“Make this a destination by itself!”

The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Lees Summit, MO
“Make this a destination by itself!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Having spent thousands of nights in hotels all over the U.S. during the last 50 years, I have to say that the Raphael is the best of the best.

We spent New Year's eve at the Raphael and were overwhelmed by the level of service, quality of accomodations and food. We felt that we were genuinely appreciated and all personnel seemed as though they were delighted to work there and to serve us.

Room Tip: Ask if there is an upgrade available when you check in. Also, see if you can be on the North side...
Green Features: Using the friendly light bulbs, placards indicating the hotel's concern for the environment and offering tips and services relating to green living.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Richard M,

What a very nice review! Thank you so much for your generous thoughts. I promise to share them with all of our associates who make it all happen. Please plan on returning soon!

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The Raphael is a lovely hotel in Kansas City and it was my choice, for a recent weekend visit, for a couple of reasons. The location is fantastic – Country Club Plaza is just across the street. Parking, valet or self-directed, is free. So is the Internet. And I adored my room – a junior suite that was essentially one big room, with a living area, with sofa, and a bedroom area. The bed was a little too soft but that’s such a personal preference that it’s really not all that important. A couple of nice touches in the room: The bathroom, with a deep soaking tub, very cool subway-style tiling, and a lovely shade of yellow on the walls (would love to know what that paint was!), was a big hit. Also worth noting: This is the first hotel I’ve ever stayed in, ever, where you got both a mini-bar – essentially a fully stocked mini-fridge – and also a separate mini-fridge that was empty, so you could put your own stuff in it. Wow, what a great idea!

On the down side, and the reason why my rating for the Raphael is lower than even I would have expected, is the hotel’s soft side, i.e. service. Check in was utterly bizarre. Arriving after 4 p.m., I was told my room wasn’t yet ready (really?), and that I would be added to the list of other guests whose rooms weren’t ready (saw the list, daunting). For a hotel of this caliber, that kind of welcome was not acceptable. Even stranger: When I asked questions, like the very reasonable “can you give me an ETA on what time the room will be ready?” – remember, it’s after check-in time, it’s not like I was asking for the favor of an early arrival – I couldn’t get a straight answer. I asked three times, then I finally suggested to the beleaguered check-in staffer: Maybe you could check with housekeeping? Essentially, what I wanted to know was whether it would be 10 minutes or 2 hours, so I could adapt my schedule accordingly.

My requests were ignored, and the front desk manager, who was alongside, kept saying, irritatingly (not to mention quite condescendingly), “we appreciate your patience” when I was feeling anything but patient. Ultimately, he upgraded the initial “inconvenience offer” from a free item at breakfast to a junior suite. But here’s what was weird to me: When, finally, the clerk did contact housekeeping, rooms were available. Why then would the hotel feel it necessary to put its customers through that?

I was later told that several housekeepers didn’t show up, and after I raised my concerns, according to the front desk manager, some on-site managers realized they needed to pitch in. That didn’t give me confidence in the hotel’s management, who should have been on the ball before it was missing check-in times. Also, I noticed various weirdness's, all related to housekeeping and general management, throughout my two night stay – one guest had left his room service tray opposite the elevator on the fourth floor and it stayed just that way for at least 12 hours. The sidewalk on the entire left side of the hotel was cordoned off, for some reason, so you had to walk in the driveway to get to the crosswalk for Country Club Plaza. Toiletries weren’t replaced in my room. And several times, crossing through the tiny lobby it seemed that staff was having a great time socializing with each other – but maybe not paying so much attention to guests.

So good and bad. It’s ironic to me that my first night in KC I stayed at the Hyatt Place out by the airport. And there were absolutely no service issues. Toiletries were plentiful. Check in was efficient. The free breakfast was well done. Check-out was heartfelt. The hotel was meticulous. (Writing separate review for that stay).

