“very convenient for kc marathon-1/2 marathon and crown center”

Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
springfield mo
“very convenient for kc marathon-1/2 marathon and crown center”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

i stayed here 10/16/09 the night before the 2009 kc 1/2 marathon. 10 years ago back in 1999 i stayed at the residence inn right next door (just north) of the fairfield for 3 months for job training. the fairfield inn wasn't even built back then so this hotel is 10 years old or less. the residence inn does have a full kitchen and living area but i did not need that for a one night stay. my room at fairfield had a nice mini refrigerator and small microwave. i used the refrigerator but not the microwave. the only issues i had with this room are the caulk in the bathroom looked dirty and you don't get true curtains. only sheers since i was on the fourth floor. i like to be able to close the curtains. i was on the south side of the building in room 440. staff was super friendly upon check in and got me checked in fast. they "upgraded" my room because i am a mariott rewards member. I don't know what i got different from my friends who stayed there for the 1/2 and full marathons but it was a clean nice room. comfortable bed. could barely hear any one in halls. parking lot is really tight when you pull in off main st. if someone is waiting to pull out they almost need to leave the driveway for you to be able to pull in. checkout was automatic. bill was at my door early the next morning and i had the room until noon which was great because i could run my 1/2 marathon and have time to come back and shower and leave well before 12:00.

Oh by the way the marathon-1/2 marathon was started at crown center. it was probably a 5 block walk. not bad at all.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank stallison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Festus, MO
Reviewed 2 October 2009

This was an absolutely awful hotel from the room to the management, especially the general manager. My room had a mini refrigerator that had a bad seal and was either icy cold or warm. There was no medium. The toilet clogged up and the maintenance guy was unhappy that he had to plunge it, and he slammed my door on the way out and never said a word to me either entering or exiting. Several times I got no towels. Several times I got no cups. Once there was crumbs on the floor where the cleaner had eaten and left a trail. Some of my colleagues were offered upgrades to their rooms because of all the problems, and some of my group were not offered any upgrades.
I was in the group that wasn't offered any upgrade. When I told the front desk clerk that I was checking out early, he sounded like everything was ok. Then the general manager gave me a call back and told me that she was very upset with my group because we had cost her money for a shuttle service and now many of us were checking out early. She told me that I was causing her to cancel the shuttle for the rest of our group. I explained that I had driven and it wasn't my fault about the shuttle. She was very indignant and started asking me all kinds of questions like where I was moving to. She then told me that she was very unhappy with our group staying at the Fairfield. She tried to blame everything on me. All I can tell you is don't stay here. The area is very bad too. It's a place where you are afraid to go out at night.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank Hawkflying
St Louis
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Stayed here because it had a UMKC rate and we usually stay at this level of hotel class. It did have some good points, breakfast, parking and generally good shape. However, it had a few more bad points, questionable neighborhood to the east, a few bugs in the room, beds worned out, bathrooms need more updating and walking/talking noise could be easily heard. So, I'm staying else where next visit to KC.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank jschuman
NW Arkansas
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the Sprint Center, but still had free parking and free breakfast unlike hotels that were within walking distance to the Arena. I was slightly worried because of the reviews of the hotel being in a questionable neighborhood etc. Yes this hotel is downtown, but it is not surrounded by spray-painted graffiti, or unsavory loiterers. There are businesses surrounding the hotel, and no vagrants in sight. The parking lot is fenced in with only 2 entrances and there is a security guard at night. After 12am you must use your keycard to open the sliding doors to the lobby-another nice safety feature. A quick taxi ride to the Sprint Center $10 including tip and finding a taxi to take us home was not an issue like I have experienced in other cities. The front desk staff was super friendly and the breakfast was standard, but satisfying. It was free afterall. The beds were surprisingly comfortable- I prefer a firm mattress and so many hotels have soft pillowtop mush. We had a room right off the street, but street noise wasn't a big issue, especially because the a/c was running non-stop due to the 100 degree weather outside. Overall this was a great no fuss, no muss stay. I didn't come to the hotel expecting a luxury resort, just a clean, up-to-date, safe, city hotel for a great price and that is exactly what I got.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eri311
Warrensburg, Mo.
Reviewed 4 August 2009

A group of us stayed at this location after attending a concert at the Sprint Center and going to the Power and Light Dist. The staff was very nice and friendly, it was a quick cab ride $6 to the concert and back. The breakfast was nice as well.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2009

The hotel itself was fine. Breakfast was standard, rooms were fine. My friend and I were driving from St. Louis to KC and I ended up getting sick along the way and we ran into torrential rain. We called to see if we could switch to a different Fairfield Inn even though it was past 6pm. They were rude and of told us no, but we could contact the Fairfield Inn general number to see if they would help us. Since that number reached somebody in India, they were no help. We called back the hotel and said we would be keeping out reservation since we had no choice. We finally made it there at midnight. After waiting 30 minutes to check in (at midnight!!) we were told our room had been cancelled. Luckily there were rooms available, but that is not the point.

The following morning we discovered the outlet by the sink was not working. We had to remind them again before it got fixed.

The hotel is in a bit of a seedy area, definitely do not walk around there after dark.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Traveler09
Columubs, Ohio
Reviewed 16 May 2009

Needed a place to stay for one night in Kansas City (NCAA Men's Tournament). Standard room, standard Fairfield breakfast. VERY convenient to downtown Kansas City and Sprint Center. Would stay here again if in area.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends