“Average and costly”

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Lindsborg, Kansas
“Average and costly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is one of my more difficult reviews to write. Nothing was really awful nor outstanding about this hotel. We are a working class family and we work hard so that we can take little trips when we can. My usual hotel expenditure is never more than $100 a night and thanks to TripAdvisor and my Kansas Farm Bureau Discount or AAA Discount, I have been able to stick to that budget. We were lucky enough to get tickets to Paul McCartney at the Sprint Center. I thought that it would be a wonderful change to stay downtown and walk to and from the concert. I used AAA and got a King suite at this hotel for $218 plus lots of taxes. We arrived, parked in the garage and used parking elevator to get to lobby to check in. There was a convention of home jewelry selling ladies downtown as well as the Paul McCartney contingent, so there were about four people in line in front of me to check in. Check in was smooth. Young lady seemed nice but offered NO directions to room, NO local information, NO parking information, NO hotel amenity information. Just took my credit card and ID, gave me my room key and that was it. A slew of elevators made sure there was never a long wait to use them. Our room on the 12th floor was clean and very roomy. View was pretty cool until, as we were gawking at the tall buildings, we noticed suspicious activity in a car lot below our room. Man exits his car and relieves himself right in front of our eyes. Whee!
Bed was comfortable. Bedding was something you would expect for a hotel half the price of this one. We stayed at a new $79 a night Sleep Inn in Texas earlier in July and enjoyed soft duvets and premium bedding. This was just meh--kind of crochet style white cheap bedspread. We used the pull out couch and the bedding was crammed into a plastic sack in the closet. Bedspread had brown stains...
We returned late to the hotel after the concert. I will say right now that the lovely "official" photo of this hotel is like a glamour shot. Cut out a lot of the shine, lights and glitz to reveal the real deal. We cut through several courtyard type well lit areas coming back to hotel that night. As we came through the last courtyard, we could either turn left and go down a little alley then make a right @ 14th (I think) and then right onto Wyandotte and hotel would be on right. Or we could come up the well lit drive/alley right next to the hotel, directly below that lit up Crowne Plaza light on the building, pass the parking garage and hit the corner of the building, make a right and there would be the front door. Stupidly, even though I should know better because I'm originally from a large city, I chose the shorter option of cutting up the alley past the parking garage. Of course a very large, tall man approached us. "Folks, I have to ask you a question...Now I'm a good guy, I'm a good guy..." I looked him in the eye and said, "We're just going to keep on walking, thanks." Another ten feet or so and we were at the corner of the hotel, made that right turn and the front doors were right in front of us. I am not going to ding the hotel on this bad choice that I made, but I am going to say that I saw no security hanging around and this was pretty late at night after an event at the Sprint Center. The next morning we were out and about in the hotel common areas several times as we loaded our car, got breakfast at Starbucks and just explored a little. As we exited the elevator to the lobby, a staff member cheerfully said, "Good morning!" My husband replied, "Good morning, how are you?" to which there was no reply. Evidently only a good morning greeting is required, beyond that don't expect much. I saw staff in name badges each time we were milling around and never once did anyone really greet us or ask us about our stay. Comparing again to the $79 Sleep Inn where every time we came or went (a lot) we were smiled at, asked how we were, offered advice on tourist attractions... I felt like this was a very impersonal stay. Some people like impersonal and that's great--but when I spend over twice my nightly hotel budget--I would like to feel like I got a little bang for my buck. I read other reviews of this hotel and when people complained, the manager seems to have a habit of replying with "you should have let me know before you left." To this I say, "Let WHO know?" I have no idea what you looked like or who you were. Our exit papers shoved under our room door said we could just leave our keys in our room and we would be magically checked out. And really, what would I have said had I gone to the front desk to complain. "I feel neglected and like one of a great herd?" How silly would that have been? Although I absolutely should have come right to the front desk that night after the guy approached us in the alley. That was my bad, but I was pretty freaked out.
Sorry this has been so long winded. My bottom line: I would probably try one of the other downtown hotels if Paul McCartney came back to KC and I was lucky enough to get tickets, :).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pixiekansas
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear pixiekansas,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, and I will be sharing your feedback with our team. I am disappointed that we were not made aware of your concerns prior to your departure so that we could have addressed them and done something to make it up to you.

