I booked a one night stay in a suite overlooking the Plaza at Christmas time. This was also an event to celebrate my wife's birthday. When I originally booked the room through the hotels website, I reserved the room with a birthday package rate which included a bottle of champagne, a cake, and a commemorative picture frame. I also opted to include rose petals scattered across the bed. When you book the room you can also request certain amenities, which I did. I requested a higher room, early check-in, and extra feather pillows.
Several days prior to our reservation the hotel contacted me to confirm my reservation along with all of the extra details for my wife’s birthday. I thought this was a great service and it put my mind to ease.
My wife had no idea what we were doing and being that she loves the Plaza, we did a little shopping before going to the hotel. I called and checked with the hotel around 2:45pm to see if the room was ready (normal check in is 4:00pm) and they advised it was not. I understand early check-in is not always available, especially this time of year. So we did some more shopping and when we arrived around 4:00pm, we utilized the free valet parking option and walked into the lobby. I am glad we did not have much luggage as no one ever offered to help, not that we needed it, just nice to know the service is available. The lobby was decorated nicely, but there were no beverages or treats anywhere that everyone else mentions in their reviews. There was also a wedding taking place, so we had to dodge the bridal party and a photo shoot to just get into the lobby.
As we were checking in, we were advised the room still was not ready and it would take another 15 minutes or so. I thought this was a little strange, but I went with it. Several minutes later, we were on our way up to the room. The room was nice and on the 6th floor of the 9 total floors of the hotel and we had an amazing view of the Plaza. The room itself was nice, the bed and sheets were nice, and overall it was a good room. Not a 5 star resort type room, but a nice fairly recently renovated room. I also noticed the extra feather pillows were in the room, which was nice. We did notice we had a light bulb out on one of our fixtures that we thought should have been fairly obvious to replace.
When I originally confirmed with the hotel, I requested the birthday surprise to come to the room around 7:00pm when we returned from dinner. I was informed that the hotel would take care of it and it would be a nice surprise when we returned.
That night when we returned to our room, the only thing in the room was the cake. I had to go back to the lobby manager and ask what happened. She was very nice and offered a free breakfast for two as a result of the mistake, but it still kind of put a damper on the moment. They were out of flowers and could not deliver on the rose petals I had wanted. It took several minutes, but eventually the picture frame and champagne were brought up separately. The cake was great and moist and my wife loved it. She didn’t, however, love the champagne because she thought it tasted very cheap and we ended up just pouring it out.
Another down point was this hotel is part of the Marriot rewards program. I could not add the points to our rewards card or my wife would have found out about the surprise. I was originally told that when we checked out, they could easily add the points to our reservation. When we checked out, I was told by the front desk that they are not allowed to do that and only Marriot themselves can issue points. She then said if we were to come back we could put our rewards points’ card on file for future use, which kind of irked me a little bit. We still do not have any reward points for our visit, still working on that issue. We might try The Raphael again, but at this moment, we are still undecided.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Raphael Hotel is an elegant, charming boutique accommodation modeled on the finest small European hotels. Readers of Travel+Leisure voted The Raphael Hotel one of the 2015 T+L 500 World's Best Hotels. With a combination of a significant historic landmark, vintage hospitality, and individualized service, this Kansas City luxury hotel delivers a unique destination experience in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri's famed Country Club Plaza.The hotel's signature restaurant, Chaz on the Plaza, is noted for its intimate, romantic atmosphere and its distinct brand of modern, regional American cuisine. Menus offer a concise, yet diverse variety of appetizers, salads, soups, entrees and desserts. Signature items include fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and a hand-cut, wet-aged prime beef Kansas City strip steak that advances Kansas City's beef reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Marriott, Booking.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Kansas City