Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 15 July 2009

The hotel itself was fine. Breakfast was standard, rooms were fine. My friend and I were driving from St. Louis to KC and I ended up getting sick along the way and we ran into torrential rain. We called to see if we could switch to a different Fairfield Inn even though it was past 6pm. They were rude and of told us no, but we could contact the Fairfield Inn general number to see if they would help us. Since that number reached somebody in India, they were no help. We called back the hotel and said we would be keeping out reservation since we had no choice. We finally made it there at midnight. After waiting 30 minutes to check in (at midnight!!) we were told our room had been cancelled. Luckily there were rooms available, but that is not the point.

The following morning we discovered the outlet by the sink was not working. We had to remind them again before it got fixed.

The hotel is in a bit of a seedy area, definitely do not walk around there after dark.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Traveler09

Reviewed 16 May 2009

Needed a place to stay for one night in Kansas City (NCAA Men's Tournament). Standard room, standard Fairfield breakfast. VERY convenient to downtown Kansas City and Sprint Center. Would stay here again if in area.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2008

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn Union Hill for a weekend of shopping and eating barbeque. The location is just south of Crown Center and just a few minutes away from Country Club Plaza, so it's convenient to both. We booked a jacuzzi suite, which worked out well. Breakfast is above average for a complimentary hotel continental breakfast. The waffles are great, and there is cereal, pastries, fruit, and eggs available if that's your preference. The bed was one of the more comfortable beds I've slept in at a hotel in a while. The only negative I'd list is that the caulk in the shower is kind of icky and needs replacing. The pool, while small, is heated, which makes it very comfortable to use.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 December 2008

Some of the areas of the hotel were being rennovated. My room was one that had been recently rennovated, and everything was new. Some construction was going on in the hallway, but I was placed in a location where I could not hear it. I noticed other posts mentioned security, but I did not see any security while I was there. I had to leave to catch my return flight early, and could have used that service, since I was alone. There were some other hotel guest at the fron of the hotel when I left so I felt okay. The staff were very pleasant, and helpful. The breakfast was good, and the lobby was clean. There are not alot of places to eat in the immediate area, except for a few fast food places. I started not to rent a car, but was glad I did. I went to the American Jazz Museum, which I would recommend for people, who don't really know alot about the music. They profile some famous jazz artist. The Blue Room is nice, and I love all of the albums covers with all of the jazz artist. I went on the weekend of the Rhythm and Ribs Fest, so there was alot of activity in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 18 October 2008

We just spent a weekend at this hotel and had a great time. The hotel clearly just redecorated because we could smell the new carpet. It seemed to have all new furniture. We had a fridge and microwave in our room. The room was standard size. We did not use the pool or jacuzzi. The hotel is only a few blocks from the Crown Center...a little too far to walk though.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Stayed at the hotel for 9 nights for a conference at the Hyatt Crown Centre. Check inn was easy and I was upgraded to a jacuzzi room which was delightful. I found the hallway to be very unkept with wallpaper falling off and the carpet very worn, but the room itself was much better. Good comfortable bed, lots of pillows and a working fridge and TV. Ate the breakfast most days, food was fine, nothing flash but quite acceptable. I particularly liked the paper every morning and the free computer with internet access as well. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2008

This was a pretty average Fairfield Inn. There were some needed renovations going on in March. Pool was very small. Room was clean, on the small side. I thought the location was perfectly fine, but could see how some people not used to being in "the city" might be just a bit uncomfortable. Convenient location about halfway between downtown sites and the Plaza. Everything was fine.

If you are planning on using the pool request a room in that building or one on the floor that has the interior crossing (I think 3rd floor) it was a chilly walk between the buildings when the kids were wet!

Stayed: March 2008