“Security lacks common sense”

Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Ranked #48 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I had just renewed my drivers license and received a paper copy, when I tried to enjoy the casino the doorman asked me all my information on my license. Of course I got all the questions right and my license was scanned and cleared but I was not let in because it was temporary. Anyone can clearly see I'm on the wrong side of thirty but the doorman didn't see it. I was refused and I was embarrassed that my friends couldn't have a good time at this place because I got a new license.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank SpecimanZ
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry for any inconvenience or embarrassment this may have caused you. This information will be sent to the Guest Experience Manager for review.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed 06/26/14 and 27th everything was fine until I bought lunch for my 2 boys age 11 and 12 (charged as adults) I dropped them off and sat and had coffee at the Star Club courtyard in full view of the entrance of the buffet. We met up as they left as we were talking we were approached and I was told by an employee that the girl in charge of security thought the kids should be 14 to be able to eat by themselves and were not welcome again and would I like to speak to her boss. So I questioned her boss about why she was so unfriendly toward the kids and if it was okay for them to see a movie together at the other end of the entertainment complex and never got a clear answer. She just kept repeating that this was a casino not a family destination. One of the most unpleasant people I have ever met.

Martin Reynolds

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Nick R
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello, We are sorry to hear about your recent visit to our property. However, we are concerned about the safety of all our patrons. We do ask that you please call the property directly and ask for the security department. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

For what we paid for the room I expected a lot more. This room should have been 79.00 max. The staff at the front desk and the bellman were very friendly and took great care of us. The food at the buffet and the diner was pretty good. The desserts were fantastic. Hated that the no smoking section of the casino was on the top floor where all the smoke rose. Since I am highly allergic couldn't stay in the casino very long.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kcmomshopper
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We don't gamble much, but love to go to casino's for dinner. Their buffet restaurant was amazing! From the variety of food and desserts to the staff, it was fantastic. Its not ur normal cheap buffet food either...soo good! We brought our two toddlers and it went awesome. By far my favorite casino to dine at.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Reeva H
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My parents were in town for a week and stayed at this hotel since it is very close to my house. The room had two queen beds, fridge in room, table & chairs,spacious bathroom with tolitries and nice flat screen with remote in room. The room was very nice and clean. The beds where very comfortable with nice linens. At this resort there is a movie theater, several resturants fast food as well as resturants, an arcade, gift shop, and lets not forget the gambling. They also have a place where you can take your kids called Kids Quest, where you can take kids under twelve for child care and pay an hourly rate while you indulge in adult gaming without worrying about them. Long storey short this is a great place to stay & play. It is also just a short drive(a couple of miles) away from Worlds of Fun & Oceans of Fun. If you go to this hotel make sure you sign up for a gaming card and and recieve special offers on rooms and food discounts.

Room Tip: I have seen several of their rooms and all seem pretty good to me.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I worked with Kent Korte on my company's meeting, hotel rooms and dinner in June 2014. He had great follow-through and was consistently making sure that we had what we needed throughout the entire process. He accommodated all of our AV needs for the meeting, made sure that our 17 hotel rooms were properly booked and check-in and check-out dates were correct, and put his top wait staff on our private dinner party of 17 at the Great Plains Cattle Co. steakhouse - which was fantastic. Everything went very smoothly. More hotel/restaurant venues need a manager like Kent - he made my life easier with planning and gave me peace of mind knowing that our party was taken care of. Couldn't have asked for better service at all points of planning and day-of. I would highly recommend Kent, his staff and this venue.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Sara, thank you very, very much for the kind words regarding Kent Korte and the rest of our team! We are thrilled that you and your team had a memorable event. We will be honored to share your feedback with the entire team. We look forward to hosting you and your group again.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

6/4/2014

We've gambled in the past at Ameristar and really enjoyed ourselves. So, we decided to book a room so we wouldn't have to travel back home. Well...........wish we hadn't bothered!
Now don't get me wrong, the room was very clean and equipped with the usual things. Staff was wonderful and even let us in the room way early. But.... The bed was hard as a rock and neither one of us got much sleep. The bathroom wasn't that great. Lighting was poor and the bottom of the tub should've had something on it to prevent from falling. It was very slick so one had to be careful. And the toilet was so low, even though I'm not that old, I had problems lifting up to get off of it. I can't imagine how elderly people could manage on their own. Especially when there wasn't and grab bars to help one out.
And why in the world, a nice place like this is, not have a breakfast buffet????? There was only one place that had breakfast with few items on the menu and high prices to go with it!
We checked out early the next morning and went to Harrah's. Super buffet and we had a great time gambling. Although we never expect to win or anything like that, our money lasted a lot longer playing there then it did at Ameristar. If we do decide to stay overnight again, it will be back to Harrah's!

Room Tip: This was a Deluxe room, not a suite. But still expected more then what we got!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ramada Kansas City
Ramada Kansas City
#76 of 109 in Kansas City
Comfort Inn & Suites near Worlds of Fun

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City? Share your experiences!