“Big 12 Basketball Tournament Fun!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Crowne Plaza is in the perfect location for the Big 12 Basketball Tournament, and we are very pleased with our stay at the this hotel. It is within walking distance of the Sprint Center as well as a great supermarket right down the street. The hosts at the front desk were very helpful from the minute we arrived. There is a Starbucks in the front lobby, which is wonderful! The rooms are clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are quite small....difficult to have two people standing in there at the same time....while I appreciate and understand their desire to go green, the bathroom lights take too long to "warm up" and get bright enough to actually see yourself in the mirror. Only one bulb worked....left a note to get it replaced, and it was on the last day that we were there. I accidentally left a coat in the closet when we left and I called the housekeeping department about it as soon as we arrived back home. Sandy was wonderful! She found it and sent it back to me! There were even some glitches in the sending of the coat, but she was so helpful in tracking it down and she even called to make sure that it arrived. When we come back to the Big 12 tourney next year, we will be back to Crowne Center for sure. Lots of Iowa State fans there as well!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank love2travelalot216
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear love2travelalot216,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found your guestroom to your liking and got to experience our friendly Midwestern hospitality!

We look forward to serving your travel needs at the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown next year when you come back for the Big XII Tournament.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown

Reviewed 16 March 2014

In the power & light district, this is pretty well located and I was very pleased with both the service and the accommodations. It was a bit unsettling that the parking garage elevator goes directly to the floor from outside (i.e. not first to the hotel lobby for better security) but with that exception, everything else was fine, including room service and dining. I was there for two nights on an unplanned stopover during a longer trip and it was my first time in a Crown Plaza.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear NYCAngels,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. We are happy you enjoyed our hotel and great location! I apologize for your concerns regarding the garage elevators. While I understand it is unsettling, I assure you it has been addressed.

Hope to see you return again soon. Safe Travels!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

The hotel is comfortable and clean and convenient to the Power and Light district where there are many shopping and dining choices. Also not far from the more "local" restaurants and shops to the south of the area. There is on-site parking with elevators directly to the upper floors, which is very nice. Valet parking is also available.

The staff was accommodating and friendly and helpful in finding dining options. The restaurant and bar in the hotel are typically average. The portions are very generous. There is also a Starbucks right off the lobby. Breakfast is not included.

The hotel wi-fi had a strong signal in the 19th floor where I was staying. The room was clean and had a nice view. It was quiet except for the standard in-room heater, which had a loud fan. There was a single-serving coffee maker in the room but no refrigerator.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms on the upper floors look out to the west over Kansas, even-numbered rooms have mo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear thatdingo,

Thank you for the detailed review of the Crowne Plaza – Kansas City Downtown. I am glad that you found the location to your liking; I hope you were able to explore some of the area. Thanks again for staying with us and I hope you will choose us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My fiancee and I recently attended a concert at the Sprint Center and stayed at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown hotel . We have stayed there a few times before, but our most recent stay was the best. First, I really appreciate the onsite parking garage they offer. It costs $15 a night, but you can come and go as you please, very convenient. The front desk staff was very courteous and efficient. They were really busy, but it only took a few short minutes for me to check in. I really appreciate how this hotel goes the extra mile for Priority Club members. We received a room upgrade to an executive suite, which my fiancee loved. Additionally, we were able to access the executive lounge for complimentary snacks and drinks before the concert. The lounge was very crowded but the staff and management made sure everybody was taken care of and the room stayed clean. Our room and bed was very comfortable and quiet, we slept well. The breakfast served in the executive lounge was very enjoyable. This hotel is a short walking distance to the Sprint Center and Power and Light bars, restaurants, attractions, etc. We look forward to staying here in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed on 26th floor and it was very quiet on that level.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jybarra75
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear jybarra75,

What can we say but, "thank you so much". We truly appreciate all the effort and details you put into your review! It is always such a pleasure to share this type of input with all of our associates, who work so hard to make it all happen. Please plan on returning and seeing us again soon....

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We came into town for a pageant that my cousin was in. We rented a suite on the 23rd floor for the special occasion. We first arrived early and had no issues checking in early.
My first great experience with the staff was our first night. My cousin had practice till late and the restaurant we wanted to eat at was not what it looked online so we ended up walking and walking to find a place that wasn't a bar. I ended up calling the Front Desk from a block away looking for anything open and not a bar. The gentleman named Brent I believe answered and gave us directions to a Japanese steak house. Which was wonderful. I was so pleased he was able to help us and to help us even though we weren't on property.

My next experience was the next morning. Getting into the elevator we found our self in the elevator with the general manager who let me brag and brag about the staff from last night

The next experience was just AMAZING. We arrived back to the hotel from the final pageant and had won a large bag of stuffed animals. These were to be given to a charity, but we didn't have the room in the car for them. So we asked this gentlemen in the lobby if he would take them and he said YES and would even send us pictures of when he dropped them off.

Our last experience was just amazing! The winter storm was starting to hit and we had a 3 hour drive home so we checked out at 9:45 pm the employees at the front desk were so helpful and nice. They were so understanding on why we had to leave. We really appreciated them being so wonderful in such a stressful time.

I am usually such a picky person at hotels since I manage one back home, but the staff was so wonderful that I couldn't imagine complaining about any small things.

Thank You to all of the staff members of the hotel. You made a great experience for us and my little cousin. If we are ever back in the area we will for sure stay with you!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear rbacklin,

What can I say but, "thank you so much". I truly appreciate all the effort and details you put into your review! It is always such a pleasure to share this type of feedback with all of our associates, who work so hard to make it all happen. Everyone who works here really goes above and beyond to make each guest experience a memorable one.

Please plan on returning and seeing us again soon....

Regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in February while I did some sightseeing in the area and have only positive memories of my stay at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. The location is perfect for local buses that take you to all the major activity centers; the rooms are large and comfortable and the staff are very helpful and friendly. My one complaint would be that the restaurant down in the lobby never seemed to be open for dinner despite the staff at the front desk and the hotel directory in my room saying it was indeed open. The breakfast was tasty, filling and affordable. Wifi service was faultless.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear geographyguy_11,

Thank you for the review of our Hotel. I appreciate your kind words about the staff and their friendliness and helpfulness. I have shared your comments about our restaurants hours with our food & beverage team.

I am glad that you found the location to your liking and were able to explore the area. Thanks again for staying with us and I hope you will choose us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City!

Regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The rooms are impeccable, comfy, and laid out well. We stayed four nights and the only issue we had were resolved and followed up with by management.

The breakfast in the hotel is top notch.

The area around the hotel is top notch. There are dozens of restaurants/bars with in a five minute easy walk.The Flying Saucer, The burger Bar, and Manny's are three

If you are looking for a nice place to stay in the downtown Kansas City area you should try out the Crown Plaza - you will not be disappointed.

There is plenty of parking.

Room Tip: A room facing Bartle Hall on a high floor is quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear lakelizrd,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review of the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown. We think "top-notch" is the way to describe our entire hotel, not only the breakfast and local area!

I am happy to hear that your issue was resolved and management did follow up with you.

Thanks again, we look forward to your next visit when you are in the Kansas City area.