“Service Beyond Every Expectation”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #30 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Colorado
“Service Beyond Every Expectation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

This service at this hotel was exceptional and beyond all expectations.

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend with two other friends, all of whom are frequent international and U.S. travelers. We picked Kansas City as a meeting spot, as we all live in different parts of the country and we could each reach Kansas City with less than a three-hour flight. So when we checked in and the front desk staff informed us our reservation was for a different Kansas City Marriott, we really had no hesitation accepting his gracious offer to provide us rooms at this hotel at a lower rate.

The rooms were lovely, with the usual comfortable Marriott bed and bedding. My king size room had a desk/chair, plus a lounging chair, sofa and refrigerator. The double room was spacious and well appointed. The toiletries were the newer upgraded Marriott standard and the room had a coffee/tea maker and refrigerator.

But it is the staff at this hotel that gives it the over the top rating. There was not a need the staff did not anticipate or provide without a smile and engaging communication. Every time we had a request or a desire, as one would approach a staff person, the staff would inquire as to how they could assist and immediately handle the request. After a day or two we started saying, “I asked the staff for...(whatever it was)...and they already have taken care of it.” And our standard response became, “Of course they did.”

There was not a single employee who did not pleasantly greet us whenever we encountered them in the hotel. There was not a single employee who did not strive to meet our every need from the front desk, to the bartenders, to the wait staff, the bell staff, the shuttle driver, the housekeeping staff, etc. The concierge, Jon, just went beyond every expectation in making sure we had the right reservations at the right restaurants and accommodating all our other requests. The hotel shuttle service we used to get to and from restaurants was free and was provided by a courteous and delightful driver. It was simply amazing.

The level of service exceeded that which any of us have experienced at five star resorts worldwide. Whoever is training Marriott staff at this hotel should not only be commended but should broaden the scope of his or her training responsibilities.

Though this is not a newer Marriott, the public spaces, such as bars, restaurants, pool and gym were well maintained and comfortable.

We would come back in a heartbeat. Thanks for making this an incredible weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Broder
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Great acollades! Thank you so much for your review of our hotel - I look forward to sharing with our team your great experience. We look forward to having you back with us on the Country Club Plaza.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times for work and pleasure. I've always had great service and the rooms have been nice. I also enjoyed a nice breakfast at their restaurant located in the hotel. I would return for business and with my family for a weekend on the Plaza.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review! I will be sure to pass along your accolades to our Restaurant Staff - we look forward to having you with us again when you have the opportunity to come down from Iowa.
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is a typical business hotel within walking distance of the Plaza. The staff was great. Very helpful. Great recommendations. Efficient.

The hotel, rooms, and the rest is par for the course for a Marriott hotel. Solid. Good.

NOTE: this hotel is NEAR, but not inside the plaza. You have to either walk, drive or take their shuttle to the Plaza shops and restaurants. I was there for business, so this did not impact me. But you should know this first.

Oddly, the tile on the walls of the bathroom shower was very dated (circa 1990s), but the rest of the room was nice and updated. Very strange.

Room Tip: Be nice to the check in staff.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the time you took to write a review of our hotel! We hope to get you back with us for a little leisure trip next time but we are happy to have you for business as well!
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this property from the 8th through the 11th. Staff was great the only issue I experienced was the lady in the lounge seemed a little standoffish and irritated when you addressed her. She was sometimes not accessible. I travel all year and really enjoy the exclusivity the lounge offers. I actually went in on Monday morning and it was about 9:30am and she was nowhere to be found and I would have liked some assistance with dinner options that evening. On Tuesday morning she left early again so I didn't even bother as I was checking out anyway. If the lounge attendant leaves at 930 then it should be stated that the lounge closes at 930am and not at 10am

Room Tip: I like the corner rooms but rarely get them when using travelweb.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay. I was concerned to read you found our concierge lounge staff to be unhelpful, we regularly receive high marks on the service we deliver in our elite lounge. I appreciate you providing the feedback so we may address any issues with our services.

Our posted hours for breakfast Monday through Friday are 6:30am until 9:00am, most mornings after these hours we will not have staff available in our lounge until our evening reception begins at 5:00pm each day with the exception of Friday night and Saturday which the lounge does not open at all that day. However our staff at the Front Desk is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I would like to ask if you might have a few extra moments to provide some additional details concerning your interaction you did have with our lounge attendant the morning she had the opportunity to answer any questions or requests you had. Please feel free to reach me at the main hotel phone number of 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager, or via email at Michael.cost@marriottccplaza.com. Thank you for all of your time!
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed there on a Saturday night. The location is great for access to the Plaza; walking distance if the weather is nice. We had a spacious King room with a great view of the Plaza. Also, it is only a 10 minute cab ride to the Power and Light District or the Sprint Center Downtown. Every staff member we encountered, including front desk staff, bell staff, coffee shop staff, and bar staff were friendly and helpful.
The room decor could use updating, the shower water pressure was a bit low, and the elevator "ping-ping" noise was a bit loud. Yes, you would have to pay extra for breakfast and high-speed internet, but that is clearly stated on the hotel website. With that in mind, overall we had a great experience at a nice hotel that provides a very high level of service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for the praise! I was concerned to hear that you had water pressure issues though - could I trouble you to contact me at the hotel so I can find out which room number you stayed in to address the issue? Feel free to call 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager - I would delighted to take your call. We hope to have you back with us and thank you again for all the great comments!
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

One of our best hotels ever. We travel extensively and are used to various conditions of hotels but this was a very pleasant surprise. Every thing from check-in, the room, the staff and restaurant was far above average, while the price was way below what we would expect to pay for a place as nice as this.
We were blown away by how nice the entire staff treated us and the level of friendliness and professionalism by every one we encountered. We will definitely stay there again and again. " Great Job" to all. The level of Management was most apparent. Thanks again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanderingOG
Thank you for taking time out of your day to give us the accolades! I am pleased to hear our staff showed what it takes to meet your expectations - consistency and professionalism are two words we live by at the Marriott. From your comments it sounds like we are walking the walk - we look forward to having you back!
Urbandale, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I booked two nights a night in advanced and got a great price online. We found the hotel easy. Its literally a block from the plaza, a few miles from power and light also.

I will start off by complimenting the staff. They ask how you are doing often. The first morning I came down looking for a shop to buy toothpaste and they gave me some.

Even the repairman, who was working on our floor stopped to say good morning.

The rooms are slightly dated but comfy. The beds and sheets were clean. No complaints other than little picky things that people post pics of constantly....but who cares, its not brand new, and not an expensive place to stay.

The pool and hot tub were clean, a little on the small side but were almost always empty so it was perfect. At the price we got, it was pretty much the only indoor pool around.

We were woken up to the neighbor throwing up all night after what we think was a concert that night. This is certainly not the hotels fault.
Yes, parking and breakfast isnt free, we should have got the package online, but that wasnt a huge deal breaker. I used mobile hotspot for internet. The drinks at the lobby bar were pricey but much cheaper than an owi.

All in all, a great stay, great staff, and location!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the awesome review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay - my apologies about the noisy neighbors, we look forward to having you back wtih us when you get down from Iowa. Safe travels and here's to hoping for some warm weather for both of us the next couple weeks!