“Excellent wedding night choice!”

The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Columbia
“Excellent wedding night choice!”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I wanted to stay in somewhere special on our wedding night and since we were flying out of Kansas City we sought a hotel in KC. He found The Raphael Hotel on-line and liked what they offered. We were not disappointed! The wait staff were very friendly and our room was perfect. We bought the romance package for something a little special. This was one of the best hotel experiences I have had! We will definitely be back to celebrate an anniversary in the future!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KristiS627
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Wedding Night Guests,

Congratulations, and thank you for choosing the Raphael for your wedding day! We certainly appreciate your kind words, and sharing your very special day with us. We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stay here one week every other month and have for a few years now. The doormen have been the same and recognize me and make an effort to say good morning and welcome back. I saw where someone mentioned that the always get the door for you and that is the least of the little touches that makes this place wonderful.

The recent remodel makes this a unique stay that is welcome versus all of the cookie cutter places I stay everywhere else.

You can walk to many great places for dinner but come back for a drink and live jazz at the hotel.

Room Tip: I have platinum status with Marriot and out of about 20 visits have only once received a non suite.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Erick C
Dear Regular Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your regular stays with us. We feel we do have the very best bellmen/valets in the business, thank you for recognizing them! Thank you for your continued loyal patronage!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We really loved this hotel. First, the location is fantastic.....walking distance to all the local shops and restaurants. The service from check in to check out was great. Everyone was very friendly. David, the valet, was warm and welcoming. We had two rooms. One was a standard room with a king sized bed. It was slightly larger than a normal hotel room with a sofa, chairs and a work desk. The bathroom was small but the shower/toilet area was separate from the sink area so it was fine. Our second room was much larger and had two queen sized beds with a great view of the river and the Plaza. The bathroom in this room was quiet large. This room had two tv's and a sitting area. Our kids were thrilled that they got the "good" room!
The gym is small but very well equipped and clean. Free parking and internet is such a nice feature. We ate breakfast each morning in the hotel's restaurant. The food was fantastic and our service was great. The second morning our waiter remembered our coffee orders and asked if we wanted the same....a really nice touch. We are loyal Marriott customers and are so excited that the Autograph Collection is now affiliated with Marriott. We hope to stay here again soon!!!

Room Tip: It is nice to have a view of the river!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Angeline13
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Fantastic Hotel Guests,

What more can we ask for? Thank you so much for sharing your experience while a guest at the Raphael KC. We truly appreciate your comments and your patronage. We will look forward to your return!

Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Raphael for four nights on a mini-vacation to Kansas City. This was by far the best experience I've ever had in a Marriott brand hotel. We arrived around 3:30 and the room was ready and we were checked in within a few minutes. Overall, we had a great time while staying at this nice hotel.

Pros:

-Great customer service. Valet drivers were friendly and prompt. Everyone who worked in the hotel was nice and always greeted us. Housekeepers did a great job keeping our room clean. We came home to a clean room every night with no issues.

-Nice gym. The gym had six cardio machines to help guests continue working out. There was also a set of free weight dumb bells up to 50 pounds. Just enough to help you sustain while on vacation.

-Great rooms. Our room was spacious; we had a king size bedroom and a living room area with a pull out couch. Televisions in both rooms. Clean bathroom with a good shower/bath. One of the best hotel beds I've ever stayed in.

Cons:

Honestly, I don't usually stay in upscale hotels like this so it is hard to come up with something negative to say. I loved the historic building and appreciated the friendliness of the staff and the overall cleanliness. It's hard to complain about a hotel like this that is in the best location for visiting the Plaza area.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BTeeezy
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Mini Vacation Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is always so helpful to share comments like yours with all the people who work so hard to make it all happen. We will certainly look forward to your return!

NYC/NJ
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This is an attractive, historic 4 star boutique hotel, with 2.5 star service. The housekeeping, especially, needs major improvement. I did speak to the manager, Bill Carter, on two separate days about the issues that I was encountering at the hotel. He was extremely nice and genuine, and he even took $50 off the first night's stay (which I didn't know until I checked out), but I was still finding problems (with the housekeeping, in particular) the last evening. At this point there was no reason to complain again as I was leaving the next day.

I do have to go to KC on business occasionally, and would certainly give this hotel another try (as it's a gem in the making), but I was quite disappointed.

The Pros:

** The building itself is well preserved and very handsome.

** The lobby is pretty, with comfortable seating arrangements and more (that said, the air conditioning is kept on subzero so it's impossible to sit in the lobby for more than 10 minutes without freezing. Also, luggage carts are left in the middle of the lobby so you need to walk around them).

** The doormen are pleasant, friendly and prompt. I never had to open a door (a rarity, even with 5 star hotels).

** I stayed in a suite (not overlooking the Plaza), and although it looked out on the parking lot (not great, but I didn't want to pay extra to look at the Plaza), both the bedroom and the living room were well appointed. There were plenty of outlets (a huge plus for a business person), and the lighting was also good. Also excellent: closet space, drawer space, tvs (one and each room and both worked well), comfortable bed, chairs, sofas etc.

** Internet service was free! Hooray!

** Free parking in their lot, too!

** The bathroom was small, but perfectly fine. Good water pressure in the shower,too.

** A young, dark haired woman at the front desk who was professional, courteous and polished (she reminded me of the young, very professional and nice Kimpton hotel staff in their better hotels).

