“Not upscale by any means”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Only stay here if you get a great price through priceline- otherwise not worth the price for an "upscale" hotel. The lobby is misleading-- it is nice and makes you think the rooms are very nice. While the rooms are not terrible, I wouldn't call them upscale as this hotel is classified as.

Parking is $13 a night which is crazy- down the street you can park for $5. The restaurant food is decent, but overpriced. Also prepare to wait in line for a while, especially for breakfast.

The good things are the internet is free, and it is in a good location if you want to go out to some bars at night. Go through priceline for a good rate- note worth the $100+ they charge straight from the hotel web site.

Reviewed 1 August 2008

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri July 11 - July 15, 2008 for a conference. The experience was unlike any I've ever experienced before...in any hotel. We were given a King suite...(the hotel used to be a Radisson)..the carpets were very dirty and thread bare. The lounge furniture in the living room portion was sticky and very dirty, highly stained. The bedroom had a king bed about 12 inches from the air conditioner, which when it was on, blew directly onto the occupants of the bed. We needed to find an outlet for a c-pep machine and pulled out the night stand...which I wish we wouldn't have done. Unbelieveable amount of dirt. Later in our stay we learned from some of our friends that were also staying at the Crowne Plaza that they had the Sleep Number Bed, when we returned to the room, we had to pull out the mattress and dig the control out of the back of the bed w/all of the dirt, then find another plug to get it to work. The entire room was filthy, baseboards loaded with dust/dirt..even in the hallways. The bathroom was small with no counter space for toiletries. The walk-in closet had no light. The TV got about 8 channels. Our bed was made daily and fresh towels. We never received clean glasses. Two glasses had melted ice/pop in them and the next day housekeeping simply put on new paper lids. I called the front desk to ask for clean glasses. We waited, went to dinner and when we returned, there was one glass with a paper lid on it, sitting on the floor of the hallway in front of our door. This is one hotel that if you are going to be staying in, you better take your house slippers. The restaurant was small and could not accommodate the # of guests staying there, each morning we had to stand in line for breakfast. They were very understaffed, the staff they had were very pleasant, but couldn't take care of the volume of people wanting breakfast. Many people that were standing in line left and some that were fortunate enough to get seated left because they could not get waited on. The cold breakfast buffet was very lacking, if you didn't get there early, the food was gone and not replenished.

Not a good experience that I would wish on anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I came to the Crowne Plaza without high expectations as it is three-star hotel, but I was still EXTREMELY disappointed. Had I made my reservations through the hotel rather than a third party, I would have immediately checked out. Upon arrival by car on a Tuesday afternoon, we waited for quite some time at the hotel entrance for someone to greet us (bellman, valet), and when no one arrived, I took all of our bags from the car and went in. The girl at the front desk informed me that they only had self-parking (no problem), and she didn't know where the bellman was, but we could take the parking garage elevator directly to our floor. SOOOO, I went back to the car, reloaded our luggage, came back to the front desk and checked in, and then self-parked for what she told me was a $7/day rate, but it was actually $13. Parking spaces near the elevators were scarce, and the hotel really should have someone available to assist with luggage. My first impression of the hotel floor was "HOW FILTHY!"...banged up walls, peeling wallpaper, dingy lighting and disgustingly dirty carpet. My daughter and I went to "our room," and opened the door to find an opened suitcase on the luggage rack! Someone from the front desk brought us keys to the correct room, and I offered to give her the keys I had to the other guests' room! Unbelievable. Our room was in slightly better condition than the halls, but our toilet was obviously not cleaned after the previous guest checked out. Ugh!

Overall: no valet parking, no bell service to be found, polite but incompetent front desk staff, no concierge, horrible breakfast in the restaurant, filthy and in desperate need of renovation, not for the traveler who values their personal safety/security.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Our group had six rooms. One was small. Three were suites. The suites are definitely the best. The suites have two rooms, microwave, refrigerator, table and chairs. The regular rooms do not have microwaves or refrigerators. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They are the main reason for my good review. There is no free breakfast. The breakfast buffet was pricey, but good. Don't order off the menu at breakfast, though. You'll have to wait to be served. Our server was freindly, but overworked since she also had to deliver room service. We stayed here because of its location. Since breakfast, microwave and refrigerator, are now standard in many hotels, I cannot say that this hotel was a bargain for the price. Yet, everything was clean, and overall we had a good stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2008

My family and I came down to Kansas City to attend a family reunion. Our check-in to the hotel was prompt and courteous but I believe that was where the good things stopped. When we arrived in our hotel the first thing I thought was that this room is small. We had a double bed room and the room was so small that during out six day stay the three of us were crawling on the beds to get around each other. Also, our carpet by the window was soaked and didn't completely dry for two days. Things wsere fine until the day before we left. On day five we called down to the restaurant (called Bistro 1301) to order breakfast. We were rudely told that the restaurant wouldn't be open for the rest of the day. That was fine and we thanked them. About two hours later we went down to get directions to a restaurant and the manager on call said "Well our restaurant is open now". We thanked them again for the information and decided to eat there for dinner. Went out for the day, came back for dinner and again were told the restaurant was closed. All of this would have been fine but the fact is there are no restaurants available within walking distance (besides Marriott's Lilly's) after 3pm. Also the hotel had ran out of clean washcloths. NOT SATISFIED! If I could advice anyone it would be to stay at the Marriott right next door and not give this hotel another look.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Paper thin walls, lumpy pillows, stiff sheets, abrasive towels. That just about describes our stay at this hotel. The only thing that was good about our stay was the very friendly and accommodating staff. For a hotel of this class, I expected much more. Given the choices in the area, this is definitely on the bottom of my list. I only wish I checked with tripadvisor before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I stayed in this hotel because I was attending a function at the convention center. It was very convenient for that purpose. There is a bus that stops just outside the hotel (the MAX bus) that makes it very convenient for seeing the city. The hotel is okay, but needs some updating and renovations. The room did show signs of wear throughout - a torn lamp, some scuff marks on the wall, and a mark on the bedding - nothing major, but altogether it made it feel a little worn. The room was small, but the bed was comfortable. The hotel seemed to use some kind of highly scented cleaning product in the room, which I found to be unpleasantly strong. No problems with hotel staff, and when I had a problem (towels left in a pile on the bathroom floor after cleaning) it was resolved promptly.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business