“Decent hotel, close to Country Club Plaza”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It's a decent hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. Lobby bar is cozy. Rooms are average but large and comfortable. Breakfast was average. It's about 2 to 3 blocks to the Country Club Plaza shopping and dinning area. The hotel is also partnered with some restaurants where you will get 10% discount if you have the hotel make reservation or just bring a business card from the hotel. It's about 15 min drive to downtown.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank IntBizTraveler
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your review, I was disappointed to see a below average ranking of our hotel overall. Would you have any additional feedback you could share with me to help improve our services and or product? Feel free to reach me at the main hotel phone number and ask for he Guest Services Manager - thank you for all of your time!

There are newer reviews for Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza

Reviewed 29 March 2014

3 business nights in March. Mobile check in is always nice. All you have to do is stop at the desk & pick up your room key. I always stay on the 19th floor - concierge lounge level - and it is very quiet. The room was the largest I have ever had at this hotel.. It was on a corner and had views on 2 sides. The concierge lounge is always outstanding. From breakfast thru late hours. This time the late afternoon "snacks" were easily enough to have for dinner if you weren't going out. from sliced steak to pork loin it was almost too much. breakfast is always bacon & scrambled eggs plus oatmeal & various fresh fruit and breads. very well equipped exercise facility. About twice the size I usually see and all the equipment was in very good shape. The service thruout the hotel is outstanding and very friendly. My only complaint this visit is that 1 of the 3 elevators was out of service for 2 days.

Room Tip: If you can get them, rooms on the 19th floor overlooking the Plaza are quite & the corner rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thank you for the review, sounds like you got one of our two suites with a panoramic view of the Plaza - one of my favorite rooms. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay ( with the exception of one of our elevators being down - that is all repaired now).

We hope to have you back with us on the Plaza for another great Marriott Experience!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

My wife and I planned a quick getaway to Kansas City with our 6 month old. The hotel was very full and rooms were not ready until about 3 (which is the time they promised when we called to try for early check-in). They called us as soon as the room was ready. Everyone from the valet to the front desk was very friendly and hospitable. Including the hotel staff that was in the lobby always willing to help, it was a nice touch. Valet was $19 ($15 for self park). The room was perfect. Plenty big enough to have a pack and play set up without feeling cramped. The bathroom was average size, but had a nice size counter which was nice for all the bottle washing/drying. We requested extra towels but left to explore the area before they arrived, they were left for us and a message was waiting on our phone to ensure we got them and see if we needed anything else. The next day, housekeeping didn't come until later in the afternoon. When they did, they left plenty of extra towels and washcloths for us. They didn't move our stuff around (which sometimes housekeeping staff tends to do) but left it just as my wife wanted it. My wife usually can find something she is not ok with at just about any hotel, but was very satisfied with our experience at this Marriott.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for he review! I was happy to hear our staff delivered a memorable Marriott Experience! I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us for your next getaway.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The front desk staff was nice. Our multiple rooms were reserved on one credit card with the understanding they they could be separated upon check-in; this did not turn out to be an easy task which wasn't a big issue for our group, but could be for others.

The courtesy van driver was very friendly and
helpful as she took us to and from The Plaza area.

Despite having a full hotel the rooms on the 19th floor were quiet. The bed and pillows were comfortable. We were also able to keep the room temperature comfortable.

Covered parking is attached to the building. The nightly $15 fee does allow for come and go option so driving to area attractions is an option.

We will consider this hotel on future KC trips where The Plaza and Westport area are the focus. I would not stay here if you want to spend time downtown.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for the review! Happy to hear our staff delivered the Marriott Experience - be sure to see us again when you come through for a trip to the Plaza or Westport!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Went for a Sunday night Birthday adventure. The hotel gave me a free piece of chocolate cake from the resturant for my birthday which was really nice. I also enjoyed the lounge downstairs, was good to have a place to have a snack an appetizer after a night out(They do close by Midnight though). The room was nice nothing particulairly special about it. Breakfast at the grill was nice but not worth the price. Staff all around was great. My biggest complaints are 1. It took forever for hot water to get to our bathroom 2. The pool is very small-even for a hotel. 3. The pool was supposed to open at 6am but daily light saving had not been accounted for and it was under 60D in the room at 630.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review - glad to hear you had a great birthday. My apologies about the hot water issue you experienced - would you mind contacting the hotel and asking for the Guest Services Manager so that I can get more information about your stay? I need to see if there is an issue with the shower not allowing enough hot water quick enough. Thank you again for your time!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The best aspect of this hotel is it's location near the famous Country Club Plaza & the friendly staff. Followed by the newly renovated lobby/lounge area.
I was given an upgraded room that included a dining table with six chairs, a buffet and a TV sitting area. None of which I could really take advantage of but it is a corner room and it was quiet. While the furnishings in the room were elaborate, the carpet in the room had a clear wear pattern with an associated dirty smudge. The bathroom shower floor may not have been dirty but I could not be certain--as either the tiles were showing abrasion or the dirt was really ground in. Didn't matter because it didn't inspire use. Everything else in the room was fine and clean enough.
There are NO night table electric outlets. If the hotel was recently renovated couldn't you have at least installed night table lamps with an outlet? So moving the night table is required.
The bathroom is adequate in size but counter space is limited.
The lounge food is decent and service was also good.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for all of your time in writing your review and for staying with us - I was happy to hear you enjoyed our service and the space our Luxury King Room provided (my favorite type of room at our hotel) however I was concerned with your rooms' condition. Would you mind contacting the the hotel and asking for the Guest Services Manager so I may get a few more details from you about your stay? I would like to ensure we address the items you mentioned - thank you again for all of your time!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Plaza in Kansas City is a great place to hang out if you come through for a weekend (or even a week). It's centrally located and has some great restaurants peppered throughout.

Our favorite place to stay when we are in KC is the Marriott, the rooms are a good size, well kept, and service is excellent. Great when traveling solo, as a couple, or even with small children (as we were). You can't beat the location for giving you a sense of being able to walk to things (even though KC isn't really a walking city). If you do come with children, and it's warm outside, be sure to head over to Loose Park, just a few blocks south of the Plaza. It's huge and family friendly (if you go in the daytime), has a rose garden and water sprinklers for kids to run through in the summer. Be sure to go to the far southern part of the park and see a real vintage Civil War canon - left there after the Battle of Westport (seriously).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingMarketer201

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the surrounding area - Historic Loose Park and it's award winning Rose Garden is my favorite park in the city! I frequent it for a run or with my family - we hope to have you back with us next time you are in town from the Windy City!