“What NEXT !!!!”

Ranked #34 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Denver, United States
“What NEXT !!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is 100% my fault I read the reviews and should have thought twice. The best part of this hotel is their valet staff. You get an A+ greeting from some amazing professional class act gentlemen. Then brace yourself for the attitudes of the desk staff. I arrived at the property at 1215 pm and was informed that they had sold out the night before, however I could check in as soon as a room was available my cell number would be put down and I would receive a call or text. I informed the lady that I had a meeting at 230 so would a room be ready by 130 if not I needed to move my meeting to this I was told yes. At 120 I went back to the desk and the lady that had checked me in was no place to be found 2 new ladies where at the desk. I asked if a room was ready for me yet and told no when I informed the lady what I was told not only did she tell me that check in is 3pm the other lady felt the need to inform me that check in is 3 pm and there was no way with the property being sold out I was told I would have a room before 3 pm. WOW ok so now I am being called a liar it's now 140 pm. I had already paid for the room via the reservation line and of course it was nonrefundable. I went to sit and make the calls to rearrange my meeting and again the Valet staff tried to make up for the lacking desk staff by offering to get me water or something else to drink. I then watch a hotel staff member in a red shirt walk over and greet a younger couple loudly it's her little sister asking if they had gotten their room keys yet. She then walks them up to the desk and to my shock they laugh and giggle with the ladies at the desk and are given a room keys.... The valet must of seen this as well as my face as he went to the same lady that had just told me there were no rooms and then had checked in this other staff member's sister and he came back with a room key for me also helped me with my bags. So now I am in the room that shocking was not ready just 10 minutes before and I would like to say the maids cart was clear down the hall from the room I was given. There is an adjoining door in the room I am fresh out of the shower and I hear the dead bolt of the connecting door and whomever it is starts pushing on the connecting door of my room. Ok maybe it's another guest checking to make sure my side is locked I hear the other door shut and lock then 2 minutes later the deadbolt is unlocked and there is someone again pushing on the adjoining door a female traveling alone I shove the chair in the room against the door pick up the phone dial 0 asking if the guest in the adjoining room had asked for the rooms and did I need to move. The gentleman informs me that there is NOT a guest in the room and that it was odd asked if I had the deadbolt locked on my side of the door. I asked if maintenance was in the room as I'd heard male voices to be told he didn't know but if it happened again to give them a call. My travel can of hairspray has been in reach the rest of my stay here. I paid 15.00 for high speed internet that is low speed again called the front desk to be told it could be due to the hotel being sold out. Doors slamming kids running up and down the halls yelling I've given up totally on this property. The next time I come to Kansas City if this is my only option of a 3 star or better hotel I'll be canceling my trip or taking my chances in a 0 - 1 star hotel before I stay at this property again save money and get what I pay for. I've stayed at Marriott properties all over the country and this is a FAIL. The rooms are clean and dated of average size it is and older building.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Charity A
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Charity thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was not only disappointed but disturbed to hear of the service you received at our hotel upon arrival, please accept my apologies.

We will be addressing each issue you experienced with the staff members involved, and will be sure to forward your praise to our valet on duty from your check in as well.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, nor our own with your stay. Thank you again for all of your feedback and feel free to reach me by dialing the main hotel phone number and ask for the Guest Services Manager if I may be of further assistance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
st louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just celebrated a wedding reception at the Marriott Country Club Plaza and stayed for 2 nights. The wedding was wonderful and the food was super at the wedding. The room was clean and the front desk people were very nice.

However the bartenders at the wedding (provided by the hotel) were not very friendly and acted as if they really hated their jobs. Drink glasses were only available in 8 oz size which really makes it inconvenient for someone drinking water or soda. The room got very warm and the small thimble size glasses made it very uncomfortable to stay hydrated. I wish I had brought a old QT 32oz cup with me for the numerous trips to the bar for soft drinks was a pain.

The hotel definitely needs some updating. we stayed on the 5th floor and there was a very musty sour smell in the hallway. Our room was at the end of the hall and the trip to our room always left me nauseas and wishing I could hold my breath for the full trip down the hall.

We went to go eat breakfast in the restaurant and found the place in pretty bad shape. Note the photo of the chairs the cushions which were rough and tattered. I noticed several chairs in the restaurant, near where we were sitting, all with the same condition. The food was expensive for a very basic buffet ... A free buffet at a Drury Inn looks like a five coarse meal in comparison and the Marriott's breakfast buffet which was almost $15 per person.

We had a a double room with 2 very small full size beds making double occupant sleeping uncomfortable.

