“Not bad at all”

Kansas City Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #83 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
“Not bad at all”
Reviewed 12 February 2003

i stayed at the Park Place Hotel in January, and i must admit, there are very positive chnages happening there. it seems the management or the new owners decided there is value in this hotel and are doing something about it. for the price and for the future outlook of the hotel, i will no doubt stay there again, and again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed 24 September 2002

The Park Place Hotel is definately an older hotel facility in need of a full renovation. I have stayed there numerous times and find the staff accomondating and the hotel clean and functional with the best part being the price! It is 50% less than staying at other full service hotels in Kansas City. For my buck, it is a great value!

Reviewed 5 July 2002

From a person who has (in his 18 short years) been to many places on earth, I have found no other place to compare to this dump. I was forced to go to this hotel while attending the Skills USA/VICA National Competition in Kansas City (every state stays in a hotel together). The list of things wrong with this hotel could go on for hours, but I will list a few of the more interesting ones.
-If we needed a key to get in the room, we just went to the desk and asked for a key to that room. They handed it over without even checking ID or anything. We tested this out by asking for a key to our advisor's room, and they gave it to us, no questions asked.
-There was a pond behind the hotel, filled with over two hundred floating, rotting fish carcasses. It was one of the most nauseating things I had ever smelled.
-The decomposing fish smell was being sucked into the rooms that were adjacent to the lake via the air conditioners (provided they actually worked, as many people's did not). And since the temperature was over 100 degrees, we weren't going without the air conditiioner so we had to deal with the dead fish smell.
-There were literally cockroaches in the hotel. I saw two of them.
-My bed was made three out of the five nights I was there. The other two, the "room service" consisted of putting new towels and taking out the old ones. Nothing more.
-If you needed a pen and pad of paper (which listed a hotel that was NOT the one we were at, might I add), the front desk did not have any. They told you to contact housekeeping. Of course, after 5pm housekeeping is gone. Their response? "Go back to your room to get the one in there."
-The wait staff at the restaurant took five minutes to FIND the lunch menus.
-My room was two doors away from the lobby, and all we heard all night was people in the lobby.
-Our room was facing the parking lot, and there were actual strips of vertical blinds missing from the window (which was the entire wall, might i add.) Not a comforting sight when you are trying to change and you can clearly see through the many open slots the parking lot and everyone in it.
-Behind one of the desks, there was an extension cord with about 5 or 6 plugs attached to it, probably a fire hazard.
-Our advisor had no remote to his television, and it took the hotel four days to bring him one.

The list goes on from there. The hotel was dirty, run-down, poorly staffed and managed, and just an absolute eyesore. Don't let the (almost) nice outside fool you, this hotel is the pits. We have heard that the hotel was supposed to have been bought out by the Clarion chain, but they terminated the deal post 9/11. Personally, i believe that they cancelled the deal upon sight of the hotel's interior. The hotel looks like it was actually a decent place a few years ago, but they haven't done a single thing to keep it looking nice, and has degenerated to the point where it is just unacceptable. Rumor has it from the locals that the hotel is only used by people who solicit prostitution and college students to throw parties in. I'm not surprised. Avoid this hotel at all costs!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Reviewed 22 June 2002

We were led to this hotel by an advertisement stating, 'We're just across the street from Worlds of Fun…'. The truth? They're actually TWO complete exits away from Worlds of Fun in a run down business-park filled with goose droppings.

Upon check in, I stated my complaint regarding the advertisement to the hotel attendant. He agreed that the ad was blatantly misleading, and told me to speak to the Sales or General Manager about the issue. As we entered the elevator the rancid smell of cat markings filled our senses and only intensified as we reached our room. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which was filthy from the previous nights dinner (old french fries and other dried foods were underfoot). There is also a nightclub and lounge, which from all appearances is a favored haunt amongst divorced 50-somethings.

When we complained to the general manager (Tom Moriarty) about the misleading advertisement, he said there was absolutely nothing misleading about it, as they are just ACROSS the street. Yes, across an INTERSTATE and a RIVER, down TWO exits, and smack dab in the middle of goose poop park. This man was so foul, I didn't even have a chance to voice my other complaints. He has no listening skills whatsoever, and spent most of the time belittling me for thinking their ad actually LITERALLY meant just across the street.

There were other nice employees at this hotel, but their general manager is the absolute rudest I have ever dealt with in my life. When I asked him for the name of his boss, he refused and said he had no boss. Apparantly the hotel is owned by a bank and is under forecloser. Big surprise there!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member