“Excellent service”

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Rockford, Illinois
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was here for a business meeting and found everything good. Close to the theaters and the Power and Light is fairly close. They won me over when I realized a full day after leaving that I had left my I Pad in a conference room. They were very helpful and had it at the front desk. Good folks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Jeff K,

Thank you for your thoughts about your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown.
I am so pleased you were able to get your iPad back. We hope the next time you are traveling to KC, we will be your hotel of choice.

Regards,

Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Barnesville, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Expected a beautiful, large reception area for the price and area, but it was nothing like the Marriott just a block away. No fridge or microwave in room unless you pay $15.00 extra a piece. No coffee available in lobby, no continental breakfast and no food available after midnight. Only 2 elevators for parking garage and they were the slowest in history! Ended up using the stairs as did many others. The garage charged $15.00 a night even when it is full and you left after paying hoping to return and park there! The garage only has six floors which are located directly under the towering 28 story hotel which is centered on top of the garage. The hotel sways. The garage has no turn around when you reach the end!! In a full garage that makes it almost impossible to turn around with a large vehicle. Because of a rainstorm one floor of the garage was fairly well flooded which meant if you parked there you would definitely get wet feet and ankles. The hall on our floor was darker than necessary with a light blinking constantly like it was going out. The valets were very friendly and would park cars elsewhere if the garage was full, but you wouldn't know that unless you asked. The front desk check in was okay, but the guy kept repeating his welcome question as if he really wasn't listening to me or concerned because there was a large party also coming in and I wasn't that important.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Walls are thin.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank duckye
KCCPGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Duckye:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown with the TripAdvisor community. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel. It is our mission to ensure that every guest who stays with us leaves with a positive opinion of our hotel and our City. I am disappointed that we were not made aware of your concerns prior to your departure so that we could have addressed them and done something to make it up to you.

I certainly hope that you will give us another try should your travels bring you back to the KC area. We are dedicated to guest service and guest satisfaction. On rare occasions, things do happen that are beyond our control, but we always go above and beyond in trying to rectify each and every situation. I can assure you that we utilize every bit of feedback to help improve our service, and we will use your feedback to make changes that will better serve our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share.

Regards,

Michael Cooney
Topeka
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Upon arriving at this hotel noticed that the staff was the very friendly and the hotel looked very clean. Went to the power and light district which was very fun. Woke up the next morning and noticed bites all over my body. My husband immediately thought of bed bugs. He went back up to the room after breakfast with hotel management and after checking the beds he seen bed bugs! Management only wanted to give us half of our money back for the hotel but we demanded the whole refund.Called and spoke manager of the hotel and he did not even seem very empathetic at all. I was shocked to find out that this very same room had bed bugs a short time before us staying there. Hotel employee told us that they changed everything out except for the carpet. I will never stay here again just for the fact of how they made us feel like it wasn't that big of a deal. They didn't give us money to replace our luggage or have our laundry cleaned. You have to be very careful to not bring them back to your home. I just hope they took extra precaution to change out everything in this room so that this doesn't happen to anyone else. I am also very careful to check beds very careful the next time i stay in any hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jill A
KCCPGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Jill A:

Thank you for taking your time to share feedback on your stay with the TripAdvisor community. I'd like to apologize for the way you were treated during your stay, especially after bringing your problem to the attention of my staff. Our people are trained to act immediately upon any report of bed bug activity, part of that training is to do whatever it takes to ensure that our guests feel comfortable returning to their home worry free. In this case my team dropped the ball; however, thanks to your review, I now have another training tool to utilize so that they understand how their response in this situation impacts our guests.

I did not have the opportunity to speak with you regarding this issue, but please feel free to contact me at the hotel so that I can reimburse you for any cleaning costs for your clothes or luggage.

Unfortunately, due to our government's ban on effective pesticides for the eradication of bed bugs, these pests are not going away. As a hotel operator, I understand that it is inevitable that we are going to have to deal with these pests. The way we deal with them needs to be quick and efficient so that they are destroyed before they can mature and spread; and, so that our guests are not inconvenienced more than necessary when they encounter them. This is why we have such a rigorous and costly protocol in place. Part of that protocol addresses guest recovery and satisfaction, which is where we failed you. For that I offer you a sincere apology on behalf of myself and my team.

Please know that we do take this type of situation very seriously. We, like every hotel in this Country, know that we will encounter bed bugs in the normal course of operations. It's how we react to this, and how we treat our guests that's important.

Please contact me to discuss your situation further, and please accept my apology for this incident.

Michael Cooney
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while on business in Kansas City. I was very surprised at how convenient the parking was and the location of the hotel in conjunction with the convention center. The rooms are large and spacious. The only downside was the shower. The water didn't drain very well from the tub, so you end up standing in about 4 inches of water. Other then that, I would recommend staying here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear djdrake12,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you found our location to your liking and convenient. We are located just blocks from the KC Power and Light District, across the street from the convention center and within a few short miles or less of several of Kansas City's best attractions. I am sorry to hear you had a slow tub drain; I have passed your comments on to our maintenance team. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I decided to switch to this property during my time in KC. Upon arriving to the hotel I was greeted by the friendly Valet Attendant. Gwen at the front desk went above and beyond to make sure that my stay at this property was going to be great. She kept telling me that if I needed anything at all to let her know.
This is A+ service! I appreciated the friendly, attentive, and caring staff that this property has. If I'm ever back in the area - I will be definitely stay here again.
Great location. Outstanding rooms. Great views. Great Staff. Exceptional Service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Matthew D,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown. We are happy you enjoyed our hotel and exceptional service

! Hope to see you return again soon. Safe Travels!

Toronto
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Chose this hotel based on corporate rate through work. Very convenient location within walking distance to several sites -- Power & Light district, convention centre, among others. Overall Kansas City's downtown is surprisingly walkable. The hotel parking was convenient -- and only needed the car to drive to Kauffman Stadium to see a Royals game. The location contributed heavily to this 'very good' rating.

The hotel felt a bit dated through common areas. The room was clean and functional. The hotel showed its age with a thin hotel room door where you could hear noise from the hallway. From the 19th floor the hotel window insulated most of the street noise, save for the occasional bus. Neither interrupted one's sleep.

The breakfast buffet was affordable -- pleasantly surprised that it included the juice that I ordered with the meal. The selection was just "good"..... and was very good value considering the price.

Overall this is a very good place to stay for those looking to spend time enjoying the sights in Kansas City.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank toronto_subway_rider
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear toronto_subway_rider,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us, and your experience in The City Grille as well. Thank you for your valued input and your patronage, we hope to see you again soon!

Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I love the convenience - the parking garage is easy to get into and out of, and you can take the elevator from the garage to your room. The hotel is 1 block from the KC convention center and just a 3 or 4 minute walk from the Power and Light District which has a bunch of bars and restaurants. It seems like the hotel is also very close to a lot of highways so it's easy to get into and out of downtown. They also have a pretty good Starbucks in the lobby.

The bed was pretty comfortable but didn't blow me away. We did have a nice view. The shower was strong but the tub was slow to drain, and the bathroom was a little small.

Nothing wrong with it but I might look around for other hotels in this area just to see what else is out there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear jfranco77,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you find our location to your liking. It is very convenient and close to several of the areas major attractions.

I am sorry to hear about your slow tub drain, I have informed our maintenance department of your comment for future guests.

Thanks again for staying with us.