Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Marriott Hotels
US$230
US$213
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn-Kansas City Airport(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$90
ComfortInn
US$112
US$94
ComfortInn
US$165
US$150
Best Western Plus Seville Plaza Hotel(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$143
Marriott Hotels
US$264
US$204
  • Restaurant
All reviewscrown centerroom was cleangates bbqfree shuttleyogurtshuttle servicefront deskfree breakfastworld war i museummile radiusfridge and microwavehot tubparking lot isnice staypower and light districtwithin milessprint center
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Made reservations for two rooms with rewards points. Needed to be downtown for a ceremony. Called at night to ensure our arrival to let them know we will be coming in late and if they could hold our rooms and have them near each other. Chris who took the phone call said they would hold the rooms but they were full. Hint of rudeness. Got to hotel at midnight. Ed checked us in and told me where everything was at. Seemed jolly. Had to go back outside and across the drive to get to the entrance where are rooms were. Happy they were together. Rooms seemed clean. Patch work where things had been repaired but looked good. Girls took one room and guys took the other. We were here for a white coat ceremony for the medical school which was near by. Did a little talking as we all were getting situated. Maybe a little too loud. Ed called from front desk to tell us that he was giving us a verbal warning that we were too loud and our door was ajar. I felt bad. There are better ways to tell a guest to be quiet. We probably should have stood outside where the gang of kids were at the door. Anyhow got to sleep to be up early for ceremony. Food was back at lobby area. Looked good and tasted good.
We had just bought a new car and it was quite expensive but felt it was safe cause the parking lot was well lit and a iron fence surrounded the free parking lot.
All and all it was a good stay

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jerrabecca
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Paid for room with rewards points, was told during check out "No bill, you paid with points", then come to find they have two charges pending on my credit card. Called them and was told "the 2nd one may be in error". Really? What was the 1st one for, giggles? All in all, $40 put on "hold" for our card, with possibility of it coming back in within 7 to 10 days. They say "every hotel does this", however in my extensive hotel experience, I have NEVER had this happen. Oh yeah, and the bed was absolutely the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. Still have a sore neck two days later.

Room Tip: Tip: maybe get a room on 1st or 2nd floor? Our bed was like sleeping on rocks, maybe lower floors have better beds.
1  Thank BBrian1972
Loudean M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

First allow to apologize for the misunderstanding in regards to the authorization we obtained from you upon check in. I can assure you, this is a standard practice among all hotels, Marriott or not.

When our guests check in, we ask for them to provide a credit card for incidentals, which can include items from our market, phone calls, or upgraded internet fees. The standard amount is $20 per day. If you look at your account online, it might say “pending” under the status. This is because a charge has not gone through. This pending amount can disappear in 3-5 days. Most banks are of the 3 business day variety. Upon check out, we send an electronic message to your bank telling them we no longer need the authorization. At that point, it is out of our hands. However, we can work together to expedite the release of your funds. We would need to get on a three way call so I may speak to your banks representative as they will not talk to me regarding your account without your approval. I can get the authorization numbers and generally banks are pretty good about releasing the holds. I can also fax or email a letter to your bank asking for the release of funds. Not all banks do this so you would have to ask if that is acceptable.

I am absolutely willing to help in any way I can, but I would need some assistance from you and your bank.

I agree my staff should have been more clear about the authorization we obtained at check in. I apologize for that and it is something I will handle with the associates involved.

