“special occasion place”
Review of Chaz on the Plaza

Chaz on the Plaza
Reserve with OpenTable
Chaz on the Plaza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 1,424 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$25 - US$41
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wornall
Description: Our Kansas City Plaza restaurant's charming atmosphere is enhanced by modern American cuisine & live music performed nightly and from 10 am - 1 pm during Weekend Jazz Brunch Saturdays and Sundays. Menus at the hotel's Chaz Restaurant in Kansas City reflect regional bounty & the culinary team's creativity. Cuisine is complemented with a Wine Spectator Award-winning wine list, domestic and imported beers, cocktails, spirits, single malt Scotch and Bourbons, and a selection of liqueurs and ports.
“special occasion place”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

a little stuffy, grownup place good music in the bar, expensive drinks. can get bogo on your birthday.

Leawood, Kansas
“Excellent Performance for a Cutomer Dinner”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I hosted a customer dinner for 12 at Chaz on the Plaza. The dinner was originally planned to be at Bluestem but they are unable to accommodate reservations for more than 6 people. So on short notice, I schedule this mid-week dinner at Chaz which is located in the Raphael Hotel on Ward Blvd.

The reservation was handled well with a confirmation call from the restaurant on the day of the event. We arrived and were seated promptly. The restaurant and adjacent bar are cozy and well appointed. The menu is outstanding with a wide variety of meat, fish, poultry and vegetarian items. It all starts with an attractive appetizer list.

I started with an arugula salad, one of my all time favorites with included a generous portion of this spicy green dusted with some very tasty but not overpowering vinaigrette. It was garnished with a small piece of fried goat cheese. Perfect.

For my main, I ordered Colorado Rack of Lamb which was a generous cut of the most tender and juicy meat, perfectly seasoned. It was served medium rare, just as I ordered. It was garnished with some Dauphine potatoes and cheesy cauliflower. It was a perfect portion. If I were to do anything else, I would have added asparagus to my meal. One of my colleagues did and it looked delicious.

I shared a dessert of deep dish Dutch apple and pear casserole topped with a scoop of ice cream. It was more than enough for two people and was a perfect end to a meal.

There is a reasonably large wine list with a variety of price points. We ordered a Pinot and a Shiraz. Both were well balanced for the meals on the table.

The only down side of the meal was the espresso. While it tasted very good, I don't understand why they would fill the espresso cup to the rim nor do I get this American custom of putting a twist of lemon peel on the side. This is a turn off for me. I'm not sure where that custom comes from but it certainly isn't from Italy where espresso originates. To me it feels like somebody left some kitchen trash on the plate.

Service was well done and responsive. Dinners came out hot and fresh. Live music was being performed in the bar -not overpowering but relaxing.

We had 11 guests. The bill came to $981 including a preloaded 20% gratuity. Not cheap but a reflection of the level of the establishment. I don't think 20% is a fair "grab". I give 20% for the best service. This was in that range but I think it's rude to presume that they delivered such service. Had the service been less than perfect, I would have complained.

Parking was through valet so it made the visit to the busy Plaza area convenient.

I will use this restaurant again for business dinners and for special occasions

1 Thank IMFLYBOY
Kansas City
“Romantic and delicious with excellent service”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Perfect place for our anniversary dinner. The intimate booth setting made us feel like we had the whole place to ourselves. Quiet setting, romantic lighting, and soft jazz playing in the lounge. Excellent service and recommendations from our waitress. I'd planned on the lambchops after hearing how good they are, but asked the waitress what her favorite entree was and she said, "Aged prime beef." Best steak we have ever had. Flavorful, tender, and perfectly cooked. The potato croquette was good too. Piping hot, crispy and decadent. We also had the crab cake appetizer (yum), grilled caesar salad (delicious but watch our for the whole anchovies!). We were too full for dessert but hey, it was our anniversary, so we had dessert anyways. Hubby's stout chocolate cake covered w ganache and served with browned butter ice cream was divine. I had a pear crisp which was a little sweet but very good. Dinner for two with wine, appetizers and dessert was about $150.

• Visited February 2012
Kansas City
“Yeah... it was good, but #1!?!?!??!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I went to Chaz tonight. It was good, but I'm not sure it even comes close to being #1!!!! The bar tab for a glass of wine and a gin and tonic was $27.00 (that included a tip). The atmosphere was nice, but not at all what I expected. The waiter was from another country. He was very nice, attentive, and knew the menu well, but he was very hard to understand. Dinner was $100.21 for a filet, salad, some chicken dish and soup. Live music was starting , but it was smooth jazz which really isn't out style. Most people were dressed up and a couple were in jeans. The cost really didn't justify the experience or food. I will say it was the best Caesar salad I've ever had.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great a must see!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Food was excellant, the atmosphere with the live music was very nice. Went for a romantic evening out with my wife. I would suggest if you want a little privacy ask for booth towards the back they were very private and romantic.. For a street view ask for a table by the window facing Ward Parkway it looks out at Brush Creek and the Plaza. Parking was easy when parking in the hotel's garage, no searching for street parking. The service was great our waiter was on top of it all. Very nice highley reconmended, will go back again and next time I will stay in the hotel.