“Lots of maintenance issues”

Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 2 October 2009

This was an absolutely awful hotel from the room to the management, especially the general manager. My room had a mini refrigerator that had a bad seal and was either icy cold or warm. There was no medium. The toilet clogged up and the maintenance guy was unhappy that he had to plunge it, and he slammed my door on the way out and never said a word to me either entering or exiting. Several times I got no towels. Several times I got no cups. Once there was crumbs on the floor where the cleaner had eaten and left a trail. Some of my colleagues were offered upgrades to their rooms because of all the problems, and some of my group were not offered any upgrades.
I was in the group that wasn't offered any upgrade. When I told the front desk clerk that I was checking out early, he sounded like everything was ok. Then the general manager gave me a call back and told me that she was very upset with my group because we had cost her money for a shuttle service and now many of us were checking out early. She told me that I was causing her to cancel the shuttle for the rest of our group. I explained that I had driven and it wasn't my fault about the shuttle. She was very indignant and started asking me all kinds of questions like where I was moving to. She then told me that she was very unhappy with our group staying at the Fairfield. She tried to blame everything on me. All I can tell you is don't stay here. The area is very bad too. It's a place where you are afraid to go out at night.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank Hawkflying

Reviewed 24 September 2009

Stayed here because it had a UMKC rate and we usually stay at this level of hotel class. It did have some good points, breakfast, parking and generally good shape. However, it had a few more bad points, questionable neighborhood to the east, a few bugs in the room, beds worned out, bathrooms need more updating and walking/talking noise could be easily heard. So, I'm staying else where next visit to KC.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank jschuman
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the Sprint Center, but still had free parking and free breakfast unlike hotels that were within walking distance to the Arena. I was slightly worried because of the reviews of the hotel being in a questionable neighborhood etc. Yes this hotel is downtown, but it is not surrounded by spray-painted graffiti, or unsavory loiterers. There are businesses surrounding the hotel, and no vagrants in sight. The parking lot is fenced in with only 2 entrances and there is a security guard at night. After 12am you must use your keycard to open the sliding doors to the lobby-another nice safety feature. A quick taxi ride to the Sprint Center $10 including tip and finding a taxi to take us home was not an issue like I have experienced in other cities. The front desk staff was super friendly and the breakfast was standard, but satisfying. It was free afterall. The beds were surprisingly comfortable- I prefer a firm mattress and so many hotels have soft pillowtop mush. We had a room right off the street, but street noise wasn't a big issue, especially because the a/c was running non-stop due to the 100 degree weather outside. Overall this was a great no fuss, no muss stay. I didn't come to the hotel expecting a luxury resort, just a clean, up-to-date, safe, city hotel for a great price and that is exactly what I got.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eri311
Reviewed 4 August 2009

A group of us stayed at this location after attending a concert at the Sprint Center and going to the Power and Light Dist. The staff was very nice and friendly, it was a quick cab ride $6 to the concert and back. The breakfast was nice as well.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2009

The hotel itself was fine. Breakfast was standard, rooms were fine. My friend and I were driving from St. Louis to KC and I ended up getting sick along the way and we ran into torrential rain. We called to see if we could switch to a different Fairfield Inn even though it was past 6pm. They were rude and of told us no, but we could contact the Fairfield Inn general number to see if they would help us. Since that number reached somebody in India, they were no help. We called back the hotel and said we would be keeping out reservation since we had no choice. We finally made it there at midnight. After waiting 30 minutes to check in (at midnight!!) we were told our room had been cancelled. Luckily there were rooms available, but that is not the point.

The following morning we discovered the outlet by the sink was not working. We had to remind them again before it got fixed.

The hotel is in a bit of a seedy area, definitely do not walk around there after dark.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Traveler09
Reviewed 16 May 2009

Needed a place to stay for one night in Kansas City (NCAA Men's Tournament). Standard room, standard Fairfield breakfast. VERY convenient to downtown Kansas City and Sprint Center. Would stay here again if in area.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2008

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn Union Hill for a weekend of shopping and eating barbeque. The location is just south of Crown Center and just a few minutes away from Country Club Plaza, so it's convenient to both. We booked a jacuzzi suite, which worked out well. Breakfast is above average for a complimentary hotel continental breakfast. The waffles are great, and there is cereal, pastries, fruit, and eggs available if that's your preference. The bed was one of the more comfortable beds I've slept in at a hotel in a while. The only negative I'd list is that the caulk in the shower is kind of icky and needs replacing. The pool, while small, is heated, which makes it very comfortable to use.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)