“Tried to reserve a Group Event! They called the Highway Patrol!”

Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri
“Tried to reserve a Group Event! They called the Highway Patrol!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was trying to get a sense of the place at 12 noon on a Friday, and talk to the Sales department about doing a Company meeting of 50 to 60 people. Renting meetng rooms, doing a banquet, breakfast, lunch and dinner for two days. Sales was in a meeting, so they told me to check back later. This is a $25,000.00 dollar deal! so I went and had lunch. Came back to ask if I could see the meeting rooms. While I was waiting to talk to the front desk, there was only two people on the desk with four people waiting. The lady I had talked to earlier, took 20 minutes to take care of "one" guest. I asked her why it took so long to help one person, (I will have 50/60 people checking in, and they are folkes who expect service) and she said the Customer had 3 rooms. I said your service kinda sucks, if it take you 20 minutes to handle 3 rooms. This lady leaves to find the Salesperson for events, and called the secuity department! (highhway patrol) They came and talked to my wife and I. I guess they were told we were crazy or something. I just want to have a good meeting, but could not get anyone at Ameristar to care. Hopefully someone there cares about the hotel business, or maybe they only care about the Casino???????????????

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Robert S
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Robert, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Ameristar. Ameristar prides ourselves on our commitment to delivering great guest service. As a testament to this, our property was recently named a KC Visitor Choice Award Winner. With this being said, we sincerely apologize that you had to wait while we assisted other guests and a result, we fell short of your expectations. Our management team has reached out to you and looks forward to speaking with you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Crane, Missouri
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay at the Ameristar. From the friendly staff at the desk to my wonderful room. The large bathroom had two sinks so two people could get ready at the same time. Room was really large and well appointed. Will recommend using the complementry valet parking. The parking is a distance from the hotel. Will stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charity54
Wilton, Iowa
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed two nights at the Ameristar Casino Hotel, comped on an email offer, Oct. 14 & 15, 2013. The hotel is modern and clean. The room we stayed in had two queen size beds. The beds were very firm, comfortable to my wife, too firm for me. There was a small refrigerator and a safe, along with drawers for clothes, in the stand under the HDTV. The TV had HD programming also (many hotels have HDTV's and standard def programming). The bathroom had two sinks, a standard tub/shower combo, and a separate room for the toilet. Everything worked fine, and was spotlessly clean.

Valet parking is free (don't forget to tip the attendant when you pick up your car), fast and convenient. Best option when staying at the hotel. Pretty long walk to surface and garage parking. The hotel has no pool or fitness center.

My only complaint is a sort of "bait and switch" pulled by the desk clerk when we checked in. We arrived about 2 PM, and were told the king bed standard room we had reserved was not available till 4 PM, but that there was a two queen "suite" available now, and the upgrade was only $10 per night. We figured why not, as we were already staying on a comp. The "suite" was a regular two queen room, with a small couch and table and two chairs at one end. I was told at checkout there was also a balcony, but didn't see it. To me, a suite has a door between the bedroom and sitting area. This room was not a suite. The lesson only cost us $10 per night, and if we ever stay here again, we won't fall for it. I made my unhappiness known when we checked out, and on the survey email we were sent.

Otherwise, it was a good stay. The hotel was quiet, and convenient to the casino. We would consider staying here again, especially if we were sent another comp offer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pjpeck
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thanks for sharing your review and for staying with us. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience. We do our best to accommodate all of our guests' room preferences in a timely manner. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.
Grovespring, Missouri
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had an offer for a free night so we stayed here to celebrate our Anniversary. The hotel was clean, the bed was comfortable and the room was very nice. The only issue I had was that when I made the reservation I told them the only thing that mattered was that our room be Non Smoking and whoever made the reservation put that it needed to be Smoking. The front desk clerk was able to fix that and give us a non smoking room without any issue. The buffet here is very good, too and it is easy to get enough comps to pay for the buffet. We will definitely stay here again. The casino is very open and I didn't notice the smoke as badly as I do in some other casinos. The drink service was not great as I played slots for several hours and don't think I was ever approached once to see if i wanted something to drink.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Happy Anniversary! We're honored that you chose to celebrate with us. Sorry for the mix up at check in, but happy that we were able to get that straightened out for you. We appreciate your feedback and I'll pass it along to our beverage team. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you next time.
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Great stay at Ameristar KC. Rooms very clean. Staff helpful. Casino needs more drink service - very slow and it wasn't that busy. The valet parking is nice and quick. Was from out of state and never been to KC and overall great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
I'm glad you had a great first experience in KC! Thanks for your feedback and for visiting.
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Really enjoyed our two day stay. Debbie at the front desk of the hotel is a fantastic,happy, and enjoyable person to work with at your casino.I wish all front desk people enjoyed their work and treated people the way she does.

Room Tip: Being nice goes both ways. It helps to enjoy yourself. Remember the employees are working and we are...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vaca-envy
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us! Thanks for sharing your review and I'll pass your shout out along to Debbie.
Warsaw, Missouri
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just spent another fun and comfortable weekend at Ameristar KC. The rooms are very nice, beds are just perfect, and the staff is friendly and very accommodating. Close to most attractions, we attended a KC Royals game and did some mall shopping. The casino is a comfortable temperature and kept very clean and inviting. We have stayed at other casino hotels in the area and this is by far our favorite.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thanks for coming back to see us and for sharing your review! I'm glad you had a comfortable stay and we're so happy to hear we're your favorite.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
#3 of 109 in Kansas City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,113 reviews
The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City? Share your experiences!