“High hopes that did not quite get there.”

The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri
“High hopes that did not quite get there.”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I booked a one night stay in a suite overlooking the Plaza at Christmas time. This was also an event to celebrate my wife's birthday. When I originally booked the room through the hotels website, I reserved the room with a birthday package rate which included a bottle of champagne, a cake, and a commemorative picture frame. I also opted to include rose petals scattered across the bed. When you book the room you can also request certain amenities, which I did. I requested a higher room, early check-in, and extra feather pillows.

Several days prior to our reservation the hotel contacted me to confirm my reservation along with all of the extra details for my wife’s birthday. I thought this was a great service and it put my mind to ease.

My wife had no idea what we were doing and being that she loves the Plaza, we did a little shopping before going to the hotel. I called and checked with the hotel around 2:45pm to see if the room was ready (normal check in is 4:00pm) and they advised it was not. I understand early check-in is not always available, especially this time of year. So we did some more shopping and when we arrived around 4:00pm, we utilized the free valet parking option and walked into the lobby. I am glad we did not have much luggage as no one ever offered to help, not that we needed it, just nice to know the service is available. The lobby was decorated nicely, but there were no beverages or treats anywhere that everyone else mentions in their reviews. There was also a wedding taking place, so we had to dodge the bridal party and a photo shoot to just get into the lobby.

As we were checking in, we were advised the room still was not ready and it would take another 15 minutes or so. I thought this was a little strange, but I went with it. Several minutes later, we were on our way up to the room. The room was nice and on the 6th floor of the 9 total floors of the hotel and we had an amazing view of the Plaza. The room itself was nice, the bed and sheets were nice, and overall it was a good room. Not a 5 star resort type room, but a nice fairly recently renovated room. I also noticed the extra feather pillows were in the room, which was nice. We did notice we had a light bulb out on one of our fixtures that we thought should have been fairly obvious to replace.

When I originally confirmed with the hotel, I requested the birthday surprise to come to the room around 7:00pm when we returned from dinner. I was informed that the hotel would take care of it and it would be a nice surprise when we returned.

That night when we returned to our room, the only thing in the room was the cake. I had to go back to the lobby manager and ask what happened. She was very nice and offered a free breakfast for two as a result of the mistake, but it still kind of put a damper on the moment. They were out of flowers and could not deliver on the rose petals I had wanted. It took several minutes, but eventually the picture frame and champagne were brought up separately. The cake was great and moist and my wife loved it. She didn’t, however, love the champagne because she thought it tasted very cheap and we ended up just pouring it out.

Another down point was this hotel is part of the Marriot rewards program. I could not add the points to our rewards card or my wife would have found out about the surprise. I was originally told that when we checked out, they could easily add the points to our reservation. When we checked out, I was told by the front desk that they are not allowed to do that and only Marriot themselves can issue points. She then said if we were to come back we could put our rewards points’ card on file for future use, which kind of irked me a little bit. We still do not have any reward points for our visit, still working on that issue. We might try The Raphael again, but at this moment, we are still undecided.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
A Nice Couple,

Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us about some of the challenges you recently endured on your recent stay with us. Thanks to guests like yourself, we have the opportunity to give attention to situations that may require improvement, as well as to share all input with all of our associates. I obviously want to apologise for those inconveniences, and promise that re-training will be addressed in those areas. In addition I will be contacting you privately to discuss your Rewards account.

Again thank you for your valued input, your patience, and your patronage.

Happy Holidays,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

My wife surprised me with a night out for my birthday. Complimentary valet parking started this exceptional night. The room was a suite with seep rate bedroom and sitting room. Bathroom well appointed an clean. The live music for happy hour and dinner was incredible relaxing. Go check in for a day or two and forget about the busy life outside of this magical hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Tejasdrmr,

Happy Birthday! Thank you for choosing the Raphael Hotel and Chaz for your birthday celebration. We certainly appreciate your kind comments. This sounds like the making of a great birthday tradition...

St Louis
Reviewed 11 December 2013

A friend and I stayed for a weekend getaway from St Louis. The location can't be beat due to it's proximity to the CC Plaza. We stayed in a king room which was generous in size and a good sized well appointed bathroom as well. What sets The Raphael apart though is their staff. We felt very welcomed by everyone from the valet to the bellman to the people at the front desk. Everyone was so kind and so generous. They were very knowledgeable about the city and it's nightlife, attractions, shopping, and restaurants. I've stayed at the Wyndham, and the Intercontinental in KC but neither of them came close to the personal touch of this hotel. The rooms were clean and we had room service for breakfast only which was tasty and quite reasonable. I've been meaning to right this review for quite some time, we visited in September, because what I really wanted to do was to thank them for making our weekend so special.

