“Respect”

Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
columbia Mo
“Respect”
Reviewed 12 January 2010

As soon as I arrived at the hotel I received attitude from the employees, from the door man to check in. During check even though I was paying in cash and the hotel had my credit card information I was still told I had to pay $100 deposit, for what? I was never told about any deposit. When asking about certain features of the hotel such as breakfast, shuttle, and so on I was looked at like I was stupid and treated very rudely, I did not appreciate this at all and being that this was new years eve it was not a good start to my night or my friends night. I am not sure if was my age are what but I have never been treated with such a lack of respect at a hotel before when traveling with my family. Also my friends had an issue with security and the staff at the front desk when they relayed to them that there was a car in the garage with its doors wide open, the staff proceeded to do nothing about it. I realize the hotel is not exactly responsible for this but the staff could have acted a little more concerned at three in the morning. What I did appreciate was the service the in that when we would call down for towels are such they were very prompt and would call to make sure we recieved what we had asked for.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank nene121587

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Virginia
Reviewed 6 December 2009

The best thing about the KC Marriott is the staff. From the front desk to the restaurant to folks I met along the way, everyone seemed interested in making my stay great.

The room was typical Marriott in decor and size. No complaints. If you've seen one Marriott . . . Bed was fine. Bathroom was fine but not special. Large flat-screen TV. Desk with lots of outlets for business.

The concierge lounge is nice. Sodas, water, desserts, etc. are free. It offers a very nice breakfast (including eggs & bacon), although the lounge was very crowded for breakfast.

Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. Elevators were quick. There isn't much of a view from any room, given the in-city location of the hotel. The plus side is that there wasn't any noise. My room had a small sitting area and it was easy to watch TV from either the bed or sofa.

The one disappointment is the hotel "restaurant," which is basically the bar. The menu is limited and you're sitting in the bar competing with the staff for attention. Food was tasty enough but, if you have more than 2 in your party . . . good luck finding a table to seat you. The staff tries to be attentive, but I found myself going up to the bar to get water, etc. There are many good restaurants w/in 5 mins walking distance, so that's a viable option.

Self-serve parking is OK -- but spaces are small and cramped. Internet was easy. Lobby decor . . . non-existent. Functional but not much else.

Overall, it's a decent business hotel where the staff tries hard to make your stay pleasant. It's a known quantity as far as Marriott goes -- if you know what to expect from your average Marriott hotel, this is it. I'd recommend the hotel for business but, if you're looking for atmosphere, a romantic getaway, a view, or a great place to eat, look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MisstheDogs
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed 2 December 2009

This is a really nice hotel. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and clean. The room has wireless internet available and had a nice flat screen TV. My room was very quiet, which allowed for a good nights sleep, which is often a challenge in hotels. The staff was helpful and friendly.

The hotel is located right in the Country Club Plaza, which contains a lot of shops and restaurants. The only downside (and this obviously is not the hotel's fault) is that the Country Club Plaza is bit of a drive from the airport. This makes for an expensive cab ride. I recommend checking out the Super Shuttle at the airport. Round trip was roughly $30, compared to a $60 cab ride, one way!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank spartanfan2006
Des Moines
Reviewed 25 October 2009

The hotel staff and accomidations were pleasant and enjoyable during my 4 week stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My wife and I got a great rate for the Marriott through Priceline. We spent two nights in KC for the Keith Urban concert and were a little hesitant to stay outside of downtown, as the concert was at the Sprint Center. It was definitely worth it. We ordered room service upon arriving, and our food was delivered (hot) within 30 minutes. The room had a desk, decent sized HDTV and a very comfortable king bed, with a decent view of the Plaza. The hotel is up the hill from the Plaza, which means walking is out of the question for anyone not up for a challenge. The hotel does offer a free, on-demand shuttle, which was a nice offering, although we did not use it. Watch out for parking. No one mans the entry booth, so we were charged for both nights, even though no one actually saw us enter or exit the parking garage. If I had been dishonest, I could have parked for free. The pool and workout room were very small for such a large hotel. There was one family of four in the pool when we stopped by, and it looked crowded. Overall, this is a very nice hotel, as can be expected from the Marriott family of hotels. The Intercontinental or Raphael are better options if you are paying full price and want to be close to the heart of the Plaza. If you are on a tighter budget and don't mind walking or riding a shuttle, this is an excellent option for Plaza accomodations. Check Priceline before booking full price, though.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KansasByColorado
Arkansas
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I stayed here approximately a year ago and what a difference a year makes. This property has been beautifully upgraded/remodeled. The carpet and furniture is all very plush and right in line with the Marriott standard. Flat screen TVs have been installed and the bed was super comfy. The hotel is walking distance to the plaza, but they also provide a complimentary shuttle if you choose not to walk. I will definitely stay here on a return trip.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank pbark
Maine
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Great staff. The computer to print boarding passes was done and the front desk clerk said she would keep trying to print them for me. When I got back late that night they were in my room, all ready to go. Bar staff friendly and restaurant staff remembered me from three years ago! Top-notch stuff.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends