“Vey solid hotel”

Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Minneapolis
“Vey solid hotel”
Reviewed 22 June 2008

My family had a two night stay. A very nice hotel - clean, well kept, relatively new. Free underground parking for guests. No problems with staff. The complimentary breakfast was above average for Hampton Inns - my whole family thought there was a big selection. The fitness center wasn't huge, but had newer, nice equipment, including two really nice new treadmills. If you are going to the Plaza for some shopping, it's just down the (steep) hill. The neighborhood is quiet.

The knocks on the property (and they are minor) - the room was a little smallish, the toilet, when flushed, was unbelievably loud and had the tendency to spray water on the bathroom floor if the lid wasn't down, and the pool (according to my teenage daughters) was brutally cold.

Overall, a good Hampton Inn, and a bit of a steal for lodging around the Plaza.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I do not know why I had never stayed here before on my previous trips to Kansas City. It is an excellent hotel. It beats most of the other Hilton family chains in the area by a landslide. The room was very big. It was not configured like a lot of the newer Hamptons and I felt the room was more spacious. It basically had 2 separate rooms.

The breakfast area was large so I didn't feel like I had no where to sit in the morning even though the hotel was full. The location was excellent. It is right at Country Club Plaza so there is a host of shops and restaurants right within walking distance.

When I am in Kansas City again, I will stay here.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Omaha, NE
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Clean. Nice buffet breakfast included. Free underground parking. Located on a fairly steep street.....could be difficult for many to easily make their way up to the hotel after a day of shopping!

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — location on a fairly steep hill
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Itsonlyanopinion
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 December 2007

While up a huge hill from Country Club Plaza, this hotel is by far one of the best values in Kansas City.

The location of the hotel cannot be beat, but is not an easy walking distance to the Plaza with those that cannot climb steep hills. Plenty of great food and shopping areas are a couple of blocks from the hotel.

While not the largest rooms of the many Hampton Inns that I have stayed, they are very clean and well maintained. There is a very large pool with a sun deck and a nicely appointed fitness center off the main lobby.

The popularity of this hotel has resulted in an insufficient number of tables at breakfast time and I would suggest that the hotel management eliminate a few large and comfortable lobby chairs and replace them with more breakfast seating.

In the evening, there is a Manager’s reception with discounted beer and wine along with a couple of packaged snacks. Drury hotels beat the evening reception by a long shot, but most Hampton Inns do not offer this service.

For a great value in an awesome location, I would choose this Hampton Inn again. The staff is great, the rooms are nice and clean and the parking if free!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Internet service was very inconsistent
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank 808-Haliewa
Florissant
Reviewed 27 December 2007

First, as with all hotels, check the current online rate. Then, with internet price in hand, call the hotel directly. With this method, I got my room for $134 plus tax instead of $170 plus tax.

The location is 2 blocks from the heart of Country Club Plaza. It is down (or up) a steep hill. If you like to walk, it is a great location. We have stayed at this Hampton at least 4 times and would not consider anything else. Price is okay considering you're in the middle of Country Club Plaza.

The breakfast staff (including a lady named-I think-Kathy) were polite, kind and friendly with a good word for everyone. The breakfast has hot and cold food, and was plentiful. It was good for a day-starter and it was free.

The front desk staff is usually great-once in a while they get a bit tired and can be abrupt. But they do take care of what needs to be done.

The room was clean, everything worked, and was very comfortable. I slept like a rock (an unusual occurance). The heating/cooling was perfect, as was the shower temp. Hey, Hampton, I stand 5 ft 3 and could not reach the shower nozzle to change the flow-so the fancy multi-spray shower head was lost on me.

All in all, if we're doing KC, we stay here.

• Liked — location, price, free breakfast, clean
  • Disliked — construction, pool crowded, noisy crowds in lobby
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanderkat21
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2007

Because of the good reviews we booked at this hotel. Overall all the reviews are accurate. Good breakfast, good beds, clean, good staff, good internet.
We were on the second floor of the hotel in the front. It was very noisey, street noise, people coming in and out and there was a party outside, but when we complained, security shut them down quick.
We should have insisted on a higher floor, don't stay on the second floor! There is construction in the front of the hotel that starts about 8am, stay away from that end, i am guessing it will be there until the end of the year.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travelingtexan69
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed 27 July 2007

Rude Rude Rude.. That is all I can say regarding the service this time at the Hampton Inn. I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past few years and have always judged other Hampton Inns by this property. I hope it was just a one tme thing, but it appears that the hotel has gone way down hill. First of, my reservation was not correct, eventhough I had he printed confirmation reserving a suite, the hotel had me for a standard room. The matter was resolved, but not before the girl at the desk had rolled her eyes at least 4 times. The hotel is undergoing construction that is not stated on the website and the noise at 5:30 am was simply unacceptable.
The hotel still has very nicely furnished rooms and great public areas. When I called to extend my check out by 3 hours I was given the run around by Manager "Eddie" , after some time he called me back and reluctantly extended my stay, but not after sighing repeatedly and making sure I knew just how inconvenient this was for him. I am a Hilton gold member and former diamond member with over 600,000 points and I expect to be treated better as a guest, but I think I ruined poor Eddie's day. Over all it's a great place to stay in that area, just don't expect much from the poorly trained kids at the desk.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled on business