Room Tip: Be sure to inquire about a free appetizer gift from the front desk for the Capital Grille.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear bummin45,

It's never too late to share a review like yours! Thank you for taking the time to remember us.It is really kind of you to comment on the staff service you received. It is always so nice for all of our associates to to receive feedback like this!

Please plan on returning again soon.....

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The rooms are lovely, the location is great (close to boutiques and restaurants), and the service is exceptional! Hot chocolate and treats in the evening, coffee, tea and breakfast items in the morning, and usually hot cider all day long -- all served in the very inviting lobby. But, with all that, it is the service that is so outstanding! (Thank you, Brad.) My husband and I travel extensively and always stay at the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, if there is one in town. They are both lovely hotel chains, but we are happy that neither were in Kansas City, or we would never have stayed at this outstanding hotel! We stayed for a week, and it was one of the nicest hotel experiences we ever had. If you are in Kansas City, stay at The Raphael -- you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Presidential Suites, which had a room with a view dedicated to the largest s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Greta M
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Greta,

You are "Simply the Best", as well with your gracious reviews! Thank you so much for being our guest and for sharing your thoughts. Please plan on returning soon...

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and Ijust had a wonderful stay at the Raphael at he Country Club Plaza in Kansas City for our tenth anniversary. It is one of the most beautiful properties that we have stayed, similar to the Waldorf Astoria in New York. It is a historical landmark and a very well maintained hotel. From the time you drive up into the beautiful circle drive, you are greeted by the door man, bell hop and front desk without a wait from professional and friendly employees. The rooms are well appointed, clean and have plush towel and wonderful beds. The location is adjacent to the Plaza and is a short walk to wonderful shopping and restaurants. If you decide to eat at the hotel the restaurant Chaz is wonderful and I will give it a separate review. Asking my wife if she had any complaints, she said, "only that we have to leave!". You will not be disappointed with your stay and if you visit their website, they have great romantic packages!

Room Tip: A room that overlooks the Plaza is beautiful, especially at Christmas.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. SteveWV59,

WOW, thank you so much for all of your generous comments about your recent stay with us a the Raphael Hotel. We love your wife's comment about wanting to stay longer, the next time please plan on doing so, so can have the opportunity to do even more for you.We truly appreciate your time in sharing all your thoughts. This means the world to all of our associates who make it all happen. Hope to see you again soon....

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is classy and sophisticated and is located within walking distance of the Country Club shopping plaza, with more than a dozen restaurants and plenty of mid-to-high-end shopping. The room was not large, but it was a well laid-out, open space with a large bed, sitting area, and comfortable space around the desk.

The hotel itself is beautifully adorned and has classic architecture (high-back chairs and marble in the lobby). My business stay was only supposed to be for two nights, but I stayed two nights longer when my flight home was cancelled due to winter weather. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating.

The hotel restaurant was reliable for creative, quality cuisine. I dined for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the restaurant (not all the same day), and I was pleased with the quality of each meal. On a few nights during my stay, there was a live band in the bar/lounge area. If you didn't want to hear the band, I'm sure you could be seated further away in the restaurant.

On the bar/lounge drink menu, they include classic drinks like the Sidecar (my favorite). This may seem a small detail, but it is very difficult to get a Sidecar in most places (or at least a good Sidecar).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear MD Traveling Two,

We are so grateful of the wonderful review you shared from your recent extended stay with us at the Raphael Hotel, and the generous comments you made about Chaz. Thank you for taking the time to share so many of the details you experienced.

We certainly will look forward to your return!

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We got away for a weekend and stayed at the Raphael in KC. We were disappointed. It's clean and nice generally speaking but the room was really small. One sink and a small bathroom. It was an "upgraded" room so I can't imagine what the standard is like. We've stayed at the Intercontinental a few times. It's right across the street, a little less, and it's a lot better. It has a bigger lobby with a bar and a live band some nights. The rooms are much bigger and though it's far from perfect my advice is stay there instead. Hope this helps.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Recent Guests,

Thank you for thaking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. Thanks to guests like yourself, we have the opportunity to give attention to situations that may require improvement, as well as to share all input with all of our associates. We do hope you will give us an other opportunity to host you again in the future.