The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Very Good 4/5
All reviewschaz restaurantcountry club plazapresidential suitefree valet parkingplaza view suitebrush creeklive jazzboutique hotelbeautiful hotelromantic weekendapartment buildingroom servicemini barsitting roomfavorite hotelplaza lightschristmas lights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My wife and her sisters decided upon this hotel as a result of some good recommendations and it's location. The propertywas very well located for our purposes. The rooms were nice and well maintained. The service though busy was both prompt and curteous.
We also ate in the restaurant at the hotel for dinner one evening. The food for the most part was pretty good. Nothing outstanding but Ok. A bit pricey but it's in a hotel.
I would stay at the hotel again but would pass on the food.
The one negative aspect of this trip was that one of our cars was damaged while parked. The valet said that the garage door came down on the car. Whatever. All I know is that the matter was handled without any difficulties.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RichAChapman
Steve560, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return. Chef Charles d'Ablaing has put together an outstanding menu with many locally sourced foods that you should come back and try. I am sure you will not be dissappointed.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from the Raphael Hotel in KC after a great anniversary get away that really exceeded my expectations for several reasons which I will explain. To book our room I went through their hotel website which I would encourage travellers to do since they post all their package deals there. There are several key points to our visit that you would be interested in so I will stick to those.

First of all if you are looking for a property that puts you right into the Plaza shopping area this would be it. Out the door and across the bridge and you are there. This saves the stress of trying to find parking at this popular Kansas City shopping area. Plus it allows you to go back to your room if you need to rest or just get tired of spending money!

Secondly, this property has been renovated and the furnishings, beddings, beds, amenities are all wonderful. We stayed in a corner suite facing the Plaza and it was just fantastic. Very clean and very comfortable. The service staff was impeccable from the doormen to the front desk associates, all incredibly nice, welcoming, friendly. If I owned this property I would be extremely proud of my staff at the Raphael. They sent to our room a complimentary bottle of wine after we arrived in honor of our anniversary! What a great touch!

The food at The Chaz, the hotel restaurant was very good. We ate dinner there Sunday night and brunch on Sunday and both meals were fabulous. We enjoyed live music while there as well. Very low key jazz that was very enjoyable. Unlike a lot of over priced hotel food The Chaz offered a great variety of fresh entrees, salads, desserts, and a great selection of wines at a price that I considered a very good value.

How do I sum this up? If you are looking for that special weekend in Kansas City I have found my spot and would highly recommend this wonderful boutique hotel to you for a great experience that I am confident you will enjoy.

Room Tip: Get a Plaza facing room if available.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hogfanz

Thank you for selecting The Raphael for your special anniversary get away. As you noted we are steps away from the famed Country Club Plaza. Thank you for great comments about the accommodations and the staff. We are very proud of the staff and the hotel. Please do not wait until your next anniversary to enjoy the Plaza and The Raphael again.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife is from KC and when visit family this is where we stay. One the great little things is the free coffee in the morning in the lobby. Such a small and inexpensive customer service. This a hotel that I will always stay when we are in KC. I know that it has recently been sold, I truely hope it stays the same.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick C
Steve560, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for staying with us. You are correct the complimentary coffee in the lobby is great. Chef Charles d'Ablaing created his own unique blend with a local coffee company Paris. To answer your question about the hotel being sold. The Raphael was purchased from it's original hotel owner about 6 years ago. The company that owns and manages The Raphael is Lighthouse Properties. The ownership has ties to Kansas City and the company is based out of Salina, Kansas about 3 hours west. of Kansas City. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

A recently renovated, charming Hotel that, I believe, was an apartment building at one time. I was traveling on business with an employee. The parking was convenient, as you could enter from the back and have complete privacy on route to your room. The Suite we had was spacious including a sitting area with a couch, desk and flat screen TV. There was another flat screen TV that could be viewed from bed. The bathroom was very spacious. The beds were comfortable with an assortment of pillows.

The workout room was small but had nice views outside. Earpieces for listening to TV were provided, which was another convenience.There was tea/coffee available in the morning and punch with cookies, hot off the cookie tray,in the afternoon near the reception desk. The lobby was small but uniquely decorated.The staff was very helpful in recommending restaurants. I cannot recall the name of the restaurants, but one was on the food channel and served outstanding fried chicken and the other was in a "converted" gas station and served the best Barbeque I have ever had. You need a car to get to both. In the upscale shopping area across the street from the hotel, there is a good breakfast/lunch restaurant recommended as well called the Classic Cup. I chose to avoid this touristy area, otherwise.

I would highly recommend a visit to the Art museum, which was free. A very knowledgable docent gave a tour of, as AAA described, an "encyclopedic collection." We also drove to President Truman's very modest home (since he married) 45 minutes away in Independence. The weather was outstanding in April, but residents said it can be unbearably hot in summer and too cold in winter.

My only criticism was the price of the breakfast, which was @ $20 a person. The food was good, but we decided to get breakfast elsewhere after the first day. I think the hotel can offer a better breakfast deal than this.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank KathleenMFl
Steve560, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Thank you for staying with us on your recent business trip. I was very glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and stay. The staff does an excellent job of recommending those hidden treasures in KC. Very happy you had time to visit and taste some of the great treats in KC. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

This hotel is a real gem!
Our first visit to Kansas City was an overnight stop but we left feeling saddened & disappointed that our travel timetable wasn't flexible enough to allow us an extra night here!
I guess that being a Marriott rewards card holder has it's benefits - one of which presumably got us an upgraded room without even having to ask.
We were in fact given a suite which was magnificent. Two bathrooms (1 with a jacuzzi & the other with shower / bathtub) and one of the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in.
The staff - from valet parking to bell hop, to front desk / reception to management and the staff at the breakfast room were all polite, accommodating and genuinely friendly (one experiences so much disingenuous politeness in the USA that the real thing shines through at the Raphael).
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to any discerning traveller.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank EstorilEckers
Steve560, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for staying with us and being a Marriott Reward member. Not many people know that we are part of the Autograph Collection which is part of Marriott. Autograph hotels are a special collection of unique and memorable hotels. The great part is you are able to earn points and redeem stays at The Raphael. Thank you so much for staying with us.