My offer to assist in any way possible is still available should you still require it.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

A little confused by some of the recent negative reviews complaining this hotel needs updating, as it appears to have undergone a relatively recent remodel. It's tastefully redecorated, cleanliness is average or slightly above, have certainly seen worse, and wouldn't be the biggest issue with our room. First off- bed is very uncomfortable, and I can sleep nearly anywhere. Mattress manages to be both hard and yet lumpy, I've slept maybe 2 hours due to bed exacerbating back/joint pain. Water pressure is sub par- took is 10 -15 minutes to fill the tub for my 5 yr old's bath. My husband has Marriot elite status, and requested extra towels as part of his room preferences when he made reservation. Not only did we not receive this, we don't even have enough towels and washcloths for the 3 of us- neither my husband nor I fancy sharing a washcloth with a little boy so grubby he turned a white cloth black in spots, nor do we care to share with one another. the hotel's free wifi is practically a mythical creature it's so elusive. It also would have been nice if the remodel had included more outlets near the bed, not just ones for hotel's lamp and clock. I've been to several hotels now that have outlets placed within base of the bedside lamp or built into headboards for phones, tablets, etc. Preferable to have your devices charging beside you, not accross the room, in event you need to access them during the night. For me though, the AC is the proverbial back breaking straw. Initially on entering our room, it was cold enough to hang meat and has basically remained that way ever since. I did manage to warm it up for awhile, then it became "too warm" for my husband. There simply appears to be no comfortable middle ground on this issue. I haven't had many run-ins with staff, although those who greeted us at our arrival were friendly, and my husband had no issues at check-in. It is a little noisy- hallways, neighbors, parking lots- most mid priced hotels are. I see some complaints about the hood being sketchy, and I personally probably wouldn't wander around alone at night, but I wouldn't wander alone most areas of my city at night either. I would feel comfortable going out around here with my husband and/or a group of friends, just use common sense. Overall, the place is alright, but glad we were able to use my husband's Marriot rewards points he earned via work travel so we essentially aren't paying for this little polar adventure on our own dime.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Emily B
Loudean M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Emily,

Thank you so much for posting a review. I take these reviews seriously as they can only help us get better and be the best hotel in Kansas City!

I want to apologize for the aspects of your stay that were unsatisfactory. I am having our maintenance department look into the mechanical issues with the A/C and water pressure. Our front desk staff should have looked at the preferences in your rewards profile and I am sorry that did not happen.

We are actually in the planning stages of our next renovation and a big item on my wish list is the need for more outlets. It is a common request from our guests that we are looking to address.

Thank you so much for staying with us. If your travels bring you back to the Kansas City area, we hope you consider staying with us again!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Found this hotel by accident on an extended motorcycle trip to New Orleans from Wisconsin. Went downtown to experience Kansas City for the night and found this incredibly delightful place. Being downtown the hotel is arranged around an enclosed courtyard with excellent security which is important for motorcycle people. The staff is what really sets this place apart. I have rarely been so welcomed. From the front desk staff who asked about what we wanted in a room and delivered to the shuttle driver, Claude, who was our concierge, taking us to an excellent restaurant for Kansas City barbecue. Just an overnight but one of the most delightful places we have ever stayed.

Room Tip: No bad rooms in the hotel from my opinion.
1  Thank Terry N
Loudean M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments. My staff's focus is make each guest have a memorable stay and I am thrilled we were able to do that for you! We look forward to seeing you in the future should your travels bring you back to the Kansas City area.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We recently spent one night at this location. The property was clean, including stairwells, elevator, pool, food area, and parking lot. EVERY staff member we had contact with was very friendly and helpful including front desk, housekeeping and shuttle. (Can't remember all the names), The shuttle service was convenient taking us to the nearby attractions such as Union Station and the WWI Museum. Both drivers (one was Claude) were great. Breakfast was great and one of the nicer ones I have seen. "Linda" kept the food bar stocked and was very pleasant. I would definitely stay at this location again. (air conditioning unit was a bit noisy, but not much different from other hotels - not a deal breaker). We chose this location due to the great reviews from other people and we were not disappointed!!! I would recommend this location for families desiring a location close to the downtown attractions with a much more affordable rate.

Room Tip: No tips - This was the only room available when needed and I was grateful to find a less expensive offering (compared to the hotels right at Crown Center). For the "tourist" type traveler, I think any room would be fine for the 1 or 2 night stay.
1  Thank Linda O