“Weekend Stay”

Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Springdale, Arkansas
“Weekend Stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night to take in the attractions around Kansas City. This was not my first choice, due to most hotels being full but was very surprised. This hotel is with in walking distance of the Country Club Plaza. Check in was fast and the front desk personnel were very pleasent and helpful. Our room was nice, spacious, quite and the bed was outstanding. Further the entire hotel from front desk, lobby, bar, evelators and our room was very clean. At no time did we see any trash. We needed to use the sofa bed, when we told the front desk personnel it was not problem. When we arrived back later that night it was made up and ready to go!! The elevators are fast but are in constant use. To get into the hotel is some easy as parking is very limited. I would recommend that you have them park the car for you when staying. Good hotel, up to Marriott standards. Would stay here again.

Green Features: Marriott is very enviromentally friendly, I support the reuse of towels to save our enviroment.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hog46man
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Sounds like a good trip Mark - hope we get to have the opportunity to deliver another great Marriott Experience on your next stay in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and had no issues. The location is superb for the shopping, dining, and nightlife of Country Club Plaza as you could walk no problem. Hotel is also near the Nelson- Atkins Museum, the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Kansas City Art Institute (all 3 behind the hotel)...again walking distance. The rooms are nice, clean, functional, and quite large (we had a concierge level room on the upper floors). The room had a big king bed, sofa, and coffe table. I could say that the room had a terrific view had it not been for another high rise in front of us (not directly next to us but close enough that it was an eyesore for a view) but we realize this is not the fault of the hotel. The public areas are nice and contemporary. The hotel has an inside pool on the upper levels that has a great view of the city. We did not eat at any of the restaurants but did get some over the top delicious mac n' cheese from the Main St. grill to go.

There was an incident upon checkin where a young man (early 20s) was in the lobby by the reception desk vomiting...he appeared very drunk and had a friend trying to help him as well as some hotel staff who looked terrified as did the woman checking us in. It did give me pause and made me wonder what kind of place I was checking into but it was just an isolated incident. However, the lobby did smell like vomit the rest of the evening.

All in all this hotel was perfectly fine and comfortable for our 2 night stay in Kansas City and we could not have done better with the location as we took advantage of it visiting Country Club Plaza and The Kemper Museum next to the hotel. all with ease.

Visited 2011

Room Tip: All rooms seem functionally fine, however, I suspect the Plaza View rooms are the best for views
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Atlas1175
Great review! Glad to hear you got to see some of what our surrounding area has to offer. I was concerned to hear of your initial experience with the man getting sick, but good to hear it was isolated. Hope to have you back!
Reviewed 14 July 2014

older hotel, could use some upgrades to earn its star rating. Could use an in room safe, food vending on each floor, and especially have all elevators running. Only 2 of 4 were operational and with 2 weddings and a reunion long lines. Not up to usual Marriott standards.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Irv Z
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for the review. Please accept my apologies regarding your elevator wait time, we do have one of our three guest elevators currently being repaired but it will be back up and running within a months time. I am excited to announce that we will begin a renovation at the end of this year with all of our public space and all guest rooms - I hope you have the opportunity to give us a second chance!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this property on our way from OKC to Des Moines. We were only there for an evening but had a very nice experience. We did the mobile check-in, and our room was ready when we arrived. The gentleman that checked us in was very friendly and helpful. We were headed somewhere else that evening, but they have a shuttle available for service to Country Club Plaza. Twice we went down to order a couple glasses of wine and both times the staff was friendly and service was quick. The only thing keeping me from giving 5 stars is that we had to wait an extremely long time every time we needed an elevator. I mean loooonng. And with 2 young boys, that is no fun. Also, while the pool has a nice wall of windows (the pool itself is indoors), the pool area just seemed a bit dirty and needed some updating. Especially the outside deck area. It would benefit from some nice outdoor furniture, plants, etc. We did not use the gym next to the pool, but it does seem more updated and nicer than the pool area. As we were leaving, everyone was super nice and very helpful. All in all, we would definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for the review! Please accept my apologies for the elevator wait time, we currently do have one of our three guest elevators being repaired and it will be back up and running within a months time. I am happy to hear our staff delivered a Memorable Marriott Experience - we hope to have you back soon!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 9 July 2014

On our annual trip to Table Rock Lake from Nebraska my wife thought it would be a good idea to split up the trip for our 3 year old son by stopping in K.C. to shop, eat and stay the night.

