“The Crowne is a ROYAL DUMP!!!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Illinois
“The Crowne is a ROYAL DUMP!!!”
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I came to the Crowne Plaza without high expectations as it is three-star hotel, but I was still EXTREMELY disappointed. Had I made my reservations through the hotel rather than a third party, I would have immediately checked out. Upon arrival by car on a Tuesday afternoon, we waited for quite some time at the hotel entrance for someone to greet us (bellman, valet), and when no one arrived, I took all of our bags from the car and went in. The girl at the front desk informed me that they only had self-parking (no problem), and she didn't know where the bellman was, but we could take the parking garage elevator directly to our floor. SOOOO, I went back to the car, reloaded our luggage, came back to the front desk and checked in, and then self-parked for what she told me was a $7/day rate, but it was actually $13. Parking spaces near the elevators were scarce, and the hotel really should have someone available to assist with luggage. My first impression of the hotel floor was "HOW FILTHY!"...banged up walls, peeling wallpaper, dingy lighting and disgustingly dirty carpet. My daughter and I went to "our room," and opened the door to find an opened suitcase on the luggage rack! Someone from the front desk brought us keys to the correct room, and I offered to give her the keys I had to the other guests' room! Unbelievable. Our room was in slightly better condition than the halls, but our toilet was obviously not cleaned after the previous guest checked out. Ugh!

Overall: no valet parking, no bell service to be found, polite but incompetent front desk staff, no concierge, horrible breakfast in the restaurant, filthy and in desperate need of renovation, not for the traveler who values their personal safety/security.

• Liked — Room service was friendly
  • Disliked — security, cleanliness, bell service, front desk staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
IL
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Our group had six rooms. One was small. Three were suites. The suites are definitely the best. The suites have two rooms, microwave, refrigerator, table and chairs. The regular rooms do not have microwaves or refrigerators. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They are the main reason for my good review. There is no free breakfast. The breakfast buffet was pricey, but good. Don't order off the menu at breakfast, though. You'll have to wait to be served. Our server was freindly, but overworked since she also had to deliver room service. We stayed here because of its location. Since breakfast, microwave and refrigerator, are now standard in many hotels, I cannot say that this hotel was a bargain for the price. Yet, everything was clean, and overall we had a good stay.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — No free breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Iowa
Reviewed 7 July 2008

My family and I came down to Kansas City to attend a family reunion. Our check-in to the hotel was prompt and courteous but I believe that was where the good things stopped. When we arrived in our hotel the first thing I thought was that this room is small. We had a double bed room and the room was so small that during out six day stay the three of us were crawling on the beds to get around each other. Also, our carpet by the window was soaked and didn't completely dry for two days. Things wsere fine until the day before we left. On day five we called down to the restaurant (called Bistro 1301) to order breakfast. We were rudely told that the restaurant wouldn't be open for the rest of the day. That was fine and we thanked them. About two hours later we went down to get directions to a restaurant and the manager on call said "Well our restaurant is open now". We thanked them again for the information and decided to eat there for dinner. Went out for the day, came back for dinner and again were told the restaurant was closed. All of this would have been fine but the fact is there are no restaurants available within walking distance (besides Marriott's Lilly's) after 3pm. Also the hotel had ran out of clean washcloths. NOT SATISFIED! If I could advice anyone it would be to stay at the Marriott right next door and not give this hotel another look.

• Liked — The max (public transportation to The Plaza, Crowne Center and Riverfront) was right across the street.
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Paper thin walls, lumpy pillows, stiff sheets, abrasive towels. That just about describes our stay at this hotel. The only thing that was good about our stay was the very friendly and accommodating staff. For a hotel of this class, I expected much more. Given the choices in the area, this is definitely on the bottom of my list. I only wish I checked with tripadvisor before booking this hotel.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Paper Thin Walls
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Humboldt, CA
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I stayed in this hotel because I was attending a function at the convention center. It was very convenient for that purpose. There is a bus that stops just outside the hotel (the MAX bus) that makes it very convenient for seeing the city. The hotel is okay, but needs some updating and renovations. The room did show signs of wear throughout - a torn lamp, some scuff marks on the wall, and a mark on the bedding - nothing major, but altogether it made it feel a little worn. The room was small, but the bed was comfortable. The hotel seemed to use some kind of highly scented cleaning product in the room, which I found to be unpleasantly strong. No problems with hotel staff, and when I had a problem (towels left in a pile on the bathroom floor after cleaning) it was resolved promptly.

• Liked — Close to convention center
  • Disliked — Needs a renovation
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 June 2008

The rooms need a major overhaul - dirty carpet, dirty furniture, peeling wallpaper, bathtub with dirty non-slip stickers on the base of the tub...just gave me the eeby-jeebies. For $119 per night in KC, I felt robbed. I wouldn't take my flip-flops off in the room.

The only good thing about this hotel is its location to the Convention Center and the new Power & Light District and Sprint Center. If you want to be walking distance to either of these venues, and don't care about having a nice room, or you find a way to spend only $50 per night on a room at the Crowne, then do it. Otherwise I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We decided to go to Kansas City last minute for Memorial Weekend. We booked this hotel on Hotwire for $69/night plus taxes.

Location: The hotel is downtown, adjacent from the Convention Center. There are restaurants within walking distance. It is about a mile from Union Station/Crown Center. About 5 miles from Westport/Country Club Plaza.

Rooms: Rooms were fine. Beds were comfortable. There was no mini-fridge but there was a coffee maker in room. The bathroom was a little small. There is a pool on the 7th floor but we did not use it so can't comment.

Parking: There is also a $13 per day parking charge that allows for in/out access. The parking garage elevators were not always working but it wasn't a big deal to walk down/up a few flights.

The only complaint I had is that I went on a 1/2 hour search for a bottle of water. Vending machines are on random floors - some had food vending, others had soda. I walked around forever trying to find a machine that had water. I finally gave up.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Parking garage elevators
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family