** Although check in was at 4pm, they allowed me to check in at noon.

** The hotel is steps away from the Plaza which, in my opinion, is the best place to stay in KC (I've stayed in KC at least 10 times. This is my first time in this hotel).

The Cons:

** The young man at the front desk who checked me in on Thursday, was nice enough, but it was perfunctory. He rattled off all of the hotel's amenities in a way that, if I was interested (and I was not because I was there for work etc.), I would have had to ask him to repeat himself more than once. Also, he kept plugging away at their "great" restaurant, even though I said that I had dinner plans (i.e. he wasn't listening to his guest).

I did ask him if he was "sure" that my room had been de-feathered (as requested on the website and an email). He was "sure" it was, but didn't lift up the phone to call housekeeping to check.

** In fact, the pillows were half feather and half foam. Housekeeping came promptly but the housekeeper herself wasn't sure if the duvet was feather or not (she then called her boss which took another 5 plus minutes). She was apologetic (and very flustered, which made me feel uncomfortable) but this is just sloppiness on the part of housekeeping (and the front desk for not checking in the first place).

** The suite did look very clean, but on closer inspection there was some dust on the bureau and on the tv in the bedroom. I wiped it off myself because I didn't want to call housekeeping yet again.

** I did have room service breakfast the first morning. Service was prompt and professional, but the toast was soggy, and the tea was awful (they need to switch to a better brand!). The fruit bowl, however, was very nice. That said, it was incredibly overpriced for so little food.

** I returned from my business dinner only to find that there was no turn down service at all -- the garbage barrels were not emptied, and the towels were not replaced (it was very hot so I did take a shower upon arrival). Suffice to say the bed wasn't turned down (that part of turn down is never a big deal to me).

When I called the front desk to ask about this they said that there is no turn down service the first night (Huh? Why? Makes no sense) and they never empty the garbage cans or replace towels during their turn down service anyway (this is when I spoke to the manager).

** They have an honor bar but you must call for a key (again, what's with that?). I did call for a key and another young man (pleasant) came up and gave me the key. I asked him why I had to call for a key to the honor bar, and he said that kids stay in the hotel and raid the fridge (yes, but don't they restock and find what's missing and charge the guest? I didn't get this explanation at all). I then said, "Well, I am not a child," and he said "Obviously!" (I am in my mid 50's but very fit and youthful. Or at least I think I am!:).
I honestly don't think he was trying to be rude but it was one of the rudest things that anyone has said to me in 30 years of traveling.

After this encounter he told me that there was a refrigerator as part of the console (I didn't know that) if I wanted to stock my Diet Coke's (which is what I planned to do in the mini-bar). Of course I was not told -- previous to this -- that there was a fridge, too.
While this is a very nice touch, the fridge kept things lukewarm (I turned it up to the highest setting too).

** The second day had more housekeeping issues including: still not dusting the bureau in the bedroom or tv; not bothering to move the chairs in the living room to clean (I found two Diet Coke tops which I must have dropped by mistake); the mirror in the bathroom was not wiped down (there were spots), and neither the soap nor the shampoo (I had used all of it and it was empty) was replaced.

In fairness, someone did knock on my door the second (and last night) and asked if I wanted turn down service, but I turned them down (I had had it by then).

I did got a nice note and some chocolates (about 6) from housekeeping apologizing that "they let me down."
I did appreciate that but why let me -- or any other guest -- down in the first place?

Please excuse the typos in this review.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DeborahPub
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to relay the unfortunate concerns you endured on your recent stay with us. Thanks to guests like yourself, I have a better opportunity to giveattention to the areas that need improvement. Thank you again for contacting me during your stay as well, as hopefully we were able to make immediate improvements to the challenges you shared at that time. I hope we will have the opportuntiy to regain your faith in our services on your next trip to Kansa City.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I recently spent 1 night at the Raphael. It is a very nice hotel in a great location. The bar and restaurant is great - terrific food and service. The only complaint I have is the bathroom. I was in a one bedroom suite which was very spaciuos and nice. The bathroom was TINY. I almost had to stand on the toilet to shave! Dont get me wrong it is a nice bathroom just very small. I am not sure if all the rooms have this small of a bathroom. Even with the small bathroom I will stay at the raphael again when I return to Kansas City.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank WorldTraveler50226
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear Recent Guests,

Thank you for sharing your very nice comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Raphael. I do want to apologise for the variety of sizes you might find with some of our guestrooms and bathroom facilities. Being a National Historical Landmark, we do have some unique sized accommodations. I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 30 July 2012

First couples weekend getaway without children in 16 years and we wanted something VERY special. We made a reservation for ROMANTIC package at The Raphael Hotel, Kansas City , Missouri for Friday and late check out Saturday and were so pleased with both the staff and the perks that came with the Package! It was well worth it and we had a magical time at the Plaza restraurants and shops with breakfast in bed Saturday morning from Chaz the hotel restraurant. It was made even more special by the quick delievery by staff and the fine meal. Can't say enough about the overall experience like a second Honeymoon.

Room Tip: Choose the Plaza view!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ldhuckst1
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Romantic Getaways,

Thank you for choosing the Raphael as your location for your "second honeymoon". We are so pleased to read you were pleased. Thank you for sharing your kind comments. Hopefully we will see you again soon!