“Two night getaway”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My wife and I planned a quick getaway to Kansas City with our 6 month old. The hotel was very full and rooms were not ready until about 3 (which is the time they promised when we called to try for early check-in). They called us as soon as the room was ready. Everyone from the valet to the front desk was very friendly and hospitable. Including the hotel staff that was in the lobby always willing to help, it was a nice touch. Valet was $19 ($15 for self park). The room was perfect. Plenty big enough to have a pack and play set up without feeling cramped. The bathroom was average size, but had a nice size counter which was nice for all the bottle washing/drying. We requested extra towels but left to explore the area before they arrived, they were left for us and a message was waiting on our phone to ensure we got them and see if we needed anything else. The next day, housekeeping didn't come until later in the afternoon. When they did, they left plenty of extra towels and washcloths for us. They didn't move our stuff around (which sometimes housekeeping staff tends to do) but left it just as my wife wanted it. My wife usually can find something she is not ok with at just about any hotel, but was very satisfied with our experience at this Marriott.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thank you for he review! I was happy to hear our staff delivered a memorable Marriott Experience! I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us for your next getaway.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The front desk staff was nice. Our multiple rooms were reserved on one credit card with the understanding they they could be separated upon check-in; this did not turn out to be an easy task which wasn't a big issue for our group, but could be for others.

The courtesy van driver was very friendly and
helpful as she took us to and from The Plaza area.

Despite having a full hotel the rooms on the 19th floor were quiet. The bed and pillows were comfortable. We were also able to keep the room temperature comfortable.

Covered parking is attached to the building. The nightly $15 fee does allow for come and go option so driving to area attractions is an option.

We will consider this hotel on future KC trips where The Plaza and Westport area are the focus. I would not stay here if you want to spend time downtown.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for the review! Happy to hear our staff delivered the Marriott Experience - be sure to see us again when you come through for a trip to the Plaza or Westport!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Went for a Sunday night Birthday adventure. The hotel gave me a free piece of chocolate cake from the resturant for my birthday which was really nice. I also enjoyed the lounge downstairs, was good to have a place to have a snack an appetizer after a night out(They do close by Midnight though). The room was nice nothing particulairly special about it. Breakfast at the grill was nice but not worth the price. Staff all around was great. My biggest complaints are 1. It took forever for hot water to get to our bathroom 2. The pool is very small-even for a hotel. 3. The pool was supposed to open at 6am but daily light saving had not been accounted for and it was under 60D in the room at 630.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review - glad to hear you had a great birthday. My apologies about the hot water issue you experienced - would you mind contacting the hotel and asking for the Guest Services Manager so that I can get more information about your stay? I need to see if there is an issue with the shower not allowing enough hot water quick enough. Thank you again for your time!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The best aspect of this hotel is it's location near the famous Country Club Plaza & the friendly staff. Followed by the newly renovated lobby/lounge area.
I was given an upgraded room that included a dining table with six chairs, a buffet and a TV sitting area. None of which I could really take advantage of but it is a corner room and it was quiet. While the furnishings in the room were elaborate, the carpet in the room had a clear wear pattern with an associated dirty smudge. The bathroom shower floor may not have been dirty but I could not be certain--as either the tiles were showing abrasion or the dirt was really ground in. Didn't matter because it didn't inspire use. Everything else in the room was fine and clean enough.
There are NO night table electric outlets. If the hotel was recently renovated couldn't you have at least installed night table lamps with an outlet? So moving the night table is required.
The bathroom is adequate in size but counter space is limited.
The lounge food is decent and service was also good.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for all of your time in writing your review and for staying with us - I was happy to hear you enjoyed our service and the space our Luxury King Room provided (my favorite type of room at our hotel) however I was concerned with your rooms' condition. Would you mind contacting the the hotel and asking for the Guest Services Manager so I may get a few more details from you about your stay? I would like to ensure we address the items you mentioned - thank you again for all of your time!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Plaza in Kansas City is a great place to hang out if you come through for a weekend (or even a week). It's centrally located and has some great restaurants peppered throughout.

Our favorite place to stay when we are in KC is the Marriott, the rooms are a good size, well kept, and service is excellent. Great when traveling solo, as a couple, or even with small children (as we were). You can't beat the location for giving you a sense of being able to walk to things (even though KC isn't really a walking city). If you do come with children, and it's warm outside, be sure to head over to Loose Park, just a few blocks south of the Plaza. It's huge and family friendly (if you go in the daytime), has a rose garden and water sprinklers for kids to run through in the summer. Be sure to go to the far southern part of the park and see a real vintage Civil War canon - left there after the Battle of Westport (seriously).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingMarketer201

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the surrounding area - Historic Loose Park and it's award winning Rose Garden is my favorite park in the city! I frequent it for a run or with my family - we hope to have you back with us next time you are in town from the Windy City!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This service at this hotel was exceptional and beyond all expectations.

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend with two other friends, all of whom are frequent international and U.S. travelers. We picked Kansas City as a meeting spot, as we all live in different parts of the country and we could each reach Kansas City with less than a three-hour flight. So when we checked in and the front desk staff informed us our reservation was for a different Kansas City Marriott, we really had no hesitation accepting his gracious offer to provide us rooms at this hotel at a lower rate.

The rooms were lovely, with the usual comfortable Marriott bed and bedding. My king size room had a desk/chair, plus a lounging chair, sofa and refrigerator. The double room was spacious and well appointed. The toiletries were the newer upgraded Marriott standard and the room had a coffee/tea maker and refrigerator.

But it is the staff at this hotel that gives it the over the top rating. There was not a need the staff did not anticipate or provide without a smile and engaging communication. Every time we had a request or a desire, as one would approach a staff person, the staff would inquire as to how they could assist and immediately handle the request. After a day or two we started saying, “I asked the staff for...(whatever it was)...and they already have taken care of it.” And our standard response became, “Of course they did.”

There was not a single employee who did not pleasantly greet us whenever we encountered them in the hotel. There was not a single employee who did not strive to meet our every need from the front desk, to the bartenders, to the wait staff, the bell staff, the shuttle driver, the housekeeping staff, etc. The concierge, Jon, just went beyond every expectation in making sure we had the right reservations at the right restaurants and accommodating all our other requests. The hotel shuttle service we used to get to and from restaurants was free and was provided by a courteous and delightful driver. It was simply amazing.

The level of service exceeded that which any of us have experienced at five star resorts worldwide. Whoever is training Marriott staff at this hotel should not only be commended but should broaden the scope of his or her training responsibilities.

Though this is not a newer Marriott, the public spaces, such as bars, restaurants, pool and gym were well maintained and comfortable.

We would come back in a heartbeat. Thanks for making this an incredible weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Broder
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Great acollades! Thank you so much for your review of our hotel - I look forward to sharing with our team your great experience. We look forward to having you back with us on the Country Club Plaza.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times for work and pleasure. I've always had great service and the rooms have been nice. I also enjoyed a nice breakfast at their restaurant located in the hotel. I would return for business and with my family for a weekend on the Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and writing a review! I will be sure to pass along your accolades to our Restaurant Staff - we look forward to having you with us again when you have the opportunity to come down from Iowa.