Will I go back to the Raphael? Kansas City isn’t a hotbed of high quality hotels (the Intercontinental next door gets fairly vile reviews on TripAdvisor and that did impact my choice). But this wasn’t a cheap hotel stay, and for the money, I’m not sure that there was the right value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Carolyn S
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Carolyn S.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the details of the very unfortunate circumstances of your recent stay with us. Thanks to guests like yourself we have the opportunity to give attention to situations that may need improvement. Obviously, in this situation we need a great deal of attention given to improving the challenges you had to endure. Please accept my personal apologies for all the delays and other issues you described. While the response and reaction you recieved is certainly not typical of our normal level of service, it appears we some re training in those areas to improve upon. I am so sorry you did not get to enjoy the typical experience we strive so hard to provide.

Again thank you so much for your valued input, your patience, and your patronage. I hope we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This classic hotel has a 1940s ambience with 21st century amenities like WiFi, iPhone docking stations, and multiple power ports at elegant business desks and casual dining tables in the room or suite. Beds are excellent with firm mattresses and 300 thread-count sheets. Rooms/suites are tastefully decorated and furnished, and the panoramic views of the holiday lights from the Country Club Plaza below are spectacular. Hotel staff is professional, pleasant and accommodating, particularly the advance concierge. I tried to submit a review from my iPhone from the premises but was disappointed to see that your iPhone app was unable to accommodate this. Chaz Restaurant in the hotel was outstanding.

Room Tip: Try the studio suites overlooking the Country Club Plaza.
Green Features: This property observes "green" policies such as the option of reusing linens for additional days as guests' options.
1 Thank Michael C
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Michael C.,

Thanks so much for your kind review and your recent business with us. It is always so helpful when someone takes the time to point out great staff experiences. We will make certain they are aware of your thoughts and comments. Thanks again for being our guest. We will look forward to your return.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here in one of the so-called Presidential Suites. This is a great room -- or actually, several rooms. In addition to the bedroom, there is a good size sitting room, lovely bathroom and a whirlpool tub. (Supposedly the tub is made for two people, but it's a tight squeeze.) The whole place has a very old-school, majestic feel to it. Sort of like a smaller version of the Grosvenor House in London, which is one of our favorite Marriotts world-wide. But the staff is anything but stuffy here. They tended to be young and friendly. Valet parking is speedy and free. There is tons of good shopping in the Plaza right across the street. Unfortunately, our view was a bit disappointing, but that wasn't a big deal at all.

We stayed on a package rate which included dinner in the hotel restaurant: Chaz on the Plaza. I'll write my review of the food there, but I will note here that the package is outstanding value. The way it works from the way it was described to us, is that you get two entrees and then four other plates. So two appetizers and two desserts. Or one appetizer, two salads, and one dessert. And you can pick anything from the menu. You also get a bottle of wine up to $50 (or, if you go over, you pay the difference). And amazingly, the gratuity was included! I would strongly suggest the package if you would like a nice special evening together. The first night we had rose petals on the table and a rose for my wife to take back to the room. I'm not quite sure what happened on the second night, but we didn't really miss it. I would strongly suggest breakfast in the restaurant as well.

I have some minor gripes, but they really aren't worth airing. My only substantive complaint is that there was a bit of an oversight by Housekeeping. When we checked out on our final morning, we did our last-minute check around the room to ensure we hadn't forgotten anything. Above one of the wardrobes, I found a half-eaten cotton candy in a plastic bag. It looked like it had been there for a while. Granted, I didn't see it until our last hour in the room, but Housekeeping really should have looked harder. It was rather gross, really. I'm happy to report that aside from that, the room was very clean.

I can see why this is the top-rated hotel in Kansas City on TripAdvisor. It's a big of a splurge price-wise, but definitely worth it.

1 Thank One_Chicago_Traveler
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear One Chicago,

Thank you again, for your kind review, and all the details you referred to. We truly appreciate all your efforts. I certainly want to apologize for the one housekeeping issue we let you down on. I promise we will review that particular item with our training efforts. Thank you again for not only one review, but two. We hope to see you return again soon!

Happy Holidays!
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

The room was very nice with plenty of room to relax after work. They always had a good selection for free breakfast and most nights a free dinner. Good location with easy access to the highway. Would recommend the chain of hotels for any travel, as you get a good deal for the price.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Scott R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind thoughts about your recent stay at the Raphael Hotel. We certainly appreciate your valued input as well as your patronage.

