“Thieves!!!”

Holiday Inn Express North Kansas City
Ranked #58 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My experience at the Quality Inn & Suites in Kansas City on Macon St. would have been a farely good exprerience if the staff would have not stole my private property! On check out day my friend and I left our hotel room 10 minutes after leaving my friend asked me did you remember to grab your camera from the bed? I quickly remembered leaving it right at the foot of the bed I called the hotel right away and some how the receptionist claims that in the 10 minutes from us leaving the cleaning staff had already cleaned the room had the sheets in the washer and had left for the day!!!! Are you serious? She completely took it as a joke they have been giving me the run around and what is worse is the manager is allowing this behavior he spoke to me claiming to get to the bottom of it but swearing his staff wouldn't steal! Well ever since that day they have completely ignored all my phone calls but when I called from a different number they answered. This is completely rediculous and something should be done I do not recommend anyone stay there, no air conditioning through the halls, expired milk in breakfast area, and unprofessional staff who was eating the breakfast while suppose to be working! Overall worse hotel experience I have ever had!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank jax10_10

Reviewed 14 February 2010

I booked this hotel on hotels.com, and got a pretty good rate (about $70 after taxes). When I arrived at 11:30 am, my room wasn't ready. Check in is listed as being at 2:00pm, so that's no big deal (I do think it makes more sense to have the rooms that are reserved in advance cleaned first, though, but that's just my personal opinion). The girl at the front desk was very helpful and suggested a mall I could go to in the meantime, and gave me very clear directions on how to get there.
The walls are very thin, I found out (this seems to be a common theme with the hotels I stay at, managers really need to work on this). I could hear the people talking in the hallway, and the people....celebrating Valentine's Day...in the next room. Quite clearly. Which made me self conscious because I knew people in the hallway and next room could hear every move I made. A hotel room should be a haven where you have privacy, no one should be able to hear what you're doing in the bathroom (which is right next to the door to your room), or watching on tv or your phone conversation with a friend.
A few other complaints...they "upgraded" me to a jacuzzi suite, but told me that they were in the process of removing all of the jacuzzis from the hotel, so the water and electricity on it were turned off. So I was moved to a room with a non-functional jacuzzi, because they didn't have any standard king rooms available, even though I'd booked one.
Also, the hotel is currently under construction. There is no carpet in the lobby, it's all bare cement. Not very appealing. There are signs up saying that the construction will only be going on from 9am to 8 pm to ensure a comfortable night's sleep for the guests, however there was some sort of lift right outside my window with people working on it, well after 11 pm. If you are a light sleeper, I recommend calling before you book and asking them if this place is still under construction.
The king bed was pretty comfortable (not as comfortable as a five star's bed, but it was more comfortable than my bed at home) and though there were some rust stains in the bathroom, it was clean, as were the towels.
The continental breakfast was okay. It had make your own waffles, bagels, instant oatmeal packets, bread, juice, coffee and hard boiled eggs. Not as much as I expected for a Comfort Inn, but about what you'd expect for the price.
Overall, I do recommend it, and I feel I did get a good deal for the price. I felt safe there, the rooms really need some sound proofing, and they need to stick to their promised hours of construction.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Tamara M
Reviewed 24 November 2009

my family and i came to kansas city to watch a football game at arrowhead. we stayed at the quality inn and suites on macon street for three nights. on the first night, my son entered his room and noticed dried blood stained onto the sheets of his bed. not only that, but the shower curtain smelled like a wet towel in a gym locker room and the floor of the shower was brown as if somebody had spit chewing tobacco all over it. The second night, a group of individuals threw a party from around one in the morning until about six in the morning, keeping us up. the third night was rather peaceful, other than the sounds of garbage trucks at two in the morning right outside the paper thin walls of the hotel.
besides that, the hotels security is up to par...if you consider a single door on the side of the building without any key card requirement as safe. but hey, the location makes up for it. its located in a shady area of north Kansas city next to the interstate and an ancient dry wall factory that puts out some sort of fumes. i guess the best part of the hotel is the fleas that one of my sons recieved from sleeping in this [--]. thanks quality inn and suites!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank themotelguy
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Save your money and look elsewhere. Stayed two nights, July 18th and 19th. In Kansas City to take grandchildren to Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun. After visiting Worlds of Fun on friday checked into the hotel around 8:00 p.m., booked three rooms that were suppose to be together, same floor but not together, not too much problem. But when my son went in his room he found an empty beer bottle on the floor and had no towels in the bathroom. We went to the front desk to report the problem and the young desk clerk only offered to bring towels to the room but wouldn't give him a different room saying the maid said she cleaned the room. When the kids and adults went to use the pool we were wondering why no one was using it, the water was so cold my youngest grandsons lips turned purple. They only stayed about 15 minutes and got out. On saturday after returning from a day long trip to Oceans of Fun our room had not been cleaned, again all we got was clean towels. The air conditioner in our room was barely working and didn't cool the room until late that night. (We were wondering why an air conditioner repairman was working on air conditioner units in the parking lot.) Again the pool was too cold to use for very long, good thing we had been to Oceans of Fun during the day. Not that it was their fault but both nights, friday night saturday morning at 3:15 a.m. the fire alarms went off, someone was smoking in a non-smoking room and triggered the alarm and on saturday night at 11:00 p.m. again, didn't hear what the problem was, but four fire trucks and two emergency vehicles showed up. Needless to say our stay was not very enjoyable and we definately will not go back, I urge you to stay elsewhere. Beds are listed as queens but are more the size of super twins.
Jim R

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2008

Stayed here for several nights in early 2008. A newer property in an industrial area, but close to the highway. Stayed with a group in eight rooms. Wireless Internet worked well. The rooms were generally clean. But one room had the air conditioning fail (the guests were moved elsewhere). Another room had an issue with the bathtub drain being slow. Front desk staff were above average but not amazing. Breakfast was above average but you had to get there early (before 8:15) before the good stuff (e.g., fruit) ran out. Rates were reasonable. We'll probably stay there again - for the price, it's a good value.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 18 September 2007

We stayed 2 nights here while in Kansas City for the Tour of Missouri bicycle race. The location of this Quality Inn is very much in an industrial part of town with a drywall factory right next door. The room was average and could have used some more cleaning. The bathroom had a musty smell that made me sneeze every time I went in it.
There was one computer in the lobby with free internet, but it took us forever to be able to use it because there was a kid playing games and watching videos on YouTube for hours. Be nice if they would limit the amount of time someone could hog the computer.
Breakfast was your standard freebie; tiny muffins, apples, bananas, bagels, cereal, donuts etc. Nothing to get excited about.
There was a Pizza Hut directly in front of the Quality Inn, but be warned they close at 10pm so don't expect to order a pizza late.
I seriously doubt this would be my first choice of places to stay when I return to Kansas City again, but it's better than some I've stayed in!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Letha A
Reviewed 13 June 2007

Great location! Easy to get to anywhere from here. There is a lot of choices for food close by. Also a gas station right in front of the hotel. You are right of the highway, but it is not noisey. The room was clean and comfy. There was plenty of space. Only complaint was that one of the beds had an old, ichy blanket. They did bring a new one, much softer. Didn't have the comp. breakfast but it was offered. The indoor pool was a nice size and it was clean. This a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
Comfort Inn & Suites near Worlds of Fun
Hilton Garden Inn Kansas City
Hilton Garden Inn Kansas City
#7 of 21 in Kansas City

Been to Holiday Inn Express North Kansas City? Share your experiences!