“GREAT location! Very nice property”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #30 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Birmingham, Alabama
“GREAT location! Very nice property”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

First, this is one of the best locations to stay in the city in terms of walking distance to shopping and restaurants. I stayed at this property for four days and each day i walked to breakfast or checked out the shops. This makes up for the fact that they don't have an on-site gift shop. so something to remember if you need some last-minute items. In one direction up Main Strett there's a CVS pharmacy and Starbucks, the opposite direction is the Plaza mall shopping area. Despite not having a gift shop, i was really impressed with the rooms and lobby area. Lobby area was a really cool hang out spot and plenty of places to log on to your computer. Overall, it was definitely Marriott quality.

On a couple of occasions though I called the "at your service' line and the rep didn't know about a couple of restaurants or directions. But overall, service was good and the valet service was excellent. Room service was ok. Not a LOT of late-night dining options on the room service menu. The bar/lounge area was a tad small, but upscale in decor and great area to watch a game.

Housekeeping was the only downside in that everyday they forgot to leave towels or ice bucket, etc. It was as if they didn't finish cleaning the room and planned to come back, but didn't. But still, it was clean.

There wasn't a place to buy a daily paper or magazine, but there was no need because there were free copies of the Wall Street Journal and USA Today in the lobby. i particularly liked this hotel because it's not in the middle of a high-traffic area and it was easy to get in and out of the property. It was a quick, 15 minute drive straight up Main Street to the downtown district. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Lansing, MI
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Hotel is clean and comfortable. The hotel staff is very friendly. The hotel restaurant is not open in the evening, but you can order off a limited menu at the bar or get room service. The Country Club Plaza is located two blocks from the hotel and has a lot of shopping and restaurant choices. My only complaint is that there is a $10 daily charge for wi-fi internet access in the hotel room. Free internet is available in the lobby, just be sure to remember your ethernet cable. All in all, a good value at $107/night.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank FiscalMan
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a "Girls' Weekend" in February. The hotel was mostly fine. Our two biggest complaints would be:
1. We would have liked a fridge included. (We could have had one delivered for $15, but since our stay was short, we did not feel this was worthwhile.)
2. The hot tub is SO SMALL!! It said the capacity for it was 4 - there were about 8 people in it when we were there (including ourselves), and it was very uncomfortable. Be prepared to get to know the other guests you share it with!!!

The hotel is a decent walk from the Plaza area - I would say it's fine in nice weather, but it was too far in the cold. They do offer shuttle, which we didn't realize at first, and it was prompt and very useful.

As a side note, we had brunch at the Brio Tuscan Grill - everything was WONDERFUL and the French Toast was absolutely amazing. Would have gone back and gotten it again the next day, except we had to leave too early. Definitely try it!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank MindyW
Grand Island
Reviewed 16 February 2010

The Staff was great and the food was out of this world, We had a great view of the City and i am sure we will be back again. the Beds were sooooo comfortable and that made a beautiful morning

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GrandIslandNebraska
columbia Mo
Reviewed 12 January 2010

As soon as I arrived at the hotel I received attitude from the employees, from the door man to check in. During check even though I was paying in cash and the hotel had my credit card information I was still told I had to pay $100 deposit, for what? I was never told about any deposit. When asking about certain features of the hotel such as breakfast, shuttle, and so on I was looked at like I was stupid and treated very rudely, I did not appreciate this at all and being that this was new years eve it was not a good start to my night or my friends night. I am not sure if was my age are what but I have never been treated with such a lack of respect at a hotel before when traveling with my family. Also my friends had an issue with security and the staff at the front desk when they relayed to them that there was a car in the garage with its doors wide open, the staff proceeded to do nothing about it. I realize the hotel is not exactly responsible for this but the staff could have acted a little more concerned at three in the morning. What I did appreciate was the service the in that when we would call down for towels are such they were very prompt and would call to make sure we recieved what we had asked for.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank nene121587
Virginia
Reviewed 6 December 2009

The best thing about the KC Marriott is the staff. From the front desk to the restaurant to folks I met along the way, everyone seemed interested in making my stay great.

The room was typical Marriott in decor and size. No complaints. If you've seen one Marriott . . . Bed was fine. Bathroom was fine but not special. Large flat-screen TV. Desk with lots of outlets for business.

The concierge lounge is nice. Sodas, water, desserts, etc. are free. It offers a very nice breakfast (including eggs & bacon), although the lounge was very crowded for breakfast.

Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. Elevators were quick. There isn't much of a view from any room, given the in-city location of the hotel. The plus side is that there wasn't any noise. My room had a small sitting area and it was easy to watch TV from either the bed or sofa.

The one disappointment is the hotel "restaurant," which is basically the bar. The menu is limited and you're sitting in the bar competing with the staff for attention. Food was tasty enough but, if you have more than 2 in your party . . . good luck finding a table to seat you. The staff tries to be attentive, but I found myself going up to the bar to get water, etc. There are many good restaurants w/in 5 mins walking distance, so that's a viable option.

Self-serve parking is OK -- but spaces are small and cramped. Internet was easy. Lobby decor . . . non-existent. Functional but not much else.

Overall, it's a decent business hotel where the staff tries hard to make your stay pleasant. It's a known quantity as far as Marriott goes -- if you know what to expect from your average Marriott hotel, this is it. I'd recommend the hotel for business but, if you're looking for atmosphere, a romantic getaway, a view, or a great place to eat, look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MisstheDogs
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed 2 December 2009

This is a really nice hotel. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and clean. The room has wireless internet available and had a nice flat screen TV. My room was very quiet, which allowed for a good nights sleep, which is often a challenge in hotels. The staff was helpful and friendly.

The hotel is located right in the Country Club Plaza, which contains a lot of shops and restaurants. The only downside (and this obviously is not the hotel's fault) is that the Country Club Plaza is bit of a drive from the airport. This makes for an expensive cab ride. I recommend checking out the Super Shuttle at the airport. Round trip was roughly $30, compared to a $60 cab ride, one way!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business