“Hidden Gem in Kansas City”
Review of Julian

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 62nd Terrace
Transit: MAX
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Small restaurant in Brookside. Wine list with some good finds. Homemade pretzel sticks with gouda sauce were great. Also tried the homemade sausage which I enjoyed. Tried the imported italian pasta, pork belly, chicken confit and pork shoulder. Everyone at table had great things to say about their meals. We decided to try panna cotta and bread pudding for dessert, they were both good. Our server was attentive and informed. Chef Celina even came by our table and chatted.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

My girlfriend and I happened to dine at this restaurant because the one we had intended to go to was so busy and she mentioned she had heard about this new place about a block down. Wow, were we impressed! We found out from the chef who came out to see if we had enjoyed everything that she had been at The American restaurant for several years. I had eaten there years ago when she was there and it was one of the best meals of my life! They changed chefs and when I went back it was absolutely awful. I wondered what happened to that amazing chef, well here she is at her own place! It was quiet yet very nicely appointed ambience that was kind of cozy. It isn't a really big place but we did not feel crowded in any way at our 2 seat table.
Our server was incredibly knowledgable about the menu offerings and how they were prepared. He was knowledgable in a friendly way, not snooty like some servers are at nice places. We had the smoked salmon appetizer which was soooo good! They smoke their own salmon right there. It had pickled onions on it which I typically don't like raw onion but the combination of flavors was just amazing. We split the pork shoulder for our entree. Our server told us how the chef prepares it in a special pan that cooks it by the vapors. Once I took a bite of that meat, I wish my friend and I were not sharing! I easily could have eaten the whole thing it was so good! It also had a fennel type garnish on top of it which was also a wonderful compliment of flavors. I usually don't like fennel but this was really good. We then took our server's advice and tried the new panna cotta dessert. It also was a wonderful combination of coffee, chocolate and I think caramel flavors. Our server was right on with everything. It was an amazing meal like I had so many years ago!! This chef also competed on Iron Chef or one of those shows. She is really amazing! The prices are also very reasonable.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

What a cool, comfortable place to dine at. The food is outstanding and very creative. Julian has almost an insider vibe to it, like visiting a friends home. Always an interesting beer and wine selection. Chef Tio is even brewing her own now. Do not pass on dessert as you will miss something spectacular.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

We took my daughter and her boyfriend to Julian to celebrate Christmas early because they had heard good things about the Chef. I ordered Scallops which were good, but that with a few sweet potato sticks left me a little hungry, even with the very small desert. Dad ordered catfish which he thought was average. But the daughter and boyfriend ordered Lamb and Pheasant respectively and the Lamb was very good and the Pheasant was excellent, according to them. Had bread pudding for desert. Excellent, but it was a 2"x2" square if that. The atmosphere needs a little something; it was bland. It seems as though they are not finished decorating. The service was excellent. Not sure I'd go back but the kids loved it. I'll take EBT's scallops any day of the week.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

The creativity that allowed Chef Celina Tio go far on the Next Iron Chef contest (and win Jame Beard award) was evident in the dishes. But on the night I was there, the execution was not there, as my pork shoulder was extremely dry. Also, all four of us felt that the flavors did not really "pop". I must admit though the fennel puree was divine. All four of us, agreed that the desserts were not worth it. Portions were on the small side, but the prices were not exorbitant. Setting was small and casual. Great by-the-glass wine list with reasonable pricing. Having the celebrity chef come out and thank us at the end was a nice touch. However, Debbie Gold's The American Restaurant is the better celebrity chef restaurant in town, although much pricier.