“Amazing customer care!!”

Ranked #59 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Pittsburg, Kansas
“Amazing customer care!!”
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I"ve recently had to travel quite a bit to Kansas City, mostly for business, sometimes for pleasure. Several months ago I randomly chose this hotel for a two night stay. And then I've stayed there 3 more times since!! It isn't always the closet to my meeting site, but I don't care because the personal service I receive is phenomenal. The staff goes out of there way to accomodate my "extra" wants and needs. The free breakfast is varied and yummy. The entire hotel is nicely decorated and the rooms are clean, clean, clean and comfortable. I can't say enough about this hotel-and its wonderful team of employees.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Las Animas
Reviewed 17 August 2010

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express North on Macon Street. I was attending two shows at the Northtown Opry on Swift Avenue. Beds were very comfortable. A.\/C in the halls, Nice comfortable and clean rooms. A good breakfast but no waffle maker like most motels have. Staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Some of our friends complained that they were kept awake by noisey people on 3rd floor but on second floor where I stayed, most were quiet. I will definitely stay there again. This neighborhood does not have many restaurants but it is not the fault of the motel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
st louis
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Based on previous comments, I can say that this hotel is no longer the Quality Inn that previous people have commented on. It is now a Holiday Inn Express. It is brand new!
We had a king suite, which included a fridge and microwave. The room was L-shaped and very large. We had a sofa bed which when we pulled out had never even been opened! It still had the lock on it from shipping as well as the plastic on the mattress! Our king bed was very comfortable! The room and the whole hotel was very clean. Breakfast was good, as the usual at a Holiday Inn Express. The area is about 3 miles from downtown. I wouldnt say it was exactly a wonderful area, but we did not have any problems. The hotel is next door to some type of factory. We had no choice when choosing our location for the weekend, as all hotels in the downtown area were booked! I am assuming this is also the reason for the rediculous rate of $150 per night that we had to pay and that was a AAA discount! That was the only downfall to staying at this hotel. I can see paying that for a downtown hotel, but for a Holiday Inn Express not even in the downtown area was a bit steep.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank karenpStLouis
Dodge City, Kansas
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My experience at the Quality Inn & Suites in Kansas City on Macon St. would have been a farely good exprerience if the staff would have not stole my private property! On check out day my friend and I left our hotel room 10 minutes after leaving my friend asked me did you remember to grab your camera from the bed? I quickly remembered leaving it right at the foot of the bed I called the hotel right away and some how the receptionist claims that in the 10 minutes from us leaving the cleaning staff had already cleaned the room had the sheets in the washer and had left for the day!!!! Are you serious? She completely took it as a joke they have been giving me the run around and what is worse is the manager is allowing this behavior he spoke to me claiming to get to the bottom of it but swearing his staff wouldn't steal! Well ever since that day they have completely ignored all my phone calls but when I called from a different number they answered. This is completely rediculous and something should be done I do not recommend anyone stay there, no air conditioning through the halls, expired milk in breakfast area, and unprofessional staff who was eating the breakfast while suppose to be working! Overall worse hotel experience I have ever had!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank jax10_10
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I booked this hotel on hotels.com, and got a pretty good rate (about $70 after taxes). When I arrived at 11:30 am, my room wasn't ready. Check in is listed as being at 2:00pm, so that's no big deal (I do think it makes more sense to have the rooms that are reserved in advance cleaned first, though, but that's just my personal opinion). The girl at the front desk was very helpful and suggested a mall I could go to in the meantime, and gave me very clear directions on how to get there.
The walls are very thin, I found out (this seems to be a common theme with the hotels I stay at, managers really need to work on this). I could hear the people talking in the hallway, and the people....celebrating Valentine's Day...in the next room. Quite clearly. Which made me self conscious because I knew people in the hallway and next room could hear every move I made. A hotel room should be a haven where you have privacy, no one should be able to hear what you're doing in the bathroom (which is right next to the door to your room), or watching on tv or your phone conversation with a friend.
A few other complaints...they "upgraded" me to a jacuzzi suite, but told me that they were in the process of removing all of the jacuzzis from the hotel, so the water and electricity on it were turned off. So I was moved to a room with a non-functional jacuzzi, because they didn't have any standard king rooms available, even though I'd booked one.
Also, the hotel is currently under construction. There is no carpet in the lobby, it's all bare cement. Not very appealing. There are signs up saying that the construction will only be going on from 9am to 8 pm to ensure a comfortable night's sleep for the guests, however there was some sort of lift right outside my window with people working on it, well after 11 pm. If you are a light sleeper, I recommend calling before you book and asking them if this place is still under construction.
The king bed was pretty comfortable (not as comfortable as a five star's bed, but it was more comfortable than my bed at home) and though there were some rust stains in the bathroom, it was clean, as were the towels.
The continental breakfast was okay. It had make your own waffles, bagels, instant oatmeal packets, bread, juice, coffee and hard boiled eggs. Not as much as I expected for a Comfort Inn, but about what you'd expect for the price.
Overall, I do recommend it, and I feel I did get a good deal for the price. I felt safe there, the rooms really need some sound proofing, and they need to stick to their promised hours of construction.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Tamara M
South Dakota
Reviewed 24 November 2009

