“Good Rate - Ok hotel”

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good Rate - Ok hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed two nights over the Labor Day weekend. Here are the pros and cons.

Pro
Check in was fast and easy
Employees were very helpful
Room was very clean
Parking garage (it was raining hard)
Great locale for KC events
Nice Pool

Con
- The parking lot was full, even though we had paid for it. This was discouraging to come back at 11 p.m. at night and discover a full parking garage. Valet said they overbooked, and that people were parking 2 cars per one room. Either way it was a mess.
- The mattresses are very firm
- The bathrooms are very small
- Hard to get an elevator (especially the parking garage ones)

Overall, with the great rate I got, I would stay there again (as long as I got the same rate via Hotwire). Hotel did offer valet parking for free because of the full lot. The valet said they were parking cars 4 blocks away! I do credit the staff for dealing with this problem, especially since the valets or the front desk did not create the problem. I would not pay the full price for this hotel. Not a bad choice, but not excellent either, it was ok.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank youthal
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Dear Youthal,

Thank you for your comments and recognizing all the "Pros" you experienced during your visit. I apologize for the parking garage filling up; I hope that didn't cause you too much inconvenience.

I know you have many choices when it comes to where you stay, please give us another opportunity to have you as our guest again the next time you visit Kansas City.

Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Fairfield, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stayed three nights during Labor Day weekend and it was a lackluster performance. We arrived and the staff were courteous, check in simple, and ability to get to the room was easy. Honestly however, it just continued downhill from that point forward. Also, we were given a welcome bag from the bride and groom by the hotel reception only to find that they charged them per bag for handing them out...the only 'hand' in the entire affair!

We were staying under a group rate for a wedding, so the bride/groom easily brought the hotel 30-40 rooms over the course of three nights, thus one would assume management would ensure them and their guests maximum comfort? Not a chance! First, the shuttle service availability was deplorable. We couldn't get them to take us across the street let alone set up anything in advance. As a result taxis were utilized and (this coming from someone who travels regularly to multiple locales in the world on a quarterly basis) were not at all familiar with anything outside of the "downtown" area (less the airport of course which is a $45+ cab ride minimum one way). We were nevertheless able to get them to take the group back and forth to one downtown area event only, and then amazingly they showed up at the end of one of the other events a day later. We queried management, who must not have any latitude to act or think independently, would not budge on availability, etc. The drivers; however, were great...when they took us anywhere. Interestingly enough, the shuttles did have plenty of time to take airline personnel to and from the airport on demand AND provide them w/a $47 per night room rate! That was over twice what our GROUP rate was for reference.

Next, the hotel boasts about their 'recent renovations'; however, this is not exactly the truth. For example, if you upgrade furniture and fixtures I do not consider this renovation but rather a spruce up of legacy, aging infrastructure. The room appeared nice enough, but the elevators, doors, bathrooms, hot water heaters, and HVAC (Heating and Air Systems) were at least 20 years old. Hot water in the shower after about five minutes, a wall/window-type AC, key cards that worked throughout the hotel about 50% of the time, and bathroom tile from 1988 were all it took for the actual 'renovation' (or lack thereof) to show its true colors. Bottom line, much more work for this property to be considered 'renovated' or updated.

Breakfast on the 26th floor was something of a high note per se (complimentary), but we had no idea if it weren't for another guest who stumbled upon it and told us! So, we went up twice for this small, continental-type breakfast and were never able to get the key cards to work (employee overseeing let us in both times and confirmed our room # each time and then of course became confused as to why it didn't work). Further, we did not take a car but did hear from at least three other guests who did park and could not get their key cards to enter or exit the lot (an employee actually had to man the gate at one point!).

In summary, I can think of at least two other properties in the downtown area with equal rates and astonishingly better accommodations (Mariott and Hilton). The hotel staff, writ large, were actually very pleasant. It was inevitably the inability of management to effectively run the hotel properly in my opinion. The bride's brother had his wedding at this hotel four years past and were pleased, but it's obvious things have changed for the worse.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nathan B
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear Nathan B,

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. Our shuttle service is on a first come first serve basis and any volume of requests would affect the availability of the shuttle. We are constantly making improvements to our hotel for the comfort of our guests. I'm glad you found the room to be nice enough.

