“$250 a night and still charging for Internet?”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Nice hotel, but I paying for Internet after spending $250.00 makes one feel nickel and dimed. While the hotel is nice, it isn't a luxury hotel and you can find a place just as nice not to far away that is cheaper and Internet is included. Also, the hotel restaurant is closed for dinner, forcing guests to the bar which has a very limited menu. If you are trying to represent yourself as a business hotel which I assume is the case with the high rates then act like it and have a restaurant that is open.

Also, the day I was there it was very cold and the windows are old and leak lots of cold air.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was concerned to hear you had issues in your guest room - I would like the opportunity to help correct that issue but need more information. If you have the time available please call me at the main hotel phone number at 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager. I appreciate any time you have to help with this and thank you again for writing a review.

There are newer reviews for Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Nice hotel, however, this is the first hotel that I've stayed at in two years that still charges for internet in the rooms. Internet is free in the lobby and there are several workstations but if you want to get online in the convenience of your room, you will have to pay a $12/day connection fee. Ridiculous in this day and age. Convenient location only 4 or 5 blocks to the edge of the Plaza. Parking is not free. It is $15/day. Upon check-in I was given a room on the 5th floor right across from the elevators. After several hours I knew the noise would be a problem. Asked the front desk if I could move and they obliged. Maid service was super friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dandytime
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for writing a review on our property. Although we do charge for our internet, you will find from the two different speeds you can choose from the best at any hotel in Kansas City - we just had all new wireless equipment installed this year. I am happy to read that our service was top notch, we hope to have you back for a follow up review on your next stay.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel in the last year. As a Platinum Elite in Marriott, i was upgraded to a super room on the concierge (19th) floor overlooking the plaza. Beautiful view. Super fast elevator. The concierge lounge offers great food for breakfast & early evening meals. beef stroganoff one evening & flank steak strips the other. You could easily have supper on what they offer. Parking is a bit steep at $19/night for valet service considering most of the other Plaza hotels don't charge anything. It's just a quick walk to the Plaza or you can take the hotel shuttle if the weather is bad. My only concerns were the water pressure in the shower - too low - and the difficulty in controlling the room temperature. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. All in all, if you want to stay on the Plaza this is as good as there is.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms overlook the Plaza. The higher floors have super views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for not only your great loyalty to Marriott Hotels as a Platinum Elite Member with our Rewards Program (the best in the business if you ask me) - but for also taking the time to write a review of our hotel.
We do have a great Concierge Lounge for our Elite Members, I am proud to say we are consistently ranked in the top 20 out of all 333 Full Service Marriott Hotels for our services in the Concierge Lounge. You can also pay a premium most nights to have access if you do not have the Elite Status required for the complimentary access granted to our Gold and Platinum Members.
Although you had some great things to say - I was concerned to hear about your water pressure and heat issues you experienced. I would like to get further details to address any lingering problems we might not have caught after you departed, please feel free to call the main hotel phone number of 816-531-3000 and ask for hte Guest Services Manager - I would be delighted to take your call. Thank you again for all of your loyalty and time!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

After staying in several nearby hotels, I thought I had a good rate at the Marriot over Thanksgiving. While most hotels in Country Club Plaza area offer free parking and free internet in the room, Marriot charges extra for them. That tacks on $30 per day. It certainly decreases the value. The room was very nice, a quick ride up the elevator, friendly staff and great location. The room had an extremely loud HVAC system that woke us up several time during the night.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Birdlegs52
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I was disappointed you had issues with your HVAC unit being so loud during your stay - would you mind contacting me at the hotel with more details about your stay so we can address the issue? I appreciate any extra time you have and look forward to your call.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

The lobby and customer service was great. Parking was overcrowded, probably should have valet the truck. I didn't feel that this hotel was worth the price they were charging. It was on a holiday, and near a popular attraction in KC, but for a room without a plaza light view it seemed a bit steep for how outdated the rooms are. Everything worked fine, and having a shuttle to take you to the plaza was definitely a plus!

Room Tip: The even number rooms have the plaza room I believe.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review! I hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again during the holidays - we are one of the few Plaza hotels with the shuttle service to and from the shopping area. A great added value with all the wonderful Kansas City weather we are experiencing!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here for work. LOVED the fitness center...huge, windows/view and brand new machines.
My room seem newly redone. Most comfortable bed ever and room was huge!
Also loved the zen-like wood elevator....weird to describe it as zen-like but it was!
Staff was absolutely superb!
Would return!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lexi1980
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel! The fitness center at our hotel is a great highlight - and an essential for almost all travelers.

I was happy to hear you liked our BRAND NEW elevator design - they were installed just a few months ago. We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Every encounter with a staff member was graced by kindness, accommodation - they couldn't have been more helpful. Helen in housekeeping always had a smile and a kind word. Patrick, driving the shuttle, kept things very fun and engaging.

The rooms, lobby, bed, sheets, pillows, etc. were all first rate.

They provide a shuttle service to Country Club Plaza, which is a few blocks away.

Oh. And the elevator. Possibly the fastest I've ever seen.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the review - I will be sure to pass along your accollades to Patrick and Helen on the Personal Service they delivered.

Our Shuttle Service to and from the Country Club Plaza is probably our most popular amenity at the hotel - after all that shopping and or dining it does make the trip back a lot easier than walking.

Additionally on your observations of our elevators - I am happy to say they are BRAND NEW! I am glad to hear they are living up to our expectations.