my family and i came to kansas city to watch a football game at arrowhead. we stayed at the quality inn and suites on macon street for three nights. on the first night, my son entered his room and noticed dried blood stained onto the sheets of his bed. not only that, but the shower curtain smelled like a wet towel in a gym locker room and the floor of the shower was brown as if somebody had spit chewing tobacco all over it. The second night, a group of individuals threw a party from around one in the morning until about six in the morning, keeping us up. the third night was rather peaceful, other than the sounds of garbage trucks at two in the morning right outside the paper thin walls of the hotel.
besides that, the hotels security is up to par...if you consider a single door on the side of the building without any key card requirement as safe. but hey, the location makes up for it. its located in a shady area of north Kansas city next to the interstate and an ancient dry wall factory that puts out some sort of fumes. i guess the best part of the hotel is the fleas that one of my sons recieved from sleeping in this [--]. thanks quality inn and suites!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank themotelguy
C.B., IA
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Save your money and look elsewhere. Stayed two nights, July 18th and 19th. In Kansas City to take grandchildren to Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun. After visiting Worlds of Fun on friday checked into the hotel around 8:00 p.m., booked three rooms that were suppose to be together, same floor but not together, not too much problem. But when my son went in his room he found an empty beer bottle on the floor and had no towels in the bathroom. We went to the front desk to report the problem and the young desk clerk only offered to bring towels to the room but wouldn't give him a different room saying the maid said she cleaned the room. When the kids and adults went to use the pool we were wondering why no one was using it, the water was so cold my youngest grandsons lips turned purple. They only stayed about 15 minutes and got out. On saturday after returning from a day long trip to Oceans of Fun our room had not been cleaned, again all we got was clean towels. The air conditioner in our room was barely working and didn't cool the room until late that night. (We were wondering why an air conditioner repairman was working on air conditioner units in the parking lot.) Again the pool was too cold to use for very long, good thing we had been to Oceans of Fun during the day. Not that it was their fault but both nights, friday night saturday morning at 3:15 a.m. the fire alarms went off, someone was smoking in a non-smoking room and triggered the alarm and on saturday night at 11:00 p.m. again, didn't hear what the problem was, but four fire trucks and two emergency vehicles showed up. Needless to say our stay was not very enjoyable and we definately will not go back, I urge you to stay elsewhere. Beds are listed as queens but are more the size of super twins.
Jim R

• Liked — Room price
  • Disliked — Room not cleaned before or during stay
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
#71 of 108 in Kansas City
Holiday Inn Express Liberty
Holiday Inn Express Liberty
#54 of 108 in Kansas City

Been to Holiday Inn Express North Kansas City? Share your experiences!