I certainly hope that you will give us another try should your travels bring you back to the KC area. We are dedicated to guest service and guest satisfaction. On rare occasions, things do happen that are beyond our control, but we always go above and beyond in trying to rectify each and every situation. I can assure you that we utilize every bit of feedback to help improve our service, and we will use your feedback to make changes that will better serve our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share.

Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
nc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon after a KC Royals game and there was no one else in the lobby. My husband went to check in and he said it was a very pleasant experience. I was dealing with the car out front and unloading luggage. I received no offer of help from the gentleman at the door. My next impression was that the lobby was dark and quiet and smelled a bit damp. There were fingerprints all over the elevator and door handles. The hallway we were on was so dark and depressing. The bedspreads were new but everything else appeared dated. There appeared to be quite a few restaurants within walking distance but we wanted ribs. The hotel had a free shuttle and they were able to take us to Jack Stack's rib restaurant which was quite good. My husband would give this a four and my experience would indicate more of a three. I think I would try another hotel next visit probably in the country club plaza area based on reviews rather than power and light district.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear buttercup16,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry the hotel did not live 100% up to your expectations but I am pleased to hear you were able to utilize our shuttle service to Jack Stack.

We welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza the next time you are in KC to try us again and see how we have improved.

Regards,

Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

My friends and I (4 of us) stayed here for a baseball trip to see the Royals. First of all, the location is awesome. It is an easy walk to the Power & Light District which has quite a few bars an restaurants. We were surprised with the number of options how dead it was on a Friday night. Very surprising.

One of my friends is a Platinum Level guest and so we got upgraded to a nice suite on the 27th floor. It had a king bed and the couch in the sitting area pulled out to a queen size. The room seemed updated and had a nice counter for snacks/drinks. On top of the couch in the sitting area, there was also a flat screen TV. The only negative about the room was that the sink area was around the corner from the shower/toilet area. Kind of annoying to get ready in the morning. Overall if I was ever in KC again, I would stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms up high have nice city views!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hoosier_Travel_Nut
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Hoosier_Travel_Nut,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent trip to the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

For future reference, we have several layouts of our suites, not all of them have the sink around the corner in the bathroom area. We'd be happy to accommodate you any way we can the next time you are in town.

Thanks again for staying with us!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had to bring our luggage back from the 3rd floor garage to to lobby to get an elevator to work. No one seem the least bit concerned about this inconvenience. Bathroom was terrible-mold and paint peeling off walls and ceiling.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
KCCPGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear bransoneats:

Unfortunately, your complaints were not brought to my attention at the time of your stay, so I apologize for the communication failure. I would have addressed your issues immediately and made sure that you left the hotel happy with your stay.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly, because I would like to make this right by you, and because I would like to gather more information so that I can address the physical shortfalls you noted.

I would like to address your comments about the elevator in general. For the safety of our guests, the garage elevators do not access the guestroom hallways unless you insert your room key in to the card reader. There is a sign prominently posted above the elevator buttons, stating this. I apologize that my staff did not mention this when you brought it to their attention.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss your stay. Again, thank you for your helpful feedback.

Michael Cooney
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

upon check in it was busy due to the youth convention for COGIC but my check in went very smooth. I want to Thank Nivea M and John T for everything. John T thank you for helping me understand my bill and how it would be billed, and Nivea you will go far in life with your personality I loved it. The rooms were clean and the room service was great also. God bless you all. job well done. Katrina McGrone (Waterloo, Iowa)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Katrina M
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Katrina M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about our staff. I am so happy to hear they were able to assist you and offer the level of service we pride ourselves on here at the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City.

We look forward to you next visit to the Kansas City area.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We were in town for five nights at the Crowne Plaza. I was a little disappointed in the accomodations but it is an older hotel. The staff more than made up for it, though. Everyone was super nice and made us feel like we were still down south. The staff was a great representation of Kansas City and the hotel should be proud of them. I would definitely stay there again just based on the excellent service.

Stayed June 2014
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Rustyglass,

Thank you for sharing your kind words about the staff at the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown. I have shared your review with our staff. I wish you could have seen the smiles it brought to their faces.

Hopefully we will see you next year for Skills!

Whitakers, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nice room accommodations, rooftop pool was very nice (though the weather limited its use). And although I didn't use it myself, the Starbucks in the lobby seemed very popular. The hours for the bar were good, but the beer was rather pricey.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sir_Elfman,

Thank you for sharing your comments about the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your room accommodations and as much of the pool as you could due to the weather.

We would love to have you as our guest again if your travels bring you back to the Kansas City area.