“Comfortable Stay”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 12 October 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the Crowne Plaza's location to the convention center is a big plus. Our room on the 18th floor overlooked construction, but the room was extremely clean albeit a tad on the small size. Bathroom was small, but adequate. Bed linens and towels were of a high quality with the daily servicing of the room being excellent. There was only one night that we needed heat/air and the noise of the room unit was noticeable. Light sleepers might have a difficult time with this. The daily charge of $15 self-parking was probably reasonable for the city with unlimited in/out being a plus.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear ShowMe,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City and sharing your comments.

We strive to give a great impression and all of our guests and it makes me happy to read that we exceeded your expectations with the daily housekeeping service. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I was really disappointed in this hotel for the lofty price they charge. The location IS awesome - which was a huge plus. However, the rooms are tiny tiny tiny............and the bathroom is even smaller!!! The AC unit was kicking off and on throughout the night and it was quite loud - and I'm NOT a light sleeper. Truly, I was anticipating a much nicer, spacious room with top of the line accommodations - not the case. I've stayed in Hamptons, Hiltons, and Embassy Suites that were far above this facility. The staff was very helpful and again, the location was perfect - just disappointed in the hotel itself, especially for the amount they charge.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colette G
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Colette G,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and our associates were helpful during your stay. I am sorry you we disappointed with your room. We have several room types at our hotel, perhaps you should reserve one of our suites on your next visit to Kansas City.

Thank you!

Jim Wynn, GM

Reviewed 5 October 2013

stayed here for 4 nights for a recent convention. had a great view of the city, staff was friendly, taxi rank just outside. Only a block walk to the convention center and two blocks from power station downtown area. Breakfast buffet was not included and a tad pricey for what it was but fine. starbucks in lobby

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear gborotraveler,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City. We appreciate the opportunity to host your convention group and can't wait to have you back next year. Being so near the Kansas City Convention Center and the Power and Light District are highlights for many of our guests. I am pleased you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed the Starbucks in the lobby.

The next time you travel to Kansas City, we hope that you will be our guest again!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Hotel was nice and fairly easy to get to. Construction in the area made it a bit tricky to get up certain streets, but that happens everywhere. So nice to be able to walk to just about anywhere you might want to see or visit. Shuttle will take you up to 2 miles from the hotel which was nice. Driver led up to believe that if they weren't busy, they could go out a bit further, but he was mistaken. Room was decent. As a request I made at reservations, I asked to be away from the elevator and have a small ice box for medications. Upon check in they replied I had asked for a high floor and away from the elevator and I told her she was close. Expressed to her the request for a small fridge for medications and to be away from the elevator. Didn't register at all. That is why I always take an ice chest with me.
Parking, in my opinion was a bit pricey. $15.00 to self park. But, when you have no other parking options, they kinda have you over a barrel. Jessica, in the bar, was probably the most helpful as far as information on some of the different areas and attractions one could visit. Even gave us a detailed map and was very nice and very friendly. She even took time to help me locate an urgent care facility after I became ill. Desk staff seemed a bit more focused on the job and not the people. Bathroom was so small that you couldn't sit on the toilet and close the door. My half bath at home was bigger than this one. And the folks above us had a leak every time they flushed, and the ceiling was getting softer and softer. Lucky is was still in tact when we left. Houskeeping was very nice. Breakfast buffet was mediocre at best and for the price, they could have bumped it up a notch. Staff there was nice. That was our only visit to the restaurant. Any other food we ate, was in the form of appetizers at the bar. 1/2 price from 4-6.
All in all, not bad, but it could really use some sprucing up and some upgrades so it is not so outdated looking in many areas.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dougieswife14

Dear Dougieswife14,

First of all, I hope you are doing well after falling ill during your stay. I am happy our staff was able to assist you with locating an Urgent Care facility nearby.

I apologize we were not able to accommodate your request for a small refrigerator or that you are not satisfied with our parking fee. Being one of the only downtown hotels with on-site parking we are very comparable to other locations nearby.

I do appreciate your feedback and we take all reviews positive and negative very seriously. This will help us improve for your next visit.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Hotel needs a freshening up for the rooms but the location is excellent, literally 3 blocks to the Power and Light district which is 8 blocks of party, party, party......staff is really helpful and super nice...there is bus service to the airport and excellent views of this attractive city on the higher floors....the Starbucks in the main lobby is a plus and there is 4 floors of parking within the hotel - great location for KC....I'm sure the rooms will be remodeled which will make this a perfect place.....but for right now anyone wanting to go to KC and be central and have great rates this is the place....finally there is a rooftop pool and gym on 7th floor

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up as you get a great view of the architecture which is really interesting in K...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PDI2001
Ashley B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear PDI2001 ,

Thank you for the detailed review of our Hotel. I appreciate your kind words about the staff and their efforts to please &/or assist our guests. The Starbucks certainly is a big plus for those of us that need our caffeine fix each morning and the views are spectacular.

Thanks again for staying with us and I hope you will choose us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Honestly one of the nicest hotels I've EVER stayed at. We got a special deal on it after calling them up and telling them about how we got stuck with a dump hotel and if they could help us out. They offered us a deal cheaper than the normal rate which was a life saver! The hotel is all modern, beautiful rooms, and clean - I could have happily lived there permanently. No joke. It was quiet even though the hotel was packed, in the middle of downtown Kansas City - My one and only complaint was that they didn't check for IDs when I asked for a key to my coworkers room. We were also there during daylight savings and they had an unfortunate issue with their wake up service being delayed causing many not to be woke up on time & some missing their flights. However they compensated for their mistake with a free night + free breakfast which was great!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cyanyde C

Dear Cyanyde C,

Wow, what a great review! Thank you for the 5-star review and I will definitely share your comments with our team as it will definitely make their day! Thank you for staying with us and I hope we would be your hotel of choice the next time your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Thanks You!

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying that the best part of this hotel by far, is the location. I chose this hotel because I was going to the Sprint Center and it was within quick walking distance. Lots of great places to eat and drink just blocks away. There is also a great grocery store just around the corner.
Now let me start with the not so great part, the hotel. You are absolutely paying for the location here because their is nothing high dollar about this hotel. My room was small and the bathroom was the size of a broom closet. There was a giant water stain on the ceiling. The beds and linens were fine. Something was wrong with the AC in my room. It was a 90 degree day and my room would not cool down.
This is an old hotel that needs lots of refurbishing, but if you are going to the Sprint Center or P&L it is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
Ashley B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear cabo1130,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our locations so much. The proximity to the Power and Light District and the Sprint Center is really great. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the rest of your stay so well. Hearing from our guests is the best way to help us improve; I have passed your comments on to the rest of the team.

We hope that the next time you are in Kansas City you will visit us again and tell us what you think.

Thank you!