Parking was extra and the garage spots were very very small...this made it very difficult to find a spot to park and still get out of the car after parking. Several times everyone had to get out on the same side of the car because the neighbor's car was so close we could not open our car door. Also, the garage requires your room key to get in and out and several times the room key did not work, This required us to get out of the car and finding a bellman to open the gate... what a hassle.

We are frequent travelers and often stay a Marriott hotels which most always provide excellent results. The Hospitality was great (except for the bartenders) but this place needs some refreshing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was hoping you might have a few additional moments to contact me at the hotel so I can get a few more details about your stay, this would help in resolving a few of the issues you experienced while with us. Please feel free to call the main hotel phone number and ask for the Guest Services Manager - thank you again for all of your time.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We recently hosted our quarterly client training sessions at this Marriott. Marriott is our preferred brand for hotels that we visit around the country and this one did live up to the name. The major difference I find in Marriott is the staff. Friendly, helpful, no attitudes, attention to detail, go above and beyond in what we call exchange in abundance. This is from Sales staff - Stephanie to all the Banquet crew etc. When I am running these meetings I have the responsibility to ensure that my clients are given excellent service and I greatly appreciate it when the staff of the hotel are working with me towards that goal!!

Location near the plaza was a huge plus and the fact that there is a shuttle was excellent! In any large city parking is always kind of tight and so that didn't bother me.

Restaurants in hotel were ok. Breakfast was good, lunch I gave a pass to and room service was good if you can live with delivery fees. There are lots of restaurants in the area so no lack of choice there.

Two points of recommendation is 1. that the 3rd elevator get fixed. It was very slow going up and down on the weekend with a lot of complaining from hotel guests. 2. Lower the chlorine levels in the pool area - You can smell it as soon as you get off the elevator and it pervaded our meeting rooms on the 3rd floor.

Sleeping rooms were good - I had everything I needed and slept well on the Marriott bedding which is among the best in hotels.

We are booking our return for next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the accolades! I am happy to hear our staff and Stephanie delivered a memorable Marriott Experience for your conference.

Good news for your next trip to stay with us - our 3rd elevator has been awaiting the appropriate parts for repair but are in this week!
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The staff at this hotel was outstanding. The rooms were rather small as was the concierge lounge, but I felt special and at home because of the team of workers. The location is very convenient and the fact that they have a shuttle to take guests to the Plaza (especially when it is raining) is great. Very business friendly.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank lwightie
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for coming all the way down from Montana to stay with us on the Plaza! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff delivered a great Marriott Experience. We hope to have you back with us.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is nothing to write home about. It is a comfortable hotel, but the staff won't make you feel particularly at home or welcome. The parking lot is small and cramped, and costs extra for hotel guests. Breakfast buffet is extra as well. Overall, I would say it's an okay property for business travelers, but I personally don't think I will come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I have also seen your response on Yelp and Google. I was concerned with your comments regarding our staff and would hope you might have a few additional moments to share with me any details about your stay that would help us improve upon our services.

Please feel free to reach me at the main hotel phone number and ask for the Guest Services Manager - I would be delighted to take your call.

Thank you again for all of your time!
Tulsa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Room, ok. Individual coffee maker, shampoo, conditioner, etc. No refrigerator. Good view of plaza from room. Lots of staff to welcome you & offer answers to any question. Room service slightly high but very tasty.
3 floors of valet parking. Challenging to find a parking spot on garage floor 4. Elevator to 5th floor parking not available. Front desk offered to carry luggage, but felt awkward saying ok. $15 a day to park seemed high, but unavoidable. Parking spots were very straight & tight. Concerned about door dings & parking garage poles.
Heard the gym was great.
Food served during business meetings was good.
Nearby museums, and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking he time to write a review. I understand your frustration with the parking, and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this caused. Our parking is very limited on the street we are on but our garage does supply ample spots for all of our guests. Valet is a very big request at our facility and close proximity for retrieval quickly is important for us to deliver a quality service.

I hope we have the opportunity to have you back, should I be of any assistance for future visits please feel free to call the main hotel phone number and ask for the Guest Services Manager.

Thank you again for all of your time!
Blue Springs, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Marriott lost the reservation we made on Mar 22, 2014. Had to make a new reservation but was charged almost 100.00 more for the room. I was shocked to see that there wa a charge for wi-fi in a 300.00 per night room. Also disappointed that I was charged 15.00 to park in their parking
garage. Receive a very nice e-mail stating that they would do better next time we stayed.
There will not be a next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly V
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Please feel free to contact the hotel regarding the discrepancy with your reservation, I would be more than happy to look into this with you. Feel free to call the main hotel phone number and ask for the Guest Services Manager.