“Nice Hotel - Poor Value - Won't Return”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #34 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Tampa
“Nice Hotel - Poor Value - Won't Return”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

On a positive point, I will say that it looks like a nice facility for a large conference. The rooms are certainly nice enough in this modern facility, and the views of the Plaza are great from our 17th floor room (see photo attached). However, I have several issues with it.

I do not find a lot of value in their $200 a night rate. The first several days of our trip, we stayed at The Rafael Hotel, which is a boutique hotel that is rated number one in Kansas City. As stated in my five star review of The Rafael, we loved it there. First, the very name of this property, Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza" is somewhat disingenuous, as it is not in the Plaza Country Club District. It's a pretty good hike, and completely different from the Rafael, which was right there in the district.

Also, whereas The Rafael had FREE valet parking, this property is totally the opposite. When we arrived, we were asked if we wanted valet parking, and I said yes. The cost of this was never disclosed by either the valet or the front desk. It was only when I asked about a potential fee that I was told about the $18 per night! On the subject of fees, which is a real pet peeve of mine, I found out that it would cost $10 a day for Internet access. I also got this for free at The Rafael! Now, my $200 a night rate is $228!! And, I could not log onto the internet except for the one device that I used to register and pay. Like a lot of people, I have a laptop, iPhone, iPad, etc. What, do I have to pay $30 for access for all devices???

Additionally, because it has 18 floors, expect far more inconvenience getting up to your room. I've taken the elevator several times, and during busy times count on multiple stops. It must have stopped 10 times before getting to our room this last time.

In conclusion, unless you're a business person attending a conference here, I would stay clear as there is more value and better locations in the Plaza Country Club District.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
izabellatoma, Owner at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
On behalf of the staff at the Kansas City Marriot Country Club Plaza, thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and for staying with us.

Sales and Marketing Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The location is perfect, the service is great, the rooms are good, the price was competitive. Everything was what I expect from Marriott. Except for two things. You have to pay for parking and you have to pay for internet. This adds almost $30 a night. I have been to many other hotels around the plaza for my weekends trips from Wichita, KS.... and there is not a ONE that I have been to that charges for both internet and parking. I give this hotel 3.5 stars. I would give it an easy 5 stars, maybe even 6 stars(if I could) if the parking and internet was free... as it would be the only hotel I would go to in KC. But, I guess I will keep on going to the Holiday Inn next door for the same price, with free internet and parking, and save myself from having to walk all the way up the steep hill to get to the Marriott hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank throwingcopper33
izabellatoma, Owner at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
On behalf of the Staff at the Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. We really appreciate the nice comments and we do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Wichita, KS
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My daughter and I were there for a "girls weekend". Our first trip to KC and really appreciated the guidance offered by the staff. Bob on the evening shift was particularly helpful. If someone didn't know the answer, they found someone else who did.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. And the beds? You will want to take them home with you. Comfortable beds and bedding.

We used room service for breakfast one morning. Prompt and the food was hot and delicious. We also used the valet parking, though that wasn't necessary but a treat for ourselves.

Walking distance to the Plaza shopping area, plenty of restaurants, art museums, and QuikTrip. The climb up the hill at the end of the day is the only downside. BUT, Marriott offers a free shuttle to take you to your Plaza destination. They provide you with a phone number and Paul quickly picked us up and took us back up the hill.

Room Tip: Bring plenty of cash for tipping. The service is great and worth it!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank christy0310
izabellatoma, Owner at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
On behalf of the staff at the Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We are truly glad that you had a great experience. Thank you for your great comments about our staff, we will make sure they are commended. It is our goal to provide the highest level of service and comfort and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

81630345589 (direct)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This is the first time we have stayed at the Marriott here though we have stayed at a number of the other Plaza hotels. The hotel was spacious and the room we had on the 12th floor overlooked the Plaza section as well as giving a fantastic view of the southern part of the area - I had never realized how green and wooded it was there! Our room was well-laid out and the bed and pillows very comfortable and nicely tailored; Marriott now is in the market of selling bed linens and other items of decor that can be found in the rooms- even the beds! -, so their standards seem high. It took only a few minutes to walk to the Plaza to enjoy visiting the stores and restaurants though, if we had wanted, we could have arranged to take a courtesy shuttle. The hotel is adjacent to the Kemper Art museum and a short walk from both the art Institute and the Nelson-Atkins museum. Finding parking by the Nelson can be tiresome, so I would suggest leave your car at the hotel and walk; you will be there in less than 10 minutes. Parking spaces are cramped at the hotel, as indicated by other travelers, but we did manage to find wide enough bays. The bar in the lobby is vibrant and we enjoyed having a pre-dinner cocktail there before dining at one of the many restaurants on the Plaza.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
On behalf of the staff at the Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.
We are delighted that you had a great experience during your stay at our hotel. It is our goal to offer the highest level of comfort and service to our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

8163034559 (direct)
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 July 2011

This full service Marriott is a 2 block walk from the end of the Coutry Club section of Kansas City. The area is full of all kinds of bars and restaurants (chains but mostly not), many with alfresco seating, and shops. Sort of an open air mall with classy touches (check out all the tile work on the 40's looking buildings. Near parks and all those fountains.
Now for the hotel itself, rooms, typical for an upgraded Marriott, excellent bedding and TV, very nice concierge room and staff. Ask for a room high up looking towards the CC area.
Nice pool, and adequate gym.
Overall desk staff were very nice, bell staff were especially accommodating. I had a very early morning flight and they had my car at the door and ready at 5am as I had asked!
Forget the restaurant/bar. Standard Marriott fare poorly done. Bartenders acted like they just dropped out of bartending school. Do yourself a favor and walk to the Country Club area

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
izabellatoma, Owner at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
We apologize that the dining experience did not meet your expectations. Your input in very valuable to use, as it helps us improve.
We are glad that your overall experience was a positive one, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

St. Louis
Reviewed 28 July 2011

From the valet at the front door, to the front desk, to the restaurant staff, everyone was helpful and courteous. The free breakfast we received with our booking was great and they allowed us to order from the menu as well as the buffet offerings. The tickets for the meal noted that included the tip, which was nice...we never even saw a bill. The hotel was clean and well furnished. Only problem was that the water in the shower was labeled wrong and hot was cold and visa versa-this could be dangerous. It was a short walk to Country Club Plaza, but there really are only a few hotels closer than this one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay, as our goal is to offer the highest level of service and comfort.
Please accept our apologies for the wrong labeling in the shower, we will address and fix that problem. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

The staff could not have been nicer! The breakfast buffet was fresh and delicious.

• Stayed July 2011
We are delighted that your experience was a positive one as our goal is to offer you the highest level of service and comfort.
We hope to serve you again in the future.