“Great area but elite staff needs training.”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Tucson, Arizona
“Great area but elite staff needs training.”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this property from the 8th through the 11th. Staff was great the only issue I experienced was the lady in the lounge seemed a little standoffish and irritated when you addressed her. She was sometimes not accessible. I travel all year and really enjoy the exclusivity the lounge offers. I actually went in on Monday morning and it was about 9:30am and she was nowhere to be found and I would have liked some assistance with dinner options that evening. On Tuesday morning she left early again so I didn't even bother as I was checking out anyway. If the lounge attendant leaves at 930 then it should be stated that the lounge closes at 930am and not at 10am

Room Tip: I like the corner rooms but rarely get them when using travelweb.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay. I was concerned to read you found our concierge lounge staff to be unhelpful, we regularly receive high marks on the service we deliver in our elite lounge. I appreciate you providing the feedback so we may address any issues with our services.

Our posted hours for breakfast Monday through Friday are 6:30am until 9:00am, most mornings after these hours we will not have staff available in our lounge until our evening reception begins at 5:00pm each day with the exception of Friday night and Saturday which the lounge does not open at all that day. However our staff at the Front Desk is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I would like to ask if you might have a few extra moments to provide some additional details concerning your interaction you did have with our lounge attendant the morning she had the opportunity to answer any questions or requests you had. Please feel free to reach me at the main hotel phone number of 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager, or via email at Michael.cost@marriottccplaza.com. Thank you for all of your time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed there on a Saturday night. The location is great for access to the Plaza; walking distance if the weather is nice. We had a spacious King room with a great view of the Plaza. Also, it is only a 10 minute cab ride to the Power and Light District or the Sprint Center Downtown. Every staff member we encountered, including front desk staff, bell staff, coffee shop staff, and bar staff were friendly and helpful.
The room decor could use updating, the shower water pressure was a bit low, and the elevator "ping-ping" noise was a bit loud. Yes, you would have to pay extra for breakfast and high-speed internet, but that is clearly stated on the hotel website. With that in mind, overall we had a great experience at a nice hotel that provides a very high level of service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for the praise! I was concerned to hear that you had water pressure issues though - could I trouble you to contact me at the hotel so I can find out which room number you stayed in to address the issue? Feel free to call 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager - I would delighted to take your call. We hope to have you back with us and thank you again for all the great comments!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 January 2014

One of our best hotels ever. We travel extensively and are used to various conditions of hotels but this was a very pleasant surprise. Every thing from check-in, the room, the staff and restaurant was far above average, while the price was way below what we would expect to pay for a place as nice as this.
We were blown away by how nice the entire staff treated us and the level of friendliness and professionalism by every one we encountered. We will definitely stay there again and again. " Great Job" to all. The level of Management was most apparent. Thanks again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanderingOG
Thank you for taking time out of your day to give us the accolades! I am pleased to hear our staff showed what it takes to meet your expectations - consistency and professionalism are two words we live by at the Marriott. From your comments it sounds like we are walking the walk - we look forward to having you back!
Urbandale, Iowa
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I booked two nights a night in advanced and got a great price online. We found the hotel easy. Its literally a block from the plaza, a few miles from power and light also.

I will start off by complimenting the staff. They ask how you are doing often. The first morning I came down looking for a shop to buy toothpaste and they gave me some.

Even the repairman, who was working on our floor stopped to say good morning.

The rooms are slightly dated but comfy. The beds and sheets were clean. No complaints other than little picky things that people post pics of constantly....but who cares, its not brand new, and not an expensive place to stay.

The pool and hot tub were clean, a little on the small side but were almost always empty so it was perfect. At the price we got, it was pretty much the only indoor pool around.

We were woken up to the neighbor throwing up all night after what we think was a concert that night. This is certainly not the hotels fault.
Yes, parking and breakfast isnt free, we should have got the package online, but that wasnt a huge deal breaker. I used mobile hotspot for internet. The drinks at the lobby bar were pricey but much cheaper than an owi.

All in all, a great stay, great staff, and location!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the awesome review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay - my apologies about the noisy neighbors, we look forward to having you back wtih us when you get down from Iowa. Safe travels and here's to hoping for some warm weather for both of us the next couple weeks!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is my second stay here. I am a Platinum Member so I didn't pay for Internet but did pay a lot for parking. The hotel was booked so I didn't get an upgrade although my King Room was great. Very clean and comfortable bed.
I was traveling alone so I didn't venture out to the Plaza. Used the concierge lounge for dinner snacks and breakfast. Both were great. I ended up not using the restaurant or room service because of the amount of food I received in the lounge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for the review! I am glad to hear that our Concierge Lounge lives up to your expectations - out of 300 Full Service Marriott Hotels we are consistently in the Top 20 for the service we deliver on our top floor Elite Lounge over looking the Plaza. We look forward to having you back!
Indiana
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Nice hotel, but I paying for Internet after spending $250.00 makes one feel nickel and dimed. While the hotel is nice, it isn't a luxury hotel and you can find a place just as nice not to far away that is cheaper and Internet is included. Also, the hotel restaurant is closed for dinner, forcing guests to the bar which has a very limited menu. If you are trying to represent yourself as a business hotel which I assume is the case with the high rates then act like it and have a restaurant that is open.

Also, the day I was there it was very cold and the windows are old and leak lots of cold air.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was concerned to hear you had issues in your guest room - I would like the opportunity to help correct that issue but need more information. If you have the time available please call me at the main hotel phone number at 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager. I appreciate any time you have to help with this and thank you again for writing a review.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Nice hotel, however, this is the first hotel that I've stayed at in two years that still charges for internet in the rooms. Internet is free in the lobby and there are several workstations but if you want to get online in the convenience of your room, you will have to pay a $12/day connection fee. Ridiculous in this day and age. Convenient location only 4 or 5 blocks to the edge of the Plaza. Parking is not free. It is $15/day. Upon check-in I was given a room on the 5th floor right across from the elevators. After several hours I knew the noise would be a problem. Asked the front desk if I could move and they obliged. Maid service was super friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dandytime
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for writing a review on our property. Although we do charge for our internet, you will find from the two different speeds you can choose from the best at any hotel in Kansas City - we just had all new wireless equipment installed this year. I am happy to read that our service was top notch, we hope to have you back for a follow up review on your next stay.