I would welcome a conversation with you if you would like to give me a call sometime.

Belton, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

It was my husbands birthday and we decided to go to the Irish Fest at Crown Center. I booked the hotel on Hotwire so I got a very good rate. We checked into the hotel and an authorization was put on my debit card. I was okay with this because at the end of the stay my parking and my breakfast was taken out of the authorization (charges we would have paid anyway). The front desk staff was courteous and efficient. We had a drink at the City Bar in the hotel and the bartender was fantastic. She gave us information about the hotel and even secured us more coffee for our room as it is a one cup coffee maker and there are two of us. We had breakfast in the hotel restaraunt and it was great. The service was fantastic! We then took the shuttle to Crown Center to the Irish Fest. The shuttle driver was hilarious and dropped us right at the enterance. We called the hotel to have the shuttle pick us up and we were picked up in about fifteen minutes. We went to the pool to cool off and that pool was a bit chilly, but still okay. Overall it was a good stay. A note about the parking: When we checked in the self-parking was full and we were forced to valet. When our car was returned to us we had received a parking ticket from the hotel. I had to go back in and get that cleared up. There are several public lots around the hotel that may have been a bit cheaper so you need to decide whether you want to go with the hotel parking or not. The cost for self-parking is $13/night and valet is $18/night.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the city.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Maria B,

Thank you for the great comments about our front desk associates. I'm glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our lounge and found our bartender to be fantastic as well as breakfast the next morning. Sounds like our Shuttle drivers were able to entertain you all while getting you to and from the festival. I apologize about the parking situation and hope that it didn't delay your departure.

On behalf of the entire staff, we look forward to you staying with us again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I just stayed for 3 nights for a conference. When I showed up later in the PM the woman at front desk was far less than helpful. My room had been pre paid by the owner of my business. When I first told her this she bluntly said no, it has not been. After insisting to her it had been paid she looked around for few minutes and found that it had. After that she had no idea how to run my card for incedentals.

The pool was not very warm and several of the machines in the workout room were broken.

Our room was just above the parking garage and we frequntly heard thumping bass from a vehicle in the garage. There was also a very bright spotlight shining up onto the building that lit up our room like crazy. With the blinds closed it was tolerable, still far lighter than I would prefer. The bathroom is also very small as many others have mentioned (the towel rack is in the shower stall because so small) Overall for the $ of this room it was very average.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. Please accept my apologies for the issues you had a check in. I am looking into the other issues you mentioned and I am sorry if they caused you any inconvenience during your stay.

Please give us another opportunity to be more than "just Ok" the next time you visit downtown.

Cedar Park, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

The staff were friendly, professional and most of all made me feel at home while spending a week there on business. From the first encounter with a valet who let me into the parking garage to the front desk, restaurant and executive lounge, these folks were fantastic. I would not hesitate to return to Kansas City if I knew I could stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side (facing the front of the hotel) had a great view, particularly the upper floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Barry S,

Thank you for the great review!!! Your recognition of the entire team is very much appreciated. We strive for what you experienced every day and I'm so glad you had a week of great service.

I look forward to your next visit with us here in Kansas City.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

Located in Downtown Kansas City, MO, this grand hotel is just mind-blogging. Huge reception area, classy decor, ready-to-help associates are few of the salient features. If you pick up a room above the tenth floor, the view of the city is soothing..I was very impressed with their communication and transport arrangements.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Dear SachinT83,

Thank you for the Five Star review!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed our property. We have a lot to offer and I appreciate you recognizing it.

I look forward to having you back again the next time you visit Kansas City.

Lincoln
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed as guests at this hotel for 2 days/ nights, the staff was pleasant and accommodating. However, Mr. Johnson and Mr. Douglas your shuttle drivers, provided remarkable service they not only took our group to desired spots, but provided detailed history of the city and places to go while we were there. Because of their willingness to provide the ultimate customer service, the minor imperfections of the hotel were easily overlooked. (the smell in our room, & popcorn under the sofa) overall, the rooms were comfortable and suited our needs. But your shuttle drivers are awesome and the reason we will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Diana B,

Thank you for the great comments about our shuttle drivers. I'm glad they were able to be of service to you. I will share your comments with them. Sorry about the minor imperfections in your room.

The shuttle drivers along with the rest of us look forward to your next visit.