Happy Holidays!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I booked a one night stay in a suite overlooking the Plaza at Christmas time. This was also an event to celebrate my wife's birthday. When I originally booked the room through the hotels website, I reserved the room with a birthday package rate which included a bottle of champagne, a cake, and a commemorative picture frame. I also opted to include rose petals scattered across the bed. When you book the room you can also request certain amenities, which I did. I requested a higher room, early check-in, and extra feather pillows.

Several days prior to our reservation the hotel contacted me to confirm my reservation along with all of the extra details for my wife’s birthday. I thought this was a great service and it put my mind to ease.

My wife had no idea what we were doing and being that she loves the Plaza, we did a little shopping before going to the hotel. I called and checked with the hotel around 2:45pm to see if the room was ready (normal check in is 4:00pm) and they advised it was not. I understand early check-in is not always available, especially this time of year. So we did some more shopping and when we arrived around 4:00pm, we utilized the free valet parking option and walked into the lobby. I am glad we did not have much luggage as no one ever offered to help, not that we needed it, just nice to know the service is available. The lobby was decorated nicely, but there were no beverages or treats anywhere that everyone else mentions in their reviews. There was also a wedding taking place, so we had to dodge the bridal party and a photo shoot to just get into the lobby.

As we were checking in, we were advised the room still was not ready and it would take another 15 minutes or so. I thought this was a little strange, but I went with it. Several minutes later, we were on our way up to the room. The room was nice and on the 6th floor of the 9 total floors of the hotel and we had an amazing view of the Plaza. The room itself was nice, the bed and sheets were nice, and overall it was a good room. Not a 5 star resort type room, but a nice fairly recently renovated room. I also noticed the extra feather pillows were in the room, which was nice. We did notice we had a light bulb out on one of our fixtures that we thought should have been fairly obvious to replace.

When I originally confirmed with the hotel, I requested the birthday surprise to come to the room around 7:00pm when we returned from dinner. I was informed that the hotel would take care of it and it would be a nice surprise when we returned.

That night when we returned to our room, the only thing in the room was the cake. I had to go back to the lobby manager and ask what happened. She was very nice and offered a free breakfast for two as a result of the mistake, but it still kind of put a damper on the moment. They were out of flowers and could not deliver on the rose petals I had wanted. It took several minutes, but eventually the picture frame and champagne were brought up separately. The cake was great and moist and my wife loved it. She didn’t, however, love the champagne because she thought it tasted very cheap and we ended up just pouring it out.

Another down point was this hotel is part of the Marriot rewards program. I could not add the points to our rewards card or my wife would have found out about the surprise. I was originally told that when we checked out, they could easily add the points to our reservation. When we checked out, I was told by the front desk that they are not allowed to do that and only Marriot themselves can issue points. She then said if we were to come back we could put our rewards points’ card on file for future use, which kind of irked me a little bit. We still do not have any reward points for our visit, still working on that issue. We might try The Raphael again, but at this moment, we are still undecided.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
A Nice Couple,

Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us about some of the challenges you recently endured on your recent stay with us. Thanks to guests like yourself, we have the opportunity to give attention to situations that may require improvement, as well as to share all input with all of our associates. I obviously want to apologise for those inconveniences, and promise that re-training will be addressed in those areas. In addition I will be contacting you privately to discuss your Rewards account.

Again thank you for your valued input, your patience, and your patronage.

Happy Holidays,
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

My wife surprised me with a night out for my birthday. Complimentary valet parking started this exceptional night. The room was a suite with seep rate bedroom and sitting room. Bathroom well appointed an clean. The live music for happy hour and dinner was incredible relaxing. Go check in for a day or two and forget about the busy life outside of this magical hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Tejasdrmr,

Happy Birthday! Thank you for choosing the Raphael Hotel and Chaz for your birthday celebration. We certainly appreciate your kind comments. This sounds like the making of a great birthday tradition...

Happy Holidays,