be sure to share your feedback with him.

It will be our pleasure to serve you again the next time you are in our great city!

Blair, Nebraska
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a great weekend get away. The service at this hotel is #1 they really seem to care that you are happy and if it isn't they will make it right.We stayed on the Concierge Club level floor 11 in room #1131, The balcony overlooking the pool and Country Club Plaza which is 2 blocks away was very nice except for a little elevator noise behind the headboard of the bed.(pick any other room on this floor due to the noise of the elevator and you will love this Hotel)The Club level is well worth the extra money and the service they give you is second to none. A special thanks to Craig and Kent for a great experience..Breakfast spread of food with coffee and cappachino machine and fresh fruit. Then High tea with soup and sandwiches.then Happy hour with free cocktails, beer and wine with munchies and appetizers and you can go in the club level bar anytime of day and get free milk,,juice,pop,bottled water,yogurt,cookies and fruit.Then late at night they do deserts and liquors.We loved the pool area with live music on Saturday afternoon. They could use some pool side waitress service on Saturdays as the bar tender is not able to come out from behind the bar because he's to busy bar tending.They provide a plenty full amount of white towels at the pool and the lounge chairs are padded and very nice.They have a live band in the oaks bar on Saturday night that was excellent and a lot of fun. Overall a really nice hotel in a great location with great service.We will be going back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the club level overlooking the plaza and the pool.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments!

We're glad you enjoyed the service provided by our team. It sounds like you were able to experience many of our offerings. We'll be sure to thank Craig and Kent for taking such good care of you!

We do have cocktail servers at the pool, so please accept my apologies for the fact you did not receive service from them on Saturday.

We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in the area!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I enjoy staying at this hotel. The ability to walk to the Plaza is a huge plus. They were having some A/C issues during my stay, but I'll chalk that up to the first truly hot weather of the Summer.

The pool is awesome and there is a nice little bar in the lobby. The food is good, but there's no real reason to eat there with so many great restaurants across the street.

Bang for the buck (considering the location), I don't think it can be beat.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor!

We're glad you enjoyed the service provided by our team, your experiences at the pool and in the Oak Bar, and the hotel's incredible location!

We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Kansas City!