I have stayed at Marriott Hotels all over the country. And at almost every one of them i have had a good experience. With the exception of this one.

Upon arrival The Valet asked if they could park my car, I said yes. They then took my last name, stepped back and watched me unload all of our luggage on my own as cars stacked up on the busy street behind me while they stood there and talked amongst themselves. After I got our luggage to our cart, and struggling through the door with our overloaded cart, I see 2 front desk employees, and what I found out later is "the manager on duty" again, talking amongst themselves and simply looking at us. My seven month pregnant wife and 3 year old son are little help with heavy bags.

A response to this may be that they sublet valet parking out to another company but YOUR name is on it and YOU are responsible for how they treat YOUR customers.

After we get checking in everything else went fine. Dinner at Cooper's Hawk (HIGHLY recommended) some shopping, drinks and to bed.

2 WEEKS LATER: After noticing an additional $225.00USD charge on my credit card statement i call the hotel asking if this is a pre-authorization charge. The kid I spoke with said there was damage to the room. No email, no call, no anything. Just a charge with no description. Puzzled, I ask what. He says there was a hole in the wall. After asking where he tells me he doesn't know but I can call the General manager on Monday. I ask for his voice mail.

I again call Monday morning around 9AM and get and assistant to the General Manager. And leave a message with her. (very helpful young lady actually.) Finally receive a call from the General Manager who attempts to give me maybe 3 words in the conversation and tells me he will send me pictures. He attempts to abruptly end the conversation after he he gets in his shots before I can respond. I work in customer service 6 days a week. I understand these things aren't fun but it's part of the business. If I spoke to one of our customers with the tone and shortness he had with me, I would gladly step down from a spot of leadership. No place for that.

The one photo I received provided zero answers. It was a picture of a white wall (12"x12" section maybe) with a hole in it. No surroundings, no idea which wall it is, and absolutely no clue what could have caused it. If my wife, son or myself put that hole in the wall I would gladly, gladly pay for it. But there is no way. We slept in the room. That is the only time we spent in it. In at 7, dinner, shopping, drinks (only me obviously) and out at 9am. After, I put in a follow up call to the General Manager to ask where in the room it was and hopefully discuss it further. It has now been 3 days, no call.

This hotel does not deserve to have Marriott's name on it. The Only bad experience I have had at one and I don't think it could have gone worse.

And to get pro active unlike the employees in this hotel, I will jump ahead of this response that will be posted below and tell you I will not be calling to resolve my issue. I have already attempted that and you have failed to help, or call back. If he would like to contact me; great, I carry my cell phone with me at all times and he has that number.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank 411Jared
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
I am sorry to hear of your experience, please feel free to contact the main hotel phone number and ask for the Guest Services Manager if I may be of assistance.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is what you would expect for a business hotel. Nice rooms, good facilities, over priced food and drinks. But with all of those things you'd expect the hotel to include wifi. This is after all 2014.

If you're a business traveler and you're actually here for business, pick another local hotel. You can go work from the lobby and get free wifi, but you don't need to pay for a room to do that.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DaveParkerSEA
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review Dave.

I understand your frustration in paying for internet, and that the option of our free lobby wifi does not fit everyone's needs. We do have great options for speeds on our newly installed wireless and hope it performed for your business stay.

I was concerned about your comments of our food and drinks being over priced and hoped you might be able to contact me to share some of your comments about our dining options. Please feel free to call the main hotel phone number and ask for the Guest Services Manager, I would be delighted to take your call.

Thank you again for the review - I hope it stays cool up in Washington and you have the opportunity to stay with us in the future.
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Great location within walking distance of the plaza and restaurants. Unfortunately, there is a $15 self parking fee on basically the roof of the garage and breakfast is $20 per person. Otherwise, staff was friendly and the room was spacious with a very comfy bed.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for the review Alexa!

I understand your frustration in paying for parking, the neighborhood does have some free self parking spots located on the two streets behind the hotel but it is very limited and public, not just for hotel guests - which is part of the reason we charge a fee so that our garage has enough spots available for guests or visitors.

I hope we have the opportunity to have you back - thank you again for the review.