“Tired Rooms, Nice Lobby--like too many other hotels”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The best aspect of this hotel is it's location near the famous Country Club Plaza & the friendly staff. Followed by the newly renovated lobby/lounge area.
I was given an upgraded room that included a dining table with six chairs, a buffet and a TV sitting area. None of which I could really take advantage of but it is a corner room and it was quiet. While the furnishings in the room were elaborate, the carpet in the room had a clear wear pattern with an associated dirty smudge. The bathroom shower floor may not have been dirty but I could not be certain--as either the tiles were showing abrasion or the dirt was really ground in. Didn't matter because it didn't inspire use. Everything else in the room was fine and clean enough.
There are NO night table electric outlets. If the hotel was recently renovated couldn't you have at least installed night table lamps with an outlet? So moving the night table is required.
The bathroom is adequate in size but counter space is limited.
The lounge food is decent and service was also good.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for all of your time in writing your review and for staying with us - I was happy to hear you enjoyed our service and the space our Luxury King Room provided (my favorite type of room at our hotel) however I was concerned with your rooms' condition. Would you mind contacting the the hotel and asking for the Guest Services Manager so I may get a few more details from you about your stay? I would like to ensure we address the items you mentioned - thank you again for all of your time!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Plaza in Kansas City is a great place to hang out if you come through for a weekend (or even a week). It's centrally located and has some great restaurants peppered throughout.

Our favorite place to stay when we are in KC is the Marriott, the rooms are a good size, well kept, and service is excellent. Great when traveling solo, as a couple, or even with small children (as we were). You can't beat the location for giving you a sense of being able to walk to things (even though KC isn't really a walking city). If you do come with children, and it's warm outside, be sure to head over to Loose Park, just a few blocks south of the Plaza. It's huge and family friendly (if you go in the daytime), has a rose garden and water sprinklers for kids to run through in the summer. Be sure to go to the far southern part of the park and see a real vintage Civil War canon - left there after the Battle of Westport (seriously).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingMarketer201

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the surrounding area - Historic Loose Park and it's award winning Rose Garden is my favorite park in the city! I frequent it for a run or with my family - we hope to have you back with us next time you are in town from the Windy City!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This service at this hotel was exceptional and beyond all expectations.

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend with two other friends, all of whom are frequent international and U.S. travelers. We picked Kansas City as a meeting spot, as we all live in different parts of the country and we could each reach Kansas City with less than a three-hour flight. So when we checked in and the front desk staff informed us our reservation was for a different Kansas City Marriott, we really had no hesitation accepting his gracious offer to provide us rooms at this hotel at a lower rate.

The rooms were lovely, with the usual comfortable Marriott bed and bedding. My king size room had a desk/chair, plus a lounging chair, sofa and refrigerator. The double room was spacious and well appointed. The toiletries were the newer upgraded Marriott standard and the room had a coffee/tea maker and refrigerator.

But it is the staff at this hotel that gives it the over the top rating. There was not a need the staff did not anticipate or provide without a smile and engaging communication. Every time we had a request or a desire, as one would approach a staff person, the staff would inquire as to how they could assist and immediately handle the request. After a day or two we started saying, “I asked the staff for...(whatever it was)...and they already have taken care of it.” And our standard response became, “Of course they did.”

There was not a single employee who did not pleasantly greet us whenever we encountered them in the hotel. There was not a single employee who did not strive to meet our every need from the front desk, to the bartenders, to the wait staff, the bell staff, the shuttle driver, the housekeeping staff, etc. The concierge, Jon, just went beyond every expectation in making sure we had the right reservations at the right restaurants and accommodating all our other requests. The hotel shuttle service we used to get to and from restaurants was free and was provided by a courteous and delightful driver. It was simply amazing.

The level of service exceeded that which any of us have experienced at five star resorts worldwide. Whoever is training Marriott staff at this hotel should not only be commended but should broaden the scope of his or her training responsibilities.

Though this is not a newer Marriott, the public spaces, such as bars, restaurants, pool and gym were well maintained and comfortable.

We would come back in a heartbeat. Thanks for making this an incredible weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Broder
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Great acollades! Thank you so much for your review of our hotel - I look forward to sharing with our team your great experience. We look forward to having you back with us on the Country Club Plaza.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times for work and pleasure. I've always had great service and the rooms have been nice. I also enjoyed a nice breakfast at their restaurant located in the hotel. I would return for business and with my family for a weekend on the Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and writing a review! I will be sure to pass along your accolades to our Restaurant Staff - we look forward to having you with us again when you have the opportunity to come down from Iowa.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is a typical business hotel within walking distance of the Plaza. The staff was great. Very helpful. Great recommendations. Efficient.

The hotel, rooms, and the rest is par for the course for a Marriott hotel. Solid. Good.

NOTE: this hotel is NEAR, but not inside the plaza. You have to either walk, drive or take their shuttle to the Plaza shops and restaurants. I was there for business, so this did not impact me. But you should know this first.

Oddly, the tile on the walls of the bathroom shower was very dated (circa 1990s), but the rest of the room was nice and updated. Very strange.

Room Tip: Be nice to the check in staff.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the time you took to write a review of our hotel! We hope to get you back with us for a little leisure trip next time but we are happy to have you for business as well!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this property from the 8th through the 11th. Staff was great the only issue I experienced was the lady in the lounge seemed a little standoffish and irritated when you addressed her. She was sometimes not accessible. I travel all year and really enjoy the exclusivity the lounge offers. I actually went in on Monday morning and it was about 9:30am and she was nowhere to be found and I would have liked some assistance with dinner options that evening. On Tuesday morning she left early again so I didn't even bother as I was checking out anyway. If the lounge attendant leaves at 930 then it should be stated that the lounge closes at 930am and not at 10am

Room Tip: I like the corner rooms but rarely get them when using travelweb.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay. I was concerned to read you found our concierge lounge staff to be unhelpful, we regularly receive high marks on the service we deliver in our elite lounge. I appreciate you providing the feedback so we may address any issues with our services.

Our posted hours for breakfast Monday through Friday are 6:30am until 9:00am, most mornings after these hours we will not have staff available in our lounge until our evening reception begins at 5:00pm each day with the exception of Friday night and Saturday which the lounge does not open at all that day. However our staff at the Front Desk is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I would like to ask if you might have a few extra moments to provide some additional details concerning your interaction you did have with our lounge attendant the morning she had the opportunity to answer any questions or requests you had. Please feel free to reach me at the main hotel phone number of 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager, or via email at Michael.cost@marriottccplaza.com. Thank you for all of your time!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed there on a Saturday night. The location is great for access to the Plaza; walking distance if the weather is nice. We had a spacious King room with a great view of the Plaza. Also, it is only a 10 minute cab ride to the Power and Light District or the Sprint Center Downtown. Every staff member we encountered, including front desk staff, bell staff, coffee shop staff, and bar staff were friendly and helpful.
The room decor could use updating, the shower water pressure was a bit low, and the elevator "ping-ping" noise was a bit loud. Yes, you would have to pay extra for breakfast and high-speed internet, but that is clearly stated on the hotel website. With that in mind, overall we had a great experience at a nice hotel that provides a very high level of service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for the praise! I was concerned to hear that you had water pressure issues though - could I trouble you to contact me at the hotel so I can find out which room number you stayed in to address the issue? Feel free to call 816-531-3000 and ask for the Guest Services Manager - I would delighted to take your call. We hope to have you back with us and thank you again for all the great comments!