“Do the math”

Ameristar Casino Kansas City
Ranked #51 of 161 things to do in Kansas City
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I’ve played the slot machines at this casino a couple times a week for 8 years. Of the nearly 900 trips to the casino, I’ve only won 5 times. That is less than 1 percent of the time or 0.45%. Or you can figure the 80,000 us dollars I’ve played and won back about 4000 and come up with a player’s hold of about 5 percent. That is what you can expect here. They advertise 91% payback but that’s not a valid number. I played 10 different 2 credit quarter machines, 10 dollars in each machine, 200 spins produced 0 credits. Not one single cherry landed on a pay line during a busy Friday night. That is 0% for me that night and it only took about 20 minutes. There is no entertainment value here. So if you play here you can figure losing about 100 bucks per half hour. Their machines never pay. They are allowed too much control of the machine payout, after all it is a corporate business and they are in it to make a profit. I just keep playing hoping one day they might give me 10% of my 80 grand back but it never happens, 95 percent of the time the machines won’t even let you play so it’s really hard to rack up any points which are of very little value. If you do come here, good luck.
If you drive here mind the speed limit in Randolph because you can bet they will be watching for you.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

My best friend and I stayed two nights in the hotel at this casino from March 22 to 24, 2013. I did a good hotel review but the casino was not good. We're not big gamblers but we do tend to find a penny machine and bet around $1.50 a turn and spend several hours playing and talking and having a few drinks.

We first joined the player's club. I have a player's card for the Ameristar in Black Hawk, CO but it doesn't transfer over to other Ameristars. With cards in hand we started looking for something to play. It was Friday night and everyone in Kansas City seemed to be there. We couldn't find a machine to play that we liked. There were WAY TOO MANY of those penny slots that have overflowing coins on the screen when you win 20 cents. We don't enjoy those games at all but it seemed half the casino was like that. We bounced around from machine to machine for a while always losing. We never settled into games that we really liked and by the end of the first night, we were disappointed.

The biggest disappointment is you have to pay for drinks! We ordered two rum and cokes with a lime and she comes back and says, $6.50. What? Seriously? She says it's state law. OK. So you have to charge for drinks...you can't charge a $1? You charge me full price like I'm not putting money into a slot machine that I'll eventually lose? Bad bad form. That alone will keep me from ever gambling in that casino again.

Second day same thing. Wandering around looking for a fun machine to play. The casino was less full because of a snow storm in the area. We played an Alice in Wonderland game that was fun then finally settled in on the Ghostbusters game for a few hours. That was at least fun even though we lost. And still we were paying for drinks. Then at 2:30 AM a cocktail waitress, the first we'd seen all night, comes by and says she has to take our glasses because they can't have glassware on the floor after last call. So not only did I have to go to the bar all night because a cocktail waitress NEVER came by but now I'm savoring my last drink but now you want to take it away because it's glass? Again, another reason I'll never gamble there again.

The casino is flanked by a movie theater, kids club, several restaurants, and a fountain. It's a nice place. The Burger King is the only 24 hour food place in the casino/hotel. They do have a kids's club that's got lots of activities if you wanted to come with the kids. Most of the casino is smoking. They have a very small non smoking section on the second floor. There are bathrooms close by just about everywhere. Self serve soda stations and coffee stations.

The hotel is very nice and we enjoyed staying there but I won't gamble in this casino again.

6  Thank MileHighGirl
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Nothing to write home about. The Crableg buffet every Friday is the only reason i go oh and the fried chicken at the buffet too, other than that the rest of the food is just ok. The casino is just a bunch of lights and hoopla really not my thing but when i do hit the floor i just play the Slots.

Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thanks for sharing your review and for visiting, Robert! Although we’re glad to hear you really enjoy our crab legs and fried chicken, we’re disappointed we did not wow you with everything else we have to offer. We appreciate your feedback, as we are continuously working to improve and do hope you come back to see us.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Went with a bud while in town. Nice place. Friendly folks. Blackjack was good until dealer break (change). Like the bonus payout opportunity on the blackjack. Moved to slots and had enough luck to play for quite awhile. I smoke so this place is great for me. Most people not smoking and those of us that did where considerate of others and the ventilation system seemed to handle what smoke there was. Free soda and coffee. There are several bars. Not outrageously priced. The place is attractive and clean. Enjoy.

Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thanks for visiting and for sharing your experience. I’m glad you had a good time and hope you can visit again!

Reviewed 5 March 2013

This buffet has anything & everything you can imagine. The only compliant I have is the price. A family of four (two of those children-ages 5 &8) & we paid over $62. That's crazy